JamBase Band of the Year

Started by LaurieBlue, Dec 23, 2008, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

Evening Rebel

Nice read LB! Thanks for sharing.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Highlights: Sorry....got carried away. But I thought it was such an amazing article.

"As we close the book on 2008 we need something we can believe in, we need to go deeper and My Morning Jacket is taking us there. And that's why they're our Band of the Year."

"but it's live, in the concert halls-come-sanctuaries that fans are transformed into disciples."

"I also feel like churches have become exclusive, and it's almost like if you're a sinner you're not welcome at church. Whereas I feel the best kinds of churches are the kind that welcome you with open arms and say, 'Hey, life is tough, life is really hard and we all fuck up, and that's why you need to come to church, because you know you're a sinner and you need to come back to your community and sing some songs and be forgiven and try again. You know, get up and dust yourself off and try again to be a good person, because everybody makes mistakes.' I feel like a lot of people are made to feel like you've almost got to fake it. You've almost got to pretend like you're this totally perfect, pure person that goes to this big church where everybody pretends like they're not sinners. It seems like it's turned into this twisted thing where it's almost excluding people and making people feel bad, as opposed to welcoming people in and letting them be healed, letting them try to find a good way. I guess that's why people always gravitate to music, especially if they feel like an outsider or they don't understand the society they're in. Music is limitless and there are no rules there, no feeling of not being accepted." - Jim James

"The My Morning Jacket of today was a decade in the making - five records, one live album/DVD, a bunch of singles and EPs and countless shows wrestled into ten years full of hard work, lineup changes, lost hopes, re-dedications, a little luck, a lot of talent and a fearless pursuit of their muse. Standing on the edge of superstardom, the Jacket worked damn hard to get here and there's no telling where they might go next."

"Rooted in good ol' American roots rock but plugged into the cosmos, they have become "THE band" for a lot of people - no longer just entertainment but an answer."

"There will always be naysayers who want the same record or song over-and-over, and there are plenty of bands that fall victim to this, often having their creative juices siphoned by record execs that are only searching for that next big hit. Lucky for us, MMJ never let loose an ounce of control and that's a big reason why they've been able to make such adventurous music."

" When the Jacket hit their stride brushes full of color fly across the mind's canvas"

"this year, to end 2008, they are set to play America's biggest stage, Madison Square Garden on New Year's Eve. It doesn't get any bigger and bands simply don't get any better, and that's why all of us at JamBase are proud to crown My Morning Jacket as our Band of the Year."
God damn those shaky knees.

the sun and moon

Quotehttp://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?storyID=16136

Love you guys.  Hope you all have a beautiful holiday.

xo
Laurie

I love you too. God, does Jim have to be so amazing all the time?

capt. scotty

Jawesome!!

Cant say im surprised though with all the pub theyve gotten for most of 2008...Its almost like their hype and publicity this year outshined the actual album  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mclain13

QuoteJawesome!!

Cant say im surprised though with all the pub theyve gotten for most of 2008...Its almost like their hype and publicity this year outshined the actual album  ;D
I see your point, but this is one band that deserves a bit of attention.  Everytime I put on anything they do it brings me back to days as a kid when I was discovering how powerful music was to me.  
In the end, it's us, the fans, who see this band for what it is...the most powerful band out there (period).
If more folks start to get it, bonus for them.

BTW - Obviously new to the board...I think I posted my MMJ story some time ago, but haven't been around here much.  It'll be nice to chat with other folks who get these guys.
...talk is often cheap and filled with air.

DaFunkyPrecedent

"no longer entertainment, but the answer!"

ms. yvon

laurieb, thanks for the link!

and happy new year!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

weeniebeenie

Awesome!! Thanks for the link. :)
How loud can silence get?

Haldon

Congrats to the band

seems that the accolades keep coming right now

i for one am thankful that there is a band out there like mmj and hope that they keep it going and keep developing and keep getting even better

ALady

There will always be naysayers who want the same record or song over-and-over, and there are plenty of bands that fall victim to this, often having their creative juices siphoned by record execs that are only searching for that next big hit. Lucky for us, MMJ never let loose an ounce of control and that's a big reason why they've been able to make such adventurous music.

and

Quote2008 was the year of the Jacket. It all started in March at the annual South by Southwest music conference/schmoozefest. The buzz in Austin was ridiculous. From the minute one stepped off the plane into the humid air all you heard was talk of Evil Urges (which wouldn't come out for another three months) and the availability of tickets to their Wednesday night show at the tiny Parish (which would prove a revelation for those of us fortunate enough to get through the door). The following months found the band garnering more praise than ever, selling out amphitheaters and sheds, playing major slots at festivals around the world, landing on the covers of mainstream magazines, getting serious airplay with their singles, their new album debuting at #9 on the Billboard charts, and even getting a Grammy nomination for Best Alternative Album. And if you need more tangible, hard evidence consider this: The last time MMJ played a NYE show they did three epic nights at San Francisco's 1100-person Fillmore Auditorium to celebrate 2006 passing into 2007. This year, to end 2008, they are set to play America's biggest stage, Madison Square Garden on New Year's Eve. It doesn't get any bigger and bands simply don't get any better, and that's why all of us at JamBase are proud to crown My Morning Jacket as our Band of the Year.

YESSSSS

Thanks for posting!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Grateful Chabo

thats badass, WELL DESERVED!!!!!!...thanks for the link!  HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

JPV

DaFunkyPrecedent

They got love from Rolling Stone (Rock), NPR (Smart People), Paste (American Roots), Spin (Pop), Jambase (Jammy) - now all we need is Pitchfork to show some hipster love and MMJ will have all bases covered!

Sparkle

Really great article, thanks for posting the link  :)

Can't wait to see what the guys have in store for us next year...

Merry Christmas everyone!

capt. scotty

QuoteThey got love from Rolling Stone (Rock), NPR (Smart People), Paste (American Roots), Spin (Pop), Jambase (Jammy) - now all we need is Pitchfork to show some hipster love and MMJ will have all bases covered!

I think its safe to say the world would be better without Pitchfork. I actually feel like them not giving MMJ any dap is like any good media source awarding them as deserved
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MarkW

QuoteHighlights:

"but it's live, in the concert halls-come-sanctuaries that fans are transformed into disciples."

Amen to that.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

TGMC421

That article was a great little Christmas gift!!  

DaFunkyPrecedent

lot of haters on the jambase forum.  They don't think MMJ "jams" enough.  Ha.  I think those jam kids don't know the difference between "jamming" and "fucking around on your guitar".

Ghostess on TV

Quotelot of haters on the jambase forum.  They don't think MMJ "jams" enough.  Ha.  I think those jam kids don't know the difference between "jamming" and "fucking around on your guitar".

Those people obviously haven't seen them live.