The Official March Madness Thread

Started by primushead, Mar 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteI would think that everyone might have my sooners bowing out early.  No problem with that, they haven't convinced me they are going anywhere as of late.  However I would like to see them against Greggg's UNC boys.  Also don't like that we would have to beat Syracuse as well.  Should be an interesting tourney.   My sleeper will come from the Big 12 obviously, watch out for BH's Tigers ;)

I like the way you be thinkin'....

By the way, did anyone notice the Louisville won the 2009 Big East Tournament in the very same building that was brought into 2009 by a certain band we all know and love from Louisville.   Coincidence?  I don't think so.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Midwest
I think L'ville has a safe draw until they face MSU if the Spartans make it that far.  MSU can stay in any game for their D and rebounding but I think their offensive weaknesses can be exposed by certain team.  Anyone know how effective zones were against them this year.  I know the Illini always stuck m2m on them, most likely didn't even change it up in order to prevent MSU from pounding the offensive glass.

Zona and Dayton seem to be the popular 1st round upset picks.  I don't think 'Zone can just turn it on against a good Utah team.  Haven't seen Dayton so I have no idea.

West
Maybe a little too much love for the SEC but I'll take Miss. St. straight up against Washington.  I like Mizzou to get by Memphis.  I like UConn's draw.

East
Pitt will make it to the Final Four.  Heard Digger and Hubert picking both VCU and Wisconsin.  I like Wisconsin as the best of the 12s to pull it off but maybe it's my Big 10 bias.

South
I never thought at the beginning of the season that I'd think that UNC might be the weakest 1 seed.  Yet I don't see them challenged until 'Cuse or Oklahoma.  I don't think the Sooners can do it but 'Cuse might have the balance.

After last season, I'm so much more scared to call upsets.  Oh well, I'll take a UNC/Ill rematch and watch us get smoked.  Not that we'll even beat the Zags with our atrocious offense.  Nothing like having a three guard offense where none of them can create off of the dribble and 2 bigs that weigh less than me and are softer than my nipples on a hot summer day.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

capt. scotty

whiteboy got hops...doesnt look all that impressive (and the video quality doesnt help either) until you see where he takes off from and how high above the rim he was as he dunked it. Saw this dunk and another from the 2006 dunk contest on ESPN yesterday and my jaw dropped. Guy has to have a 40+ inch vertical

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXXpW7D6jU[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXXpW7D6jU
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

EAZYE

I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

capt. scotty

Quoteweak!

lets remember he is 6'7'' and white  ::)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tower

QuoteMidwest
I think L'ville has a safe draw until they face MSU if the Spartans make it that far.  MSU can stay in any game for their D and rebounding but I think their offensive weaknesses can be exposed by certain team.  Anyone know how effective zones were against them this year.  I know the Illini always stuck m2m on them, most likely didn't even change it up in order to prevent MSU from pounding the offensive glass.

Zona and Dayton seem to be the popular 1st round upset picks.  I don't think 'Zone can just turn it on against a good Utah team.  Haven't seen Dayton so I have no idea.

West
Maybe a little too much love for the SEC but I'll take Miss. St. straight up against Washington.  I like Mizzou to get by Memphis.  I like UConn's draw.

East
Pitt will make it to the Final Four.  Heard Digger and Hubert picking both VCU and Wisconsin.  I like Wisconsin as the best of the 12s to pull it off but maybe it's my Big 10 bias.

South
I never thought at the beginning of the season that I'd think that UNC might be the weakest 1 seed.  Yet I don't see them challenged until 'Cuse or Oklahoma.  I don't think the Sooners can do it but 'Cuse might have the balance.

After last season, I'm so much more scared to call upsets.  Oh well, I'll take a UNC/Ill rematch and watch us get smoked.  Not that we'll even beat the Zags with our atrocious offense.  Nothing like having a three guard offense where none of them can create off of the dribble and 2 bigs that weigh less than me and are softer than my nipples on a hot summer day.

I'd love to see an Izzo/Pitino matchup, that would be really, really fun and interesting...such a constrast!  To answer your question, MSU has been inconsistent against a zone but they have been inconsistent overall so I'm not sure that's really important.  Ohio State put us out of the Big Ten tournament playing a zone but we got really good looks and just shot miserably. As you stated, MSU can beat anyone, but we can also lose to anyone because every 4-6 games we throw out a stinker.  Hopefully our stinker doesn't come in the first few rounds.

Wisconsin won't beat anyone good, they don't have any guns and the grind it out method that works in the Big Ten because of the reffing (fuck Ed Hightower) doesn't usually work in the NCAA.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

tower

QuoteI've got mine in.  Here's my Final Four:

UConn
UNC
Villanova (My Sleeper to upset Pitt)
Michigan State

Wouldnt it suit you best to keep these top secret until thursday?

Nova can definitely beat Pitt if Blair gets in foul trouble. I actually liked what highlighter man kept saying about them playing zone to protect him, but not sure how much weaker that would make their overall defense.

Judging by how many people have jumped on the Lousiville bandwagon, Id call Michigan State a sleeper pick too. Whats your reasoning?

I'd keep it secret if we were playing for cash, but since it's just for fun, I don't really care.

As far as my reasoning for MSU to be a sleeper, I just think back to Louisville at the beginning of the year.  They lost a few games they should've won (UNLV, Minnesota), got hot through their conference/conference tournament, and are a very good team.

HOWEVER, they only played Pitt and UConn once during conference play...both at home.  They aren't that reliable on the road, and thus, I don't think they'll have the fortitude to make the Final Four.  

Michigan State has been remarkable since UNC stomped them.  They have great outside play and are poised to make the elite eight upset of Louisville.

That's my vague reason for picking them.

I really hope you're right.  Not sure I agree with the "great outside play"...more like sometimes great. Up and down and up and down.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

primushead

Little over an hour til tip-off...I'm so glad I have the next two days off.

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDNEEESSSS!!!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATk7kC0r-Rs[/media]

TheBigChicken

my girlfriend is out of town, I have the next 2 days off, and I'm firing up the Weber....Steve Gaines in the background and a beer already opened...indeed MADDDNESSSSSS
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

I'm at work today, but I've got tomorrow off! CAN'T WAIT!!! I'm gunna teach the baby about the best way to spend a day watching tv - MARCH MADNESS!!!!!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

tower

QuoteI'm at work today, but I've got tomorrow off! CAN'T WAIT!!! I'm gunna teach the baby about the best way to spend a day watching tv - MARCH MADNESS!!!!!

I'm on baby daddy leave and my 2 month old girl will be watching with me as well.  I'd like to see a Memphis upset, that would make my day.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

Quotei have PITT taking it all.

double high-five smiley  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Ruckus

QuoteI'm at work today, but I've got tomorrow off! CAN'T WAIT!!! I'm gunna teach the baby about the best way to spend a day watching tv - MARCH MADNESS!!!!!

I'm on baby daddy leave and my 2 month old girl will be watching with me as well.  I'd like to see a Memphis upset, that would make my day.
OHHH IT'S ON!!!!

You might get your wish tower.  Looks like I'm gonna hit on A&M against BYU

Also got MD getting 1.5
Illini laying 5
American getting 17.5

Woot Woot [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Ruckus

Can I get some love for CS Northridge? [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

tower

So close to exposing Memphis for the sham that they are.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

Glad I picked UConn to make it out of that region  :)

primushead

QuoteSo close to exposing Memphis for the sham that they are.

Ugh...really hoping Calipari would get knocked out.  Oh well.  Heels and Huskies are taking care of business...no huge upsets as of yet.

capt. scotty

Northern Iowa coming back and making a game out of it.

Purdue should still end up with the W....I hope