bands more influential than the beatles

Started by ratsprayer, Sep 14, 2005, 10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratsprayer

QuoteI'll repeat ratsprayer and say:

Kraftwerk

Without Kraftwerk, there's none of that techno/dance/hip hop/electronica/etc.../yadda yadda yadda/goom blutz blatz music.

These guys were sampling in the 70's and their music sounds more innovative and fresh than anything that has come out since.

BUY>> Minimum-Maximum (their new live release)
    or  Trans-Euope Express.

thank you thank you.  as far as pre 80s influence, id say kraftwerk and entire krautrock scene (can, faust, etc) are just as important as the velvet underground, beach boys, dylan, beach boys, all those other ones we could argue about.  virtually all indie bands can be traced back to can.  its some of the best music put to tape, check it out.  

for can, id recommend the trilogy of EGE BAMYASI, FUTURE DAYS, and TAGO MAGO.

TRANS-EUROPE EXPRESS is the consensus masterpiece for kraftwerk, but you cant go wrong with really anything theyve ever done.

cmasters

ironchefbenjata

I'm sure its been said before but Jimi Hendrix...oh and Nick Drake? Leonard Cohen?

ratsprayer

QuoteI'm sure its been said before but Jimi Hendrix...oh and Nick Drake? Leonard Cohen?

check and check, i got those.  nick drake has pretty much been  responsible for everything folk post dylan, donovan, ochs, etc.  leonard cohen is directly responsible for nick cave and probably even mark kozelek, anything slowcore.  cohen even did some stuff with dylan, so once again its all tied in.

dragonboy

I loved prodigy.  I remember when I bought 'fat of the land' and i thought it was the greatest thing ever.  But then I faded out of the techno scene...but the album still holds a special place in my heart.

It was No Good (Start the Dance) from Jilted Generation that first got me interested. At that time I was a complete heavy-metal/grunge kid & disliked Dance music with a passion but something about that song really spoke to me.
I remember Fat of the Land coming out too - that was & still is a killer! The new one's shit, right?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ironchefbenjata

<i>check and check, i got those.  nick drake has pretty much been  responsible for everything folk post dylan, donovan, ochs, etc. </i>

I first heard about Nick Drake in an interview with Morrisey. I think if you're mopey and English, Nick Drake was a definate influence.