wedding presents

Started by ali, Oct 09, 2006, 07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali

two of my best friends are getting married in 3 weeks, and i'm one of the bridesmaids, and i want to get them a really nice wedding present... they more or less have most things as they've been living together for a couple of years. anyone have any interesting ideas for a wedding present? they're both architects, so i'm thinking something a little "designer" and different... help!
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ali

Dee.

Some kind of nice bookshelf?

Or a computer chair?

ali

;D thanks deanna!!

another thought i had yesterday - they're going to New York and Tokyo for their honeymoon... there could be something ultra-cool in either of those places i could buy them a ticket for...? i love buying presents for people, but this is DIFFICULT!

:-/

tomEisenbraun

If Blue Man Group is playing in New York, you should get them tickets for that. That is the frickin coolest thing ever.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Dee.

Oh there's gotta be something like that you could get for them.  It would just depend on their interests and the timing of the honeymoon.

http://www.nycvisit.com/home/index.cfm
Maybe you could get some ideas from the calendar of events & things to do list.

tomEisenbraun

BH

I always thought it would be cool to give someone a 10 year savings bond that they had to use to help pay for a return trip to wherever they go on their honeymoon.  After 10 years you kind of get caught up in the hectic parts of life and forget to spend time with each other so it would be a perfect spark for the marriage.  Plus it shows you think they will last a long time!

(Wow that was pretty girly of me.) ::)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Mr. T.

A Jukebox

One where you can put on your own choice of music...

I'd love to have that!!
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

Jaimoe

Unless you can read minds, stick to the wedding registry. Trust me, I just got married and we have little to no use for the presents that weren't from the registry - plus the registry keeps a total of what's needed. We have double of a number of gifts.

Money is the best present.  

megisnotreal

A fry daddy?

Nothing says "we have a happy home" like the ability to deep-fry.

tomEisenbraun

A happy home is not a happy home without the ability to make your own funnel cakes and fish filets.

ali

thanks for the ideas guys - the jukebox would actually go down pretty well, as they're both music nuts. as far as the registry goes, they don't actually have one. they've asked for money instead of gifts, but as they're among my best friends, and i'm one of the bridesmaids, i thought i'd give them an actual present as well.... my family lives in another state, so these guys are really like family to me.

...kinda like you guys are my (sllightly more widespread) mmj family!!  ;D

colleen

ali,
I often try to give original art as gifts. I guess it helps that I make art and know many others who do too. But, many galleries keep flat files of prints and drawings that are more affordable/smaller than large paintings or sculpture. Another thought would be a wine of the month club. There are clubs like this for chocolate, coffee, etc. too. Or cooking classes at a culinary school or high-end restaurant that offers them.
Good luck!
colleen
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

SMc55

QuoteI always thought it would be cool to give someone a 10 year savings bond that they had to use to help pay for a return trip to wherever they go on their honeymoon.  After 10 years you kind of get caught up in the hectic parts of life and forget to spend time with each other so it would be a perfect spark for the marriage.  Plus it shows you think they will last a long time!

(Wow that was pretty girly of me.) ::)
Wat a cool idea, bh, and so perceptive  ;D

colleen

Oh, or personalized stationery can be a nice gift as letter-writing seems to be making a comeback. Old fashioned letterpress printed paper can be very spiffy.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

SiOuxTribe

sex toys and lingerie
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis