the cities we live in

Started by ali, May 24, 2007, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree

I live in Oberursel am Taunus (15km from Frankfurt)
Population:  47.761
(didn´t take this pics)

Frankfurt:
population: 400k-500k

MarkW

I currently live in a small town 30 miles north of London called Berkhamsted.  Population is about 20,000 or so.  We have the oldest shop building in Britain (dated to between 1277 and 1297) which is currently being used as an Estate Agent (realtor).  Given the ridiculous house prices here, that about sums up the town's approach to property!

Our house backs on to the Grand Union Canal:

Picture from January out of our bedroom window

and from last week (from, ahem, the pub):

We've got an old castle (rebuilt in 1080, abandoned in 1495):

and a really nice, restored Art Deco cinema:

A pretty normal, if slightly older than average, Home Counties London commuter town.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

SMc55

QuoteHOLY CRAP those are so great pics guys!  Now I feel like traveling!!!

We all live in some cool ass places!
We certainly do, Beth. What a great idea for a thread. Well done Ali!
I live in a small town in the north if England called Barnard Castle.
This is the old castle

and this is the 'new' castle, where Lord Barnard lives now

This is the town

and some of the countryside around it

These are our postmen who went to serve in the first world war. The ones with borders were killed. I feel moved whenever I see it.

SMc55

QuoteI currently live in a small town 30 miles north of London called Berkhamsted.  
Hey Mark, I used to deliver Berkhamsted babies when I worked in Hemel Hempstead. It's a small world!
Cool cinema, by the way.

MarkW

QuoteI currently live in a small town 30 miles north of London called Berkhamsted.  
Hey Mark, I used to deliver Berkhamsted babies when I worked in Hemel Hempstead. It's a small world!
Cool cinema, by the way.

I currently work in Hemel Hempstead, weird!  Barnard Castle looks very nice, I might give it a look when I'm up that way in the next few weeks.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

SMc55

Cool cinema, by the way.

I currently work in Hemel Hempstead, weird!  Barnard Castle looks very nice, I might give it a look when I'm up that way in the next few weeks.
It is nice, but I miss not being able to nip into London.

I want to visit all these places.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI currently live in a small town 30 miles north of London called Berkhamsted.  Population is about 20,000 or so.  We have the oldest shop building in Britain (dated to between 1277 and 1297) which is currently being used as an Estate Agent (realtor).  Given the ridiculous house prices here, that about sums up the town's approach to property!

Our house backs on to the Grand Union Canal:

Picture from January out of our bedroom window

and from last week (from, ahem, the pub):

We've got an old castle (rebuilt in 1080, abandoned in 1495):

and a really nice, restored Art Deco cinema:

A pretty normal, if slightly older than average, Home Counties London commuter town.

These are so awesome looking.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Chills

QuoteHOLY CRAP those are so great pics guys!  

We all live in some cool ass places!

That is really true. Great thread  :)

ManNamedTruth

North Huntingdon Township, PA. 45 minute drive (depending on traffic) from Pittsburgh.

a map from 1904:

Here's some pics of Pittsburgh, its beautiful at night:

The cathedral Of Learning in Pittsburgh, tallest educational building in the western hemisphere:
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

mjkoehler

Otay, all these great pics make me realize I live in a little hick town just outside of a dumpy rusted out industrial town that is trying to comback. (St Louis)

I really need to see the world. And yes backbacking/rail through Europe if one of my life goals. Going to Japan is one of my goals. And because I'm a history nut, doing a tour of Eygpt is one of my goals. Where's my lottery ticket.....

SMc55

QuoteOtay, all these great pics make me realize I live in a little hick town just outside of a dumpy rusted out industrial town that is trying to comback. (St Louis)

I really need to see the world. And yes backbacking/rail through Europe if one of my life goals. Going to Japan is one of my goals. And because I'm a history nut, doing a tour of Eygpt is one of my goals. Where's my lottery ticket.....
I have an ambition to visit America. One day I will. Little hick towns are just what I want to see. Waterloo, Illinois is definately on my list  :)

primushead

Here's Boone!

I live WAYYYYY down there.

And here's downtown...

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteOtay, all these great pics make me realize I live in a little hick town just outside of a dumpy rusted out industrial town that is trying to comback. (St Louis)

I have an ambition to visit America. One day I will. Little hick towns are just what I want to see. Waterloo, Illinois is definately on my list  :)

Come to Wilkes-Barre!

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteHere's Boone!

And here's downtown...

This wouldn't be out of place in my area.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteNorth Huntingdon Township, PA. 45 minute drive (depending on traffic) from Pittsburgh.

a map from 1904:

The cathedral Of Learning in Pittsburgh, tallest educational building in the western hemisphere:

Pittsburgh gets shit on a lot, but it really is a beautiful city.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteNorth Huntingdon Township, PA. 45 minute drive (depending on traffic) from Pittsburgh.

a map from 1904:

Pittsburgh gets shit on a lot, but it really is a beautiful city.
People seem to think its still a dirty steel town, which it was at one point.
I just live in the suburbs, I can't find any pics to show of my actual town and my camera is broke.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteHere's Boone!

And here's downtown...

This wouldn't be out of place in my area.
yeah, same here. Maybe not quite as hilly but close.

ycartrob

Nashville (ya'll)

The Ryman

Rotiers

Music Row

Lower Broadway

dragonboy

Is that a bear Tracy? Excuse my ignorance but what's it's significance?
Reason I ask is there's one very similar on the Loudon Wainwright CD I just bought:

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Elizanne33

I live in the bay area in Livermore, CA. It used to be a small hick town (my highschool mascot was a cowboy) but it has grown quite a bit over the last decade. We are up to around 85,000 people now. There is still a lot of open space but it is getting quickly devoured by new homes and shopping centers. Livermore is known for it's quaint downtown, annual rodeo, wineries, altamont pass wind farm, two nuclear weapons labs, and as mentioned in another thread the longest burning lightbulb. Here are some pics from the web...

Livermore is about 45 minutes from San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland. Not too far from Santa Cruz Beach, Napa Valley, and the state capital of Sacramento. 3 hours from Yosemite National Park, and 6 hours from Disneyland.

one of my favorite landmarks is the totem pole

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, I live down the street from this...way down the street!