Main Menu

jam band?

Started by bearass, Feb 28, 2008, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearass

does anyone else get perturbed when mmj is brushed off as a jam band..i know i do

easy jim

Quotedoes anyone else get perturbed when mmj is brushed off as a jam band..i know i do

yeah fuck that...if I heard anyone say that, I would bust out a mad rant until they took it back.
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

aMD

i have a friend who insists that mmj is a jam band.  to me that's not only pigeonholing their music but a bit of an insult.  my friend, on the other hand, loves jam bands and loves mmj.  to me they are a rock and roll band. plain and simple.

ManNamedTruth

Quotedoes anyone else get perturbed when mmj is brushed off as a jam band..i know i do

YES and i do like jam bands. but they're not a jam band!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

thatswhatshesaid

why in the hell would anyone call them a jam band? thats like calling led zeppelin or pink floyd a jam band. i personally like a few of them, but mmj most certainly is not one. ive yet to hear a 20 minute version of "off the record," and until i do, and they do it regularly, they will be a rock and roll band in my opinion. i guess people call them that because there is a crossover fan base. fuck putting labels on music anyway!!!!!

Jon T.

I first got into them after It Still Moves came out.  I remember telling someone they were "kinda like a jam band but not really".   It was because i love the jam at the end of Dancefloors.  Now that I am completely familiar it is obvious they're not a jam band at all.  But, i can see how a newcomer might get that impression.

LEATHER KID

First off I like SOME jam bands but as far as genre goes Jacket should not be mentioned in the same breath as Widespread, String Cheese, Phish, Disco Biscuits etc.

JACKET=ROCK AND ROLL
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

mjkoehler

JACKET=ROCK AND ROLL
Yep..and yes it does bother me that people brush them into that category and do nto get interested in listening to them because of that.

TEO

I like jam bands.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

cmccubbin@work

very much!!!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

BH

If all you ever heard was MMJ studio albums and you went to a show, you might get the impression that they are a bit of a jam band until you see (or listen to several shows) and realize that, yes they do longer extended versions of their songs live, but they are well rehearsed and extremely tight.  Yes, Jim occasional has been known to "go off" a bit every now and again, but he does not noodle on endlessly with no direction in mind.

This is what sucks about these damn labels.  MMJ jams but they are not "jam" music.  MMJ couldn't get any more emotional but they are not "emo" music.   MMJ doesn't sound like anything else but they are not "alternative."  And they started out, like most bands, on an independent label but they are not "indie" music.

IT'S ROCK AND FUCKING ROLL PEOPLE!!!   Call it whatever you want.  I'll just call it creative, artistic and the kind of music that makes me want to hug strangers.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

JacketGal

I don't care. Bands are always going to be categorized, labeled and the like. The older you get the less this bothers you - cause it always happens!  :-/

They jam a few tunes, they rock a few tunes. But we know they are the truth in music.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

bowl of soup

Everyone knows that they're "alternative country".  Get with the program people.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Drunkre

I just read a review that labeled Bonnie Prince Billy as "alternative country."  I've listened to him for about 3 years, and that was a music form I'd never really considered, but I guess it works...kind of.  On the same note, I just heard on NPR (a few days ago) that the magazine No Depression is going out of business (or at least going to strictly online format).
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

ycartrob

QuoteEveryone knows that they're "alternative country".  Get with the program people.

alt-country-funk-ska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnubQY4xpKI

pawpaw

I think that MMJ has been thrown into the Jam Band lump because they: play danceable rock and roll, play "hippy" festivals, extend out the length of some of their songs when played live for maximum impact. Consumers need labels, so I can understand why and how they got the Jam Band label, but I think that "rock and roll band" suits them just fine.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

cantrell-r

I think we should create a category called 'epic rock.'  That fits them pretty well.

Angry Ewok

They haven't even been on a tour in... like... 8 years. That alone disqualifies them as a jam band.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

easy jim

So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

brentnc

i don't know that ive ever seen them brushed off as a jamband....maybe as a 70's throwback but never really a jamband. MMJ are pretty renowned and acclaimed by the "tastemaking" rock press. just saying.