Springtime in Kentucky

Started by johnconaway, Apr 20, 2005, 06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Not to wax more on the virtues of living here, but damn, I gotta brag on the weather/mood right now.  

As the Derby festival gets closer (kicking off this saturday with the fireworks), the weather seems to be glorious.  Cool, sunny days with low humidity.  Very few clouds, just right amount of breeze to keep it in the 70's.

nights are cool and damp, never going below 50.  perfect "open up yer winders" and sleep naked weather.

the festival makes everyone happy (mostly).  there's booze, food, activites, everyone gets all into it, like it's a Kentucky Fried Mardi Gras.  i love it.

anyhoo, thought i'd rub it in to the folks out there whose weather is probably shitty right now.  sorry mates, it's gorgeous here and it's like someone lit my soul candle with it.  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

Mmmmm nice.  We're feeling it, too.  The streets are busy at nights again, and everybody's kind of shaking off the winter.  There's more to do and there's a sense of excitement everywhere.  Buds are out.

Now, today is actually kind of dark because I think it's meant to rain.  But that's okay.  It'll git those flowers moving, and there is NOTHING nicer than that time just before summer when our magnolia trees bloom, and all of the growth is new.

:)

kymoose

This is definitely one of the greatest times of year to be in the bluegrass.  The festival is truly magical--tourists come in from all over, the bars don't close (or stay open til 6am), and the weather is amazing.  Everyone is outside and most folks are intoxicated.  

EC

So tell me about the Derby.  Do people go to it?  Is it one of those things that's really expensive?  Is it more about the fun surrounding it than the actual thing?  Is this what they call the "Run for the Roses"?  (When I was 8 my Dad got an Oldsmobile that came with a mixed tape, and it had Run for the Roses on it.  Now I can't think of who sings it, although I want to say John Denver.)

Last night we were telling a friend about our trip, and he got really excited about where we were going, especially Kentucky - he said that's some of the prettiest area down around there.  Mmmmmountains.  :)

But yeah, Derby (can you gamble on it?)

CC

ahhhh, that sounds so good!
it just won't stop raining here!!!!!

The Derby is a really expensive endeavor, unless you go to the "infield" that's basically a free-for-all party.  (kinda fun tho)

Yup, people love it here like just about nothing else.  Mint juleps are everywhere.  Most people are drunk.  It is a blast...I think the hype around it is what people enjoy.

The "run for the roses" is the name of the race itself as the winner gets a very large bouquet of roses on the horse.  

kymoose

It's definitely a rowdy time.  The actual Derby itself is a big event, with upwards of 180,000 people there every year.  Nearly everyone at the Derby is from out of town, as most locals go to the Oaks on the Friday before Derby.

I think you're right EC, it may be more about the spectacle surrounding the event.  It is basically an excuse to get out in the Spring weather and drink too much.  There are well over 200 events in the weeks leading up to the Derby on the first Saturday in May.

Anyway, if anyone wants to come in, let's party.    

kymoose

Is Run for the Roses by Dan Fogelberg?

Builtolast

I'm pretty sure that "Run for the Roses" is a Garcia/Hunter tune...unless someone else also recorded.  I know Garcia used to play it solo and with the JGB a lot.

it is indeed a garcia/hunter tune, but either dan the man covers it or has his own version...it's included on the greatest hits comp "love songs" with the everlovin' "leader of the band" and "longer" and whatnot...

EC

I'm pretty sure that the one from the Oldsmobile compilation tape was Dan Fogelberg.  That makes sense.  

Other hits included:
Smokey Mountain Rain by Ronnie Milsap
September Morn by (that's Neil Diamond, right?)
Lay Lady Lay by the Bob
"Theme Song to The Lone Ranger" (which is actually what it was called on this thing.)
Run for the Roses

Can't remember any others, but man when they get played, I do remember.  I wonder why that little tape sticks in my head so much...

Ahhh, yes, Kentucky.  Where ARE the Smokey mountains, anyhow...

antoniostrohs

I'm pretty sure they are two different songs with the same title.The Dan Fogelberg song is a pretty sappy song that most people here in Kentucky usually get tired of hearing year after year.The Garcia song is definitely the better of the two.In my opinion of of course.

EC

Here's what I remember from the version that I speak:

"And it's a run foooooor the roses, as fast as you can.
Your paaaaaaaain is delivered, your (blah blah blah blah).
It's the chaaaaaaaance of a lifetime, in a lifetime of chance.
And it's high time you joined in the dance.
Yes it's high time you joined in the da-a-ance."

Fairly dorky.  But I imagine a decent enough song to slowdance to.  Especially if you're an equestrian.

kymoose

That's definitely the Fogelberg version......

The Smokies are along the eastern (southeastern border) of Tennessee (good ol' Rocky Top).  But eastern Kentucky is part of the same mountain chain: the "Appa-lay-chains" if you are from the northeast U.S. and the "Appa-latch-ins" if you're from the southeast U.S.--including KY, TN, NC, GA, etc.

Yo.  

EC

I so completely dig and appreciate the fact that you just phonetically spelled the various ways that people say Appalachian.  AND gave the geographical location of such variances.  You are a prince indeed.  :)

marktwain

There are definitely 2 different songs called 'Run for the Roses' - the JGB song goes "run, run, run for the roses/ sooner it opens, sooner it closes/ man oh man oh friend of mine/ all good things in all good time" and is much better the fogelberg song :)

kymoose

Hey, no problem EC--just let me know if you need any other enunciations.

EC

QuoteHey, no problem EC--just let me know if you need any other enunciations.
Thanks, moose!  :)

You know, I have had "Nashville to Kentucky" in my head for days.  Except it now goes "It's springtime, iiiiin Kentucky."

kymoose