Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Mar 28, 2013, 10:55 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Mar 28, 2013, 09:22 AM

I didn't have too much of a problem with Moreno's commentating.  As many Mexicans and Mexican fans we have in the states, ESPN isn't only broadcasting to us Americans. 

Isn't that what ESPN Deportes or Univision is for?   :tongue:   :wink:

For some, yes.  But not all Mexicans are fluent in Spanish.  Take Ruckus for example... dude's as Mexican as the day is long.  Not fluent in Spanish, though (i think).  Queue up Moreno.

I get what you're saying and I do agree to an extent.  When I watch our National team, I want the the commentators to be on our side.  However, I don't want them to be so biased that they aren't calling things fairly.  I kind of liked having both perspectives.

Ruckus

I enjoyed the commentary in the US match.  I always find US commentators too pro US in order to stoke interest at the expense of objective analysis.  Yes the Edu tackle should have been a penalty and we can never complain about not getting calls in Azteca ever again.

But seriously, Matthew Lowton?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBUDc2mtek
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

iLikeBeer

Anybody see Luis Suarez biting incident yesterday in the Liverpool/Chelsea match?

http://youtu.be/g7w6yHoTO-w

As if that wasn't crazy enough, this wasn't even the first time Suarez has bitten someone in a match?  He was banned 7 games for doing this when he played for Ajax?!  This dude is nothing but a racist nut job and I hope the FA has the stones to step up and make sure he never plays in the EPL again.  There's no place for this type of player in the EPL if you ask me!

Ruckus

There's no place for it anywhere.  Who cares right?  He just hates black people and bites people for recreation.  Insanity that some are calling his 10 match ban harsh.  There is precedent and a year ban would be more fitting given his history.

I am loving the Bundesliga move to the elite.  It was only a matter of time given the economic strength and size of Germany.  More and more top players are willing to leave England and Spain and Italy and German clubs are more eager to sign non German talent as well. 
Edit:  I should add that both German sides have homegrown talent, particularly Borussia Dortmund.

Congrats on your league title Beer ::)I don't see Everton making the top 4 barring a miracle.  In the meanwhile go Bayern Munchen!

iLikeBeer

Ruckus, have you been able to recover yet from Moyes leaving your beloved Toffees for the evil empire that is ManU?   :tongue:   :beer:

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 15, 2013, 02:09 PM
Ruckus, have you been able to recover yet from Moyes leaving your beloved Toffees for the evil empire that is ManU?   :tongue:   :beer:
You are a bad human being beer.  I love Moyes and I want to wish him the best but of course I will cheer for Red Devil failure.  I was crushed but we all knew it was coming.  Not that it would have happened but the only thing worse would have been Moyes trolling the sidelines of Anfield.

In better news, I grabbed quarterfinal tix for the Gold Cup at M&T Bank.  So long as the US finishes 1 or 2 in their group, we'll see them.

Only 50 bucks for decent seats for both quarterfinals combined

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on May 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 15, 2013, 02:09 PM
You are a bad human being beer.  I love Moyes and I want to wish him the best but of course I will cheer for Red Devil failure.  I was crushed but we all knew it was coming.  Not that it would have happened but the only thing worse would have been Moyes trolling the sidelines of Anfield.

I can't imagine what a dagger that must be for Evertonians to see Moyes now sitting in the chair of Sir Alex.  I'm excited to see what Moyes can do with basically unlimited recourses at ManU.  To think what he was able to accomplish at Everton with a limited budget at best, it's scary to think of the success he could have at ManU!

Anywho, nice to have another Scot roaming the sidelines at Old Trafford!  I've always liked Moyes and I was hoping he'd be the man to succeed Fergussen and not the Special One...

Any idea of who replaces Moyes?  They're going to have big shoes to fill to try and duplicate the success Moyes brought to the Toffees.

Quote from: Ruckus on May 17, 2013, 03:08 PM
In better news, I grabbed quarterfinal tix for the Gold Cup at M&T Bank.  So long as the US finishes 1 or 2 in their group, we'll see them.

Only 50 bucks for decent seats for both quarterfinals combined

Very cool!  :thumbsup: Hope the US is there playing!   :beer: 

The US is playing a friendly with Belgium in Cleveland but it's on the day we're leaving for vacation so I'll be missing it.  I'd LOVE to go to the WC qualifier down in C'bus in September.  Had tix to go the last time they played a Cup qualifier there but I had to bail at the last minute.  I just remember watching it and how pissed I was to be missing watching the US take down El Tri...

Ruckus

Hope you get tix to the WC qualifier Beer.  I was fortunate enough to attend the 2010 WC qualification clincher against Costa Rica at RFK which may have been of the best live sports moments of my life.

So I was at the Gold Cup quarterfinal here against El Salvador and it was a great time.  We had lower upper deck right on the 50 so the sight lines for the entire field were perfect.  Once Honduras and El Salvador qualified, the event sold out.  I'd say of the 70000 attendees, about 20% were American, 50% were Salvadoran, 25% were Honduran, and 5% other (not many Costa Ricans around here) but you'd think it was skewed more because Honduran and Salvadoran jerseys looked so much alike. 

As for the team, I'm just trying not to read too much into this unprecedented winning streak.  However tempering the excitement has been tough when they are showing offensive creativity that I've never seen before and they are getting healthy.  They consistently used space wisely with mechanical precision and created chance after chance.  They probably left another 2 or 3 goals out there as well.  Donovan looked world class on Sunday and Klinsman is going to find a clever way to incorporate him onto the #1 national side without disrupting the chemistry that Dempsey and Altidore have finally developed. 

As for the 1st team, I like Besler and Gonzalez enough in the middle and Fabian Johnson has been somewhat of a revelation for me.  Bradley has been a monster in the middle and I wonder if Holden will be able to capture a spot to move up as well.  Lots to figure out between now and next summer but I sure like where this is headed.

iLikeBeer

Did anyone catch that friendly between the US and Bosnia the other day?

All I can say is Jozy Altidore is playing like a man possessed!  I was beginning to wonder if he would ever show me anything for the US National Team and boy has he proven me wrong!  He scored a hat trick in the 2nd half for the US after they were down 2-0 at the break in the US's come from behind 4-3 win over the 13th ranked team in the world on their turf!  It was also the first time the US had a come from behind win on European soil and kept intact their 12 game win streak which is currently the longest streak in the world!   :thumbsup:   :beer: