Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteThe major AM station 620WDAE broadcasts the Rays and very few I believe are on 1010AM (yankees) . red sox get a good crowd in as well at the fruitdome.  what a dump of a stadium.  What are your thoughts on A-Roid getting to 600 HR's....tainted
C'mon...Who really cares?  At this point, it's who got away with it.
Are people jumping all over Bret Boone or Jeff Bagwell, or any other mediocre player who made the league just because he was doing what every one else was doing?  I sure as hell know that I'd have every person in this forum sticking me with a needle as long as I played.  This moral high ground is hilarious to me.  I'm just glad that it's straightening itself out.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

.Walt

QuoteThe major AM station 620WDAE broadcasts the Rays and very few I believe are on 1010AM (yankees) . red sox get a good crowd in as well at the fruitdome.  what a dump of a stadium.  What are your thoughts on A-Roid getting to 600 HR's....tainted
Are people jumping all over Bret Boone or Jeff Bagwell, or any other mediocre player who made the league just because he was doing what every one else was doing?  I sure as hell know that I'd have every person in this forum sticking me with a needle as long as I played.  This moral high ground is hilarious to me.  I'm just glad that it's straightening itself out.

Thanks for explaining the attendance issue TBC.

Trust me, every time I hear the names Bret Boone and Jeff Bagwell I think roids. Their not any better.

But A-Rod is a big time player, and he's on a different level because he's so good...a Clemens/Bonds level. The fact that we're even having this conversation means he did something wrong. And when you do something wrong you get punished. He didn't have to give money back, he didn't get suspended, and he didn't have to give homeruns back, but this is the way he gets punished, and I think that's 100% fair. It's not just happening to him, it's happening to everyone that was linked.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

Jaimoe

Trust me, every time I hear the names Bret Boone and Jeff Bagwell I think roids. Their not any better.

But A-Rod is a big time player, and he's on a different level because he's so good...a Clemens/Bonds level. The fact that we're even having this conversation means he did something wrong. And when you do something wrong you get punished. He didn't have to give money back, he didn't get suspended, and he didn't have to give homeruns back, but this is the way he gets punished, and I think that's 100% fair. It's not just happening to him, it's happening to everyone that was linked.  

One main reason why nobody cares about A-Roid getting his 600th is because he's a classless a-hole. He said he took roids in Texas because he couldn't handle the pressure of playing in... wait for it... Texas. What a fucking lying piece of shit. Has there ever been a great player less liked than this fucking idiot? Maybe Ty Cobb? Maybe Pete Rose? Give me some more folks. There ain't too many.

Penny Lane

One main reason why nobody cares about A-Roid getting his 600th is because he's a classless a-hole. He said he took roids in Texas because he couldn't handle the pressure of playing in... wait for it... Texas. What a fucking lying piece of shit. Has there ever been a great player less liked than this fucking idiot? Maybe Ty Cobb? Maybe Pete Rose? Give me some more folks. There ain't too many.

I don't know, Jaimoe. i've seen Friday Night Lights and even those high school athletes have it tough. Texas don't play! lol
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

Bagwell was mediocre???v :-?

Id say a .297 avg, 449 HR's, 1529 RBI's is a lot better than mediocre. He's borderline HOF for chrissake.

I agree with you about the whole morals thing and baseball not letting guys in. Guys like McGwire, Palmeiro, etc were some of the best of their generation regardless of PED's or not, and deserve to be there. That said, I think Bonds and A-Rod will actually get voted in, possibly first ballot, because they were/are once in a decade talents.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Id say a .297 avg, 449 HR's, 1529 RBI's is a lot better than mediocre. He's borderline HOF for chrissake.

I agree with you about the whole morals thing and baseball not letting guys in. Guys like McGwire, Palmeiro, etc were some of the best of their generation regardless of PED's or not, and deserve to be there. That said, I think Bonds and A-Rod will actually get voted in, possibly first ballot, because they were/are once in a decade talents.

Yeah, yeah.. I got ya.  What I meant I guess was that Bagwell was real low pick and was not highly touted and turned into, as you said, a HOF type player.  It just fascinates me that people get riled up.  I'd venture that the PED use was at at least 90% of players at its peak.  Sure there is no way to prove it but there was no way you could play in the league if you weren't.  I'm a Cubbies fan and I KNOW that the likes of Aramis and Pryor were juiced.  The entire Orioles team was during the Palmeiro era from Brady Anderson, Albert Belle to Larry Bigbie and Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons.  These are just players that were implicated in one way or another.

Jaimoe,  I know your not an AROD lover but c'mon from Clemens to Vernon Wells, you boys up north like it to.  What's in the water up there?  Test Bautista! ;D ;D

Jaimoe

Yeah, yeah.. I got ya.  What I meant I guess was that Bagwell was real low pick and was not highly touted and turned into, as you said, a HOF type player.  It just fascinates me that people get riled up.  I'd venture that the PED use was at at least 90% of players at its peak.  Sure there is no way to prove it but there was no way you could play in the league if you weren't.  I'm a Cubbies fan and I KNOW that the likes of Aramis and Pryor were juiced.  The entire Orioles team was during the Palmeiro era from Brady Anderson, Albert Belle to Larry Bigbie and Brian Roberts and Jay Gibbons.  These are just players that were implicated in one way or another.

Jaimoe,  I know your not an AROD lover but c'mon from Clemens to Vernon Wells, you boys up north like it to.  What's in the water up there?  Test Bautista! ;D ;D

Wells? Nah. He wants the list of guilty players expanded and published. The Jays have a new batting coach and the team is leading the AL in homers. Ironically, the Jays two best players, Adam Lind and Aaron Hill, are having terrible years. Bautista has adjusted his swing this season and he's finally not being used as a utility player. He's far more patient at the plate and he swings for the fences more often. One former Jay that was found guilty of juicing is the Brewers catcher, Greg Zaun. Clemens is a lying piece of shit. He was never really embraced by the city either, even with those back-to-back Cy Youngs. Toronto's best-ever homebred pitchers are as follows (first 5 are in order of what I believe to be true): Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Pat Hentgen, Jim Clancy and relievers Duane Ward and Tom Henke. David Wells was pretty good with the Jays, but not in that starters class. Toronto got rid of Chris Carpenter right when he was getting good.

That being said, I don't trust baseball at all for being even moderately clean. MLB isn't anywhere as dirty as cycling (Lance Armstrong is fucked, and fuck him) or football, but it's dirty nonetheless... and it's sad.

.Walt

QuoteIt just fascinates me that people get riled up.  I'd venture that the PED use was at at least 90% of players at its peak.

90%?

I would say less than 30%. On a 25 man roster, and you think less than 3 player weren't using?  

Ruckus

QuoteIt just fascinates me that people get riled up.  I'd venture that the PED use was at at least 90% of players at its peak.

90%?

I would say less than 30%. On a 25 man roster, and you think less than 3 player weren't using?  
Yes

capt. scotty

Trading Bautista for a bag of balls is one of the few recent trades I cant flame the Buccos for. He showed to be nothing more than a .260/15/60 guy when he was here.

I agree, test him.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteTrading Bautista for a bag of balls is one of the few recent trades I cant flame the Buccos for. He showed to be nothing more than a .260/15/60 guy when he was here.

I agree, test him.

Sure, test 'em all in the league. Don't forget about Jeter either. A-Rod is due for giving up another sample.

.Walt

QuoteToronto's best-ever homebred pitchers are as follows (first 5 are in order of what I believe to be true): Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Pat Hentgen, Jim Clancy and relievers Duane Ward and Tom Henke.

He's number one is my book!

Jaimoe

QuoteToronto's best-ever homebred pitchers are as follows (first 5 are in order of what I believe to be true): Dave Stieb, Roy Halladay, Jimmy Key, Pat Hentgen, Jim Clancy and relievers Duane Ward and Tom Henke.

Juan had some good seasons, but he ain't no Stieb or Halladay.

BH

Big three game series starting tonight Dylan!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

I remember having a conversation about Juan a few years back. Do you think he had the best hair of all time for the Jays? I was a huge Blue Jays fan when I was 8. I had a Joe Carter folder when he was on the Indians.

8 years old with a folder of a player = your favorite player. Your favorite player = your favorite team. At least that's how I rolled.

My aunt bought me a fitted Jays hat in 93 for my birthday (the old school one), but it was too big. She never told me that until I was in high school and gave she me the hat. 2 years later the throw back look became popular. Now I don't wanna say I started the fashion trend, but hey, if the shoe fits.

.Walt

QuoteBig three game series starting tonight Dylan!

Do I sense an avatar bet between the two people who's picture never changes?

Jaimoe

I remember having a conversation about Juan a few years back. Do you think he had the best hair of all time for the Jays? I was a huge Blue Jays fan when I was 8. I had a Joe Carter folder when he was on the Indians.

8 years old with a folder of a player = your favorite player. Your favorite player = your favorite team. At least that's how I rolled.

My aunt bought me a fitted Jays hat in 93 for my birthday (the old school one), but it was too big. She never told me that until I was in high school and gave she me the hat. 2 years later the throw back look became popular. Now I don't wanna say I started the fashion trend, but hey, if the shoe fits.

Juan had some great hair looks that's for sure. He also packed on the pounds for some not so good looks.

The Jays have had a plethora of bad moustaches over the years, including Stieb's.  

Back in '92-'93, I was celebrating back-to-back Jays victories. After they made the final out in '92 or on Carter's series-winning HR, each year there were over two million fans high-fiving all the way up Yonge Street, some even made it to HWY 401 @ Yonge Street, which is over 30 kilometres north of downtown Toronto. Not one arrest during either spontaneous celebration either. Nothing beats this, including two gold medal Olympic hockey wins.

BH

;D I would accept that challenge!  But I guess Dylan's only got about 90 minutes to accept.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMillionDreams

;D I would accept that challenge!  But I guess Dylan's only got about 90 minutes to accept.

I don't like the Cards. FYI. Play ball!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]