Main Menu

Hawaii

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Dec 30, 2009, 05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

Anyone on here had a holiday in Hawaii? It's my wife's 40th birthday next year and she's always wanted to go. I see there are a number of islands to choose from. The official tourist website gives an overview of all the islands, but you can't beat the advice of people that have been to a place.

Does anyone have expereriences of the different islands and characteristics?
Paulie W

Crispy

I love the Big Island. It's all about volcanos, snorkeling, towns, and seeing cool stuff, as opposed to beaches, cities, and hotels.

A couple of years ago, my parents rented a house in the Vacationland area on Hawaii using VRBO, and I spent a week there. It was a few hundred feet from deep tide pools with some outstanding snorkeling, and that area is just nice, low-key and relaxing. The town of Hilo is very cool, it has a huge farmer's market, giant banyan trees, and some decent restaurants. You can get touristy if you want to over at Kona, which is good to go look at anyway.

I went to Oahu when I was a teenager, and that was cool, but now I would totally prefer the Big Island.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

jones

I have been to Maui and Kauai.  Kauai was my favorite by far!  It is known as the garden island and is not as commercialized as Maui, yet there is plenty to do.  Jurassic Park was filmed in Kauai (this should give you some idea of what the vegetation/landscape is like) and it is also home to the Na Pali Coastline pictured below.

Hawkeye

I went there in November 2002 as part of the Clarke College basketball team (Division III).  It was all-expenses paid, which was nice, as I was a broke college student.  I was also only 19, so I couldn't do any drinking/bar hopping as I didn't have a fake ID, so basically we smoked up the whole time, which, if I went again, I would definitely cut back on!  It was GREAT stuff, but between the time change and the smoking and the little bit of basketball, I was passed out early almost every night.  As I didn't have much money, I was on Oahu the entire time.  The beach we went to in Honolulu was decent.  It had some nice statues and fountains and whatnot along the beach.  We went to the North Shore to see a surfing competition, but it was cancelled due to bad weather/bad waves.  We went snorkelling (probably the highlight of my trip) and to Pearl Harbor.  There seemed to be plenty of modes of transportation around the island.  We rented scooters, some of my friends rented a Jeep, there were buses going around all the time.  If you have any other questions about Oahu, I'll try to answer them.  I wish I had made it to some other islands!  Next time.
We could.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI have been to Maui and Kauai.  Kauai was my favorite by far!  It is known as the garden island and is not as commercialized as Maui, yet there is plenty to do.  Jurassic Park was filmed in Kauai (this should give you some idea of what the vegetation/landscape is like) and it is also home to the Na Pali Coastline pictured below.

I can't believe you're suggesting he and his wife go to Kauai... with all the fucking raptors and t-rexs running around eating people... thats really messed up man.  I think you should probably never come back on to this forum.  ;)
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

jones

QuoteI have been to Maui and Kauai.  Kauai was my favorite by far!  It is known as the garden island and is not as commercialized as Maui, yet there is plenty to do.  Jurassic Park was filmed in Kauai (this should give you some idea of what the vegetation/landscape is like) and it is also home to the Na Pali Coastline pictured below.

I can't believe you're suggesting he and his wife go to Kauai... with all the fucking raptors and t-rexs running around eating people... thats really messed up man.  I think you should probably never come back on to this forum.  ;)

All of the Kauai dinosaurs are actually quite laid back.  After the success of Jurassic Park and the fame and fortune that it brought them they changed their entire outlook on how their species should behave.  You are more likely now to see the Raptors out golfing or volunteering in the community, while the T-Rex have become increasingly fond of sailing and most any other nautical activity.  The modern day dinosaur is a very docile and thoughtful creature.

AMightyCaporal

All of the Kauai dinosaurs are actually quite laid back.  After the success of Jurassic Park and the fame and fortune that it brought them they changed their entire outlook on how their species should behave.  You are more likely now to see the Raptors out golfing or volunteering in the community, while the T-Rex have become increasingly fond of sailing and most any other nautical activity.  The modern day dinosaur is a very docile and thoughtful creature.
;D fair enough!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capt. scotty

;D

...I would however pay to see some T-Rex's boning
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons