a christmas story

Started by EC, Dec 21, 2007, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

i'm pretty tired today.  haven't had a lot of opportunity to sleep over the past three weeks.  BUT, about ten minutes ago i had a great idea, which is to rent my FAVOURITE christmas movie and eat some sushi and probably (i mean let's face it, it's me) some ice cream, and enjoy:

LEG LAMPS
WOWEEEE A ZEPPLIN
HEY KID
DADDY'S GONNA KILL RALPHIE
FRA-GI-LAY - MUST BE ITALIAN
YOU'LL SHOOT YER EYE OUT
I LIKE THE WIZARD OF OZ
EXCEPT I DIDN'T SAY FUDGE
PINK BUNNY SUITS
A CRUMMY COMMERCIAL?

you know what i'm talkin' about.  let us discuss the merits of this AMAZING piece of art :)

EC

check this shit out:
http://www.woodstocktheatre.com/archives/christmas_story_05.htm

let's just take note that a LOT of cool shit happens in woodstock

Jon T.

I hate to sound like a scrooge but I never have cared for that movie.   My wife loves it though so I took her to see the stage version put on in town.  I enjoyed it more seeing the kids on stage but still not looking forward to seeing on the tube.  :-[

corey

We bought A Christmas Story wrapping paper at Wal-mart this year. I'm actually taking a break from wrapping presents with it at this very moment.

fitzcarraldo

QuoteA CRUMMY COMMERCIAL?

"Be sure to drink your ovaltine"  :-/

;D

Deck the Halls with Boughs of Horry ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra
Ho Ho Ho...Merry Christmas!

interesting story on how the idea came up:

http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/trivia.shtml

Jaimoe

From now on, I'll always watch this classic with sadness. Director Bob Clark and son died this year in a terrible car accident in California. American Clark is a Canadian film icon with the following movies that were filmed/produced and/or situated in Canada with largely Canadian casts: A Christmas Story, Porky's (still the top grossing Cdn film of all time... I know?!!), Black Christmas (the original), Murder by Decree (and excellent Jack The Ripper film starring Christopher Plummer, Donald Sutherland and James Mason). Bob was no Hitchcock or Capra, but he did produce some good low budget yet successful films.  

MMJ_fanatic

The home set of that movie always makes me nostaglic (reminds me of my paternal grandparents' house).  I especially love hearing the train whistle in the background.  Something about train whistles in the distance always fills me with wistfulness and a non-descript hunger.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Jaimoe

QuoteThe home set of that movie always makes me nostaglic (reminds me of my paternal grandparents' house).  I especially love hearing the train whistle in the background.  Something about train whistles in the distance always fills me with wistfulness and a non-descript hunger.

The downtown scenes were shot in Cleveland (subbing for Indiana). The school scenes were shot in St. Catherines Ontario and some other scenes were shot in Toronto. I'm glad Bob filmed everything in winter. It really adds to the authenticity, bleakness and charms of winter.

EC

QuoteWe bought A Christmas Story wrapping paper at Wal-mart this year. I'm actually taking a break from wrapping presents with it at this very moment.
GET
OUT
OF
TOWN!!

i didn't know that, jaimoe.  that's quite sad news.

Jaimoe

No matter what, I'll never go to Wal-mart, even if it has a cure for cancer within its evil walls.

Jon T.

Right on man.  Stay strong.  Fight the power.

aMD

QuoteNo matter what, I'll never go to Wal-mart, even if it has a cure for cancer within its evil walls.

I have the same policy but I broke it two weeks ago because it was just SO damn convenient!

I love this movie!  I watched it last week.  I still haven't watched national lampoon's xmas vacation this season.  those are the two best xmas movies of all time.

Number three: Santa Clause: the Movie.  Anybody with me?  Not The Santa Clause, the movie from the eighties with Dudley Moore and Charles Durning as Santa.

red

It's my favourite Christmas movie, although Scrooged does give it a damn good run for it's money.  

aMD

QuoteIt's my favourite Christmas movie, although Scrooged does give it a damn good run for it's money.  

I forgot about scrooged!  I'll have to try and fit that one in too.  I usually always watch that one.

Jaimoe

QuoteNo matter what, I'll never go to Wal-mart, even if it has a cure for cancer within its evil walls.

I have the same policy but I broke it two weeks ago because it was just SO damn convenient!

I love this movie!  I watched it last week.  I still haven't watched national lampoon's xmas vacation this season.  those are the two best xmas movies of all time.

Number three: Santa Clause: the Movie.  Anybody with me?  Not The Santa Clause, the movie from the eighties with Dudley Moore and Charles Durning as Santa.

I'm with you on just one.

1. Scrooge (1951 with Alastair Sim)
2. It's A Wonderful Life
3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
4. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
5. A Christmas Carol (1938)
6. The Nightmare Before Christmas
7. Blackadder's Christmas (hilarious BBC TV series starring Rowan Atkinson)
8. A Christmas Story
9. Elf (and I don't even like Wil Farrell)
10. Scrooged

TV flicks:

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (original cartoon by Dr. Seuss and Chuck Jones with Boris Karloff)

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Not on list: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (because I think it's racist); and Frosty, because even the great Jimmy Durante can't save this cartoon from being terribly dated.

bearass

Jaimoe

Quotec'mon no bad santa!?

Haven't seen it yet. I want to.

TGMC421

Quotec'mon no bad santa!?

Ha!  Definitely one of the best!