Baseball Thread...

Started by mother_earth, Feb 22, 2007, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

QuoteThanks for coming to my defense Ruckus!   ;)
I wasn't defending a traitorous Wolverine fan who grew up in Ohio.  I just wanted Walts and Penny to quiet down. ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

As for the tribe, they are my hometown team.  I've lived in NE Ohio since 8th grade (about the same time I became a Cubs fan).  I remember summers in high school where my friends and I would just drive up to Cleveland Stadium when there was nothing else to do but take in a Tribe game.  Nothing like seeing that 80,000 seat behemoth of a stadium with 4000-6000 fans in attendace!  Then came the glory years of the Jake in the 90's and going to a game becaues there was nothing better to do was no longer an option.   And now, unfortunately that option is back...  :P   ::)

Beer, I have those same memories...I grew up going w/my brother and his friends to Cle Stadium and I was there for the first pitch at Jacob's field. Your explanation makes it acceptable. Now I understand your allegiances. Carry on, brother.
:) ;)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Quote So to me, one shouldn't be ostracized for changing loyalties so long as you are a passionate fan of the sport.  

No! You can't switch or change, you can MAYBE add teams if they're not in the same conference.

11/20. You better show up.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

As for the tribe, they are my hometown team.  I've lived in NE Ohio since 8th grade (about the same time I became a Cubs fan).  I remember summers in high school where my friends and I would just drive up to Cleveland Stadium when there was nothing else to do but take in a Tribe game.  

Get stoned and go cow tipping wasnt an option?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

As for the tribe, they are my hometown team.  I've lived in NE Ohio since 8th grade (about the same time I became a Cubs fan).  I remember summers in high school where my friends and I would just drive up to Cleveland Stadium when there was nothing else to do but take in a Tribe game.  

That was ALWAYS an option.

iLikeBeer

LOL!  Getting stoned was part of the Cleveland Stadium experience.  The cow tipping happened on our way home!   :D

I wasn't defending a traitorous Wolverine fan who grew up in Ohio.  I just wanted Walts and Penny to quiet down. ;D

To be fair, I didn't move to Ohio until I was in 8th grade and it also coincided with Michigan's dominating of one John Cooper to the tune of 10-2-1 over a 13 year span.  And things may be down in the dumps for my Wolverines of late, but I would never even fathom changing allegiances.  For one thing, it would cost too much money to overhaul all my Michigan gear for another team.   ;D

.Walt

What did I say? All I said...is when the Cubs make the playoffs, people jump on their bandwagon quicker than any other team. That has to be a fact. And if you guys are Cubs fans you should be sick of it too. Who doesn't have that friend that goes to Wrigley and then all of a sudden they're the biggest Cubs fan?

I have plenty of fond memories going to Wrigley. My grandma is a huge Cubs fan. I'd go to Milwaukee for 3 weeks every summer and the highlight was going to a couple Cubs games at Wrigley and going to a couple Brewers games. I still have a couple Cubs hats at my parents house. I thought I was a Cubs fan. Then I figured it out at about 17. Everyone is a Cubs fan. I could tell stories about going to Wrigley over a dozen times, my 90 year old grandma listening to the games on the radio, and watching what seemed every Cubs games on WGN during summer vacation from school.  I realized I couldn't be part of fanbase that about 50% of the fans don't even know baseball or cared to know anything about the team. As long as they're drunk by the 7th inning stretch and singing, they could careless if the Cubs are getting their asses kicked. I put my foot down when it comes to the Cubs, and I hope they never win a thing!

Sorry grandma.   :-*
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

iLikeBeer

I guess I'm just not that judgemental when it comes to questioning other people's fandom.  There are a lot of different circumstances that lead to why people become fans of different teams.  Part about what I like about the Cubs is what you seem to hate and that is the fact that their fanbase is nationwide!  Cubs fans fill up opposing stadiums and I love seeing that on TV.  I love how Miller Park turns into Wrigley Field North when the Cubs travel up to Milwaukee.  I love how there were more Cubs fans in Atlanta than there were Braves fans in the 2003 NLDS.  And I love the party atmosphere you find at Wrigley field each and every game no matter how good or how bad things are going!

I mean, what's a better fanbase.  Cubs fans whom you can count on to sell out each and every game at Wrigley whether the Cubs are in 1st place or whether they're 20 games out, or fans like Braves fans or Reds fans who can't even sell out their ballparks when their teams are in first place?  Even your Twins couldn't sell out games when they were competing for AL Central titles year in and year out until they got a new stadium built.

I guess I just choose to not question why people are fans of whatever team they like.  Maybe some fans go for the flavor of the month and yes those fans annoy the hell out of me, but I'm probably not going to go out of my way to associate with those fans either.  

.Walt

When a person goes to Chicago in the summer what's one of the first things most people do? They go to Wrigley. Most baseball fans do that in the summer, they make a trip to Wrigley. Or even your average tourist. People put on the colors of the Cubs and just go to have a good time...there's nothing wrong with that. But comparing a 60,000 seat stadium to a 35,000 seat one is a big difference. And a indoor football stadium to an outdoor iconic stadium, there's also a difference. Or sizes of the cities. When I mentioned Tampa Bay, it wasn't because they didn't sell out on a Monday. It was 17,000 people. I didn't expect a sellout, but maybe at least 25,000. I don't think it's questioning other people's fandom, more of making an observation.

See you and ruckus  think I was talking about  both of you, or maybe just you. When someone said you're a Cubs fan. I thought you were an Indians fan, because when you first wrote a message in here you said you were an Indians fan. Ended talking about you at that point, and then I just went on a Cubs rant. That I thought was clear I wasn't talking about you. I mentioned people jumping on the Cubs bandwagon during the playoffs, and clearly the Cubs are not going to the playoffs. I wasn't calling you out. That's why when Ruckus said something I was surprised. Although I still think Cubs fans should only be a Cubs fans. And a Yankees fan shouldn't have another favorite team (one, because they don't care about other teams. two, because most other teams hate the Yankees) When you said some fans annoy the hell out of you, that's a fashionable Cubs fan to me. Is that you? I don't know, I wouldn't think so with all the Cubs gear you represent and taking a family vacation to see the Cubs. Again, why I was surprised Ruckus thought I was calling you out. But that's why I said it's my opinion, and if you disagree, that's perfectly fine. But I wasn't talking about you or Ruckus.

I have plenty of other favorite teams. I like Oakland and Milwaukee in baseball. Blackhawks and Leafs in Hockey. I also make it clear which one I only really really love. I don't think people should have 2 number ones. I think most fans only have one true team, and a couple others, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I'm going to go on a rant about anything to do with baseball, in a baseball thread...I think I just did  ;)

Edit: I just read the N C double A college football thread, now I know why Penny was brought up. I was wondering why she did.

.Walt

Me and my brother at a Rockies game.

iLikeBeer

No worries Walts.  It's all good.  I just get a little over sensative when I feel I'm being questioned about my fandom.  And trust me, as a Michigan fan living here in the heart of enemy territory, I get questioned A LOT!   :D

.Walt

QuoteNo worries Walts.  It's all good.  I just get a little over sensative when I feel I'm being questioned about my fandom.  And trust me, as a Michigan fan living here in the heart of enemy territory, I get questioned A LOT!   :D

Ha, yeah.  After reading it again it does kinda come across like I'm a Nazi. I should've spaced it better. Glad we can still be friends  ;)

Also BTW I lost all respect for Troy Tulowitzki after going to the Rockies game. I knew he grew a mullet. I'm cool with that, especially after it has something to do with charity. But the song he comes to the plate to....Miley Cyrus. What the hell?

Ruckus

Walts, you're all good man.  Just talkin' some junk.  I actually agree with you about a large majority of Cubs fans.  I find them to be unbearable as well.  I won't get into that til I have a keyboard.  This phone is not the preferred instrument for an angry rant about Cubs fans.  I suppose I'm one of them. :-[

Ruckus

So Aroldis Chapman hit 105 on the gun the other day eh?  Not too shabby.  His arm is going to explode.

Oh Walts.  Me and my buddy have a preseason bet of a handle of Evan Williams on who would hit more homers this season.  Wieters or Mauer.  I took Wieters.  This could get interesting. ;D

.Walt

QuoteSo Aroldis Chapman hit 105 on the gun the other day eh?  Not too shabby.  His arm is going to explode.

Oh Walts.  Me and my buddy have a preseason bet of a handle of Evan Williams on who would hit more homers this season.  Wieters or Mauer.  I took Wieters.  This could get interesting. ;D

;D

I would've gone with Mauer, but after his performance this year I'm sure he's back to his oppo singles. I got into an argument before the season started with my roommate. I'd rather have a guy like Ryan Howard than Joe Mauer. I had to explain how runs and rbi's win games, and getting on 1st doesn't win games. I know it's hard to find a catcher that hits as well as Mauer, but position was outta of the equation.

ophidiophobia

QuoteNo worries Walts.  It's all good.  I just get a little over sensative when I feel I'm being questioned about my fandom.  And trust me, as a Michigan fan living here in the heart of enemy territory, I get questioned A LOT!   :D

Ha, yeah.  After reading it again it does kinda come across like I'm a Nazi. I should've spaced it better. Glad we can still be friends  ;)

Also BTW I lost all respect for Troy Tulowitzki after going to the Rockies game. I knew he grew a mullet. I'm cool with that, especially after it has something to do with charity. But the song he comes to the plate to....Miley Cyrus. What the hell?
My friend and I went and watched the Rockie's AA team sometime back in July when Tulo was rehabbing. He had the mullet and Miley Cyrus music then too. I thought it was strange but I think the mullet is the worse offense, not the music.

.Walt

My friend and I went and watched the Rockie's AA team sometime back in July when Tulo was rehabbing. He had the mullet and Miley Cyrus music then too. I thought it was strange but I think the mullet is the worse offense, not the music.

Sweet! Where's the Rockies AA team?

He's growing the mullet for the kids though. I would agree with the mullet being worse, but it's about the kids ;D

iLikeBeer

QuoteHe's growing the mullet for the kids though. I would agree with the mullet being worse, but it's about the kids ;D

Being the hockey guy I thought you were Walts, I thought you'd be all over the mullet!    ;)

Ruckus

QuoteHe's growing the mullet for the kids though. I would agree with the mullet being worse, but it's about the kids ;D

Being the hockey guy I thought you were Walts, I thought you'd be all over the mullet!    ;)
I currently have a mullet.  I'm not sure I have the balls to post a pic here though.

aMillionDreams

We need a mullet pic.  ;D

I love watching my Reds these days! It'll be fun to watch Aroldis.  He throws straight fire!

I don't know how far we can make it some such a hodge podge of young talent but to be leading the division at this point is pretty awesome! I went ahead and bought nice seats for the last game of the year in case it's a big one.  That would be something to be watching a game that meant something in Cincinnati in October!  :)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]