Girlfriend / boyfriend or married?

Started by lfish, Jan 09, 2004, 03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfish

Hey,

As many of you guys have a girlfriend/boyfriend or are already married, I ask myself the question, how are they feeling about the jacket. Are they prepared to follow you to every mmj gig in your country or is their love not so big? Within a month my girfriend and I are four years together and the love is still growing but I know her love for the jacket isn't as big as my love. (now, that will not end our relationship  ;))In fact yesterday she told me that she found that jim's voice is a little bit annoying, because she heard the jacket to much (namely in my car all the time)(now that is more serious evidence that threatens our relationship  ;D).  And she couldn't enjoy the Brussels concert of the jacket where  they played a lot of instrumentals due to jim's voiceproblems.  While I found that they rocked like hell.  Now we talked about it and for her, the voice is the most important thing when listening to a group, while my opinion differs from hers.  I like to listen to every sound a group produces, even the background noises are important to me.  So if the jacket plays instrumentals I still find it beautifull and even better than, for instance, coldplay with voice. So musical taste differs, that's a fact and I respect that, but how do you guys deal with it? Is this familiar to you?    Spread it out!

lfish

Oz

My girlfriend likes them a lot, wich was quite a relief, but she hasn't been to a gig yet. By the way, we both also think that vocals are very important, so I can understand where your girlfriend is coming from, Ifish. I must say I would also find an instrumental MMJ gig a little disappointing, to be honest. My girlfriend does have a knack for really awful '80's music and I always curse on that music when she mentions it, but that's not a serious thread.  :) She has a pretty weird musical taste, but so far she liked everything I played to her, even the most heavy stuff like Jandek and the first two albums of John Frusciante, so all's okay for me.  :)
I'm ready when you are

Zmog1974

Hey dont worry Ifish..i proposed to my girlfriend at the Jacket gig in New York, last september. Two nights i stood there waiting for the guys to play "be there when i die" As this was my girlfriends favourite song.
They eventually did on the Sunday and i popped the question.
I guess im pretty lucky as my fiance likes the band alot..we even spend our holidays going to MMJ gigs.

I phoned her up at work last Tuesday 6th and told her we were going to the U.S to see MMJ in Alabama & Atlanta and she was fine about it...she's even paying for herself.
 We are both on average wages, so its not like we can really afford it and its not cheap flying over from the U.K..but its something we love doing and it beats laying around on the beach(although my fiancee would sometimes disagree to this).
.Im even taking her to Ireland on the 7th Feb to see the guys, as a valentines pressie. Am i lucky or what?
 I've been out with some right wrong'uns in my life, who have slagged of my music taste and my love for music in general. They did'nt last long and in the end, were shown the door.
 Im not saying you should show her the door but just remember to be yourself and do and listen to the things you love...it all comes good in the end...Good luck.

lfish

I sure am and sure will.  This difference will never break our relationship, we love eachother to much to do this.  It's wonderful that your wife wants to make the trip to america to see the jacket.  You sure have made the right choice smog1974 :)!!!
Let luv rule!
lfish

bob dole

my girlfriend has liked what she's heard of the jacket..thank god she likes my favorite, TSP, cos thats on all the time!  8)

bishopsfinger

You guys are so lucky. My girlfriend listens to HIM, Placebo and suchlike
woke up in vomit and beer in a banana bin

lfish

lfish

bigger_rooty

My ladyfriend stood right next to me in Birmingham and we only listen to MMJ when going to sleep.  She rules.
from this town, we'd escape
if we holler loud and make our way
we'd all live one big holiday.

Oz

Ooh, I know what you're talking about bigger_rooty... They sure make romantic music!  ;)

Oh, and Bishopsfinger... HIM? Damn, I'm really sorry for you...  :(
I'm ready when you are

Vadie Stark

[highlight][/highlight]
Maui'd :)and we love the jacket
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Jaimoe

I've been married for almost three years and my wife is starting to bail on MMJ since Z and in particular EU. I can't argue with the latter, but she certainly likes the newer material better live than on album. I don't know if she will see them in concert again though. I believe she's terribly frustrated with MMJ's direction. I'm still hopeful.

Vadie Stark

QuoteI've been married for almost three years and my wife is starting to bail on MMJ since Z and in particular EU. I can't argue with the latter, but she certainly likes the newer material better live than on album. I don't know if she will see them in concert again though. I believe she's terribly frustrated with MMJ's direction. I'm still hopeful.

:'([highlight][/highlight]
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

el_chode

Took her to see them in 2006 and she's been hooked ever since

First dance at the wedding in '10 will be Low Down
I'm surrounded by assholes

AMightyCaporal

engaged and I'm making progress- she came with me on NYE and i think that maybe her love for them will never be like mine for them- she does enjoy the music and has a new love for Highly suspicious. Sweetness
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Ghosts_on_TV

My girlfriend posts on here, it doesn't really get any better than that...
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

mjkoehler

QuoteMy girlfriend posts on here, it doesn't really get any better than that...
No it doesn't

My wife for the most part hates all my musical selections. Thankfully she did like Rocket Man so I'm gonna run with that.

megalicious

No it doesn't

yes it does  ;D
bradley (my fiance) and i wouldn't have met if it weren't for our mutual love for mmj!
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

mjkoehler

No it doesn't

yes it does  ;D
bradley (my fiance) and i wouldn't have met if it weren't for our mutual love for mmj!
I was actually affirming what he was saying. I think it's great (and I jealous that both you guys have that common ground with your sig other).

tomEisenbraun

Well seeing as I now have someone to post about in here (yesss!!!), I will have you know that I am working my magic on her. Also know that the WFPK X-Mas show brought her some serious Christmas-y joy this December (her appreciation of the slightly static-y FM quality only solidifies my knowledge that she knows what's up in the world of music. oh yes.).

I don't even think there's an "ahhhh, she'll come around" involved here so much as a "man! I have so much more to show her!"

And. so. I. shall.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

pawpaw

Hey, congrats Tom! I'm assuming this is your musician lady-friend? That's wonderful!

Well, I introduced my wife to the Jacket through their albums that I'd bring with us on road trips when we were dating. The first show that I took her to was the OKONOKOS show at the Fillmore, and she's definitely been a big fan since then. Including their Bridge School Benefit appearance, we've been to 4 shows together. If I had to guess, I'd say that It Still Moves is her favorite album of theirs, though the new EP gets a lot of playtime lately when she's DJ at home. She loves Jim, but I think Patrick is her favorite...she calls him Animal!!!  ;D

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."