V's that fly

Started by EC, Jul 23, 2005, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

So tonight I'm hanging with my little brother, and we're having a few little bieres on their deck.

And his roommate comes home, and he's all excited because he got a new guitar and he wants me to try it.

And it's a flying V.  

So we git 'er going (they have a full display of any kind of instrument you could want to play there).  And we're playing and playing and...

...oh fuck.  I broke the g string.  What an asshole.    :-/

But damn.  What a lovely guitar.

(It's one thing to break your own string, but you sure do feel like a shithead when you break someone else's.)

tomEisenbraun

meh, broken strings are no sweat. If he just bought it, then the guitar had probably been sitting in a shop for a while and needed new strings. Don't feel so bad.

However, Flying V's are very cool. I wouldn't mind owning one, besides the sheer non-conventiality of them. You HAVE to play them standing up, pretty much. Either that or assume the classical position while sitting down. But they have so much cool vibe to them. Not to mention that Jim's is frickin sweet.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

tomEisenbraun

EC

Quotei just PM'ed you
I just pm'd you back.  :)

Yeah, I must say, I felt highly cool.  Even though I guess you're not supposed to feel cool by a guitar.  But it helped bring my inner coolness to the surface.  Or, at least it did in my head.  And it sounded sooooooo rock.

I was playing a different electric guitar today.  One with a whammy bar.  I think I need to get an electric guitar.  I think I definitely need to do that.

EC

(should I be expecting something in my email?)

tomEisenbraun

I just pm'd you back. Ê:)

Yeah, I must say, I felt highly cool. ÊEven though I guess you're not supposed to feel cool by a guitar. ÊBut it helped bring my inner coolness to the surface. ÊOr, at least it did in my head. ÊAnd it sounded sooooooo rock.

I was playing a different electric guitar today. ÊOne with a whammy bar. ÊI think I need to get an electric guitar. ÊI think I definitely need to do that.

I would highly suggest you get a used Tele. One from a few years back, os that it has some wear and its already broken in, but that it still feels darn good. That and a Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues. That kind of combo sounds killer. I'm totally jones'n for a Tele right now, and I think the sound would probably fit you well. Either that or somethin with humbuckers.

Dang, you need me to explain any of that? I'm kind of a gear whore.

No, don't expect an email yet.

EC

Yeah, that's what the dude said last night.  A telecaster.  

Heh.  Can't do that riiiight now, but I will look into it.  I'll get my guitar store guys on the search.  I love my guitar store guys.  They're so nice.  And they like my guitar.  So I don't worry when I have to take it in.

Anyhow, okay, looks like I have some work to do.  Gimme 15 or so minues, hoookay?

tomEisenbraun

Sorry if this is an asshole question, cuz it involves money, but how much would you plan to spend on a guitar? I'd like to help you find something, if you don't mind. I used to be on a musicians forum and did this all the time. If you've got a soun your lookin for, maybe i could help with that. I know we all have a certain soun in our head when we decide to go for a new guitar, hopefully i could help you pinpoint it.

EC

That's not an asshole question, Eisey, and it's very kind of you to offer your services.

Right now, I can't buy a new guitar.  Everything's going into a small little hall in Saskatchewan.  :)

And I don't even know how much something like that would cost.  I know that Ryan got his Flying V for like $150 (which I believe is ccccrazy).  Anyhow, lemme get off here and send you an email.  :)

I sent that thing, by the way...

kymoose

EC, make sure you get a made in the USA telecaster--they will hold there value.  I've got a blonde one.

EC

:) Nice!

(hey kymoose!!)

peanut butter puddin surprise

Husker Du.  Quiet Riot.  Ozzy Osbourne's Randy Rhodes....Miles Davis?  Anyone hear that story about Miles and his Flying V?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sweatboard

Lynard Skynard played some sweet flying V's.  What is the story about miles davis?
There's Still Time.........

peanut butter puddin surprise

apparently he was fascinated with the "whiteness" of the flying V, and went out to get one on purpose just to demystify the idea that only white guys play V's.

this was in the early 70's, so I'm trying to imagine who even had one back then...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

tomEisenbraun

Hendrix played one for a little while too. Also had an SG in his closet.