The man, the myth, Jeff Mangum returns????

Started by PapaJoeBear, Jun 28, 2006, 01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaJoeBear

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/Jeff_Mangum_Returns#37148

So what do you think?  By far my favorite song writer, and am beyond happy to hear just murmurs of Jeff returning to music.   ;D

ratsprayer

i think it's an authentic post, so i'm fucking giddy beyond belief.  if anyone wanted to fake a statement from jeff, i think it would have been done long ago, plus he made a few appearances with OTC last year.  i've already seen huge NMH fans show big disappointment because they think anything new that he does will suck.  he's definitely not the same person he was before, so i don't expect nor would i want IN THE AEROPLANE OVER THE SEA PART 2.

rock on, jeff.

ratsprayer

no one has anything else to say about this?  this is the biggest news ever, unless we hear about syd barrett returning to music.  jeff fuckin' mangum!  maybe his quasi-insanity is over, and he's made peace with his demons.  robert wyatt (he of soft machine fame) left music for ages and came back and released an astounding cd.  i think that's been jeff's plan all along, and i can't wait to hear it.  plus there was a mention of touring.  i can't even imagine how much money i'd be willing to throw down to see neutral milk hotel live.  anyway, i know my excitement is more than enough for everyone!     ;D ;D ;D ;D

PapaJoeBear

I'm so excited I teared up a bit when I read it. Ratsprayer, if they do tour,  we should meet up at a show! Because no mater where the show is, I'm gonna be there! NMH is one of the greatest bands of all time. I'm just as big of a fan of On Avery Island as I am In the Aeroplane...  
Still, though, my fav song is Engine, hands down. THe simplicity of the song matched with the stunning imagery of Jeff's lyrics...man I gotta listen to it now.

SpacedCowboy

OH Comely, is poetry. hope this is true.  Welcome back Jeff!  The return of elephant 6?  OTC,   Apples in Stereo, and Neutral Milk.  What a year
and the pump don't work cause the vandal took the handle

ratsprayer

pitchfork did an update on their story, and now it seems that robert schneider, leader of apples in stereo, e-mailed jeff to confirm that it was jeff who wrote the post.  jeff 100% denied the post, so now comes the biggest disappointment ever.  i guess i got a little too trusting, but why fake something from jeff after all this time?  

most people are bastards, folks.

:-/ :-/

Chills

Umm, so I need to hear In The Aeroplane Over The Sea?
Yes?

ratsprayer

QuoteUmm, so I need to hear In The Aeroplane Over The Sea?
Yes?

i would venture to say it's the best album you've never heard, and once you do, you'll never be the same.  (in a good way)

ratsprayer

FYI, the lovely person who's responsible for this hoax is BillyLiar on the decemberists' message board.  

PapaJoeBear

I've got murder on my mind........ >:(

What a horrible hoax.

primushead

Doh!  Just saw this post and, quite frankly, me and my avatar are horribly disappointed.

:-/

tenn

bold99

I would love to hear more music from Jeff.  I was and still am obsessed with the Aeroplane album.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

red

I got this NMH bootlegged DVD somewhere along the line and there's this performance of the only post-Aeroplane song Jeff's played before.  "Little Birds" it's called.  Haunting, demented and beautiful.  

EDIT: Enjoy...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U42ODpTdX3Q[/media]

Ruckus

Really didn't know where to put this other than the complaints thread.  So I was never the biggest Neutral Milk Hotel guy.  However, I really enjoyed the Rural Alberta Advantage's debut album and was excited to hear the new one, Departing.  I'm really liking it as well.  Where am I going with this?

WTF is this review on CoS about the new RAA album about?  Is there anything about the album?  It was so tedious to read and I expected a little more from CoS respecting the band they were supposed to be reviewing. ::)

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/03/album-review-the-rural-alberta-advantage-departing/
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

Your first mistake was expecting more from CoS...   ;)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Ruckus

Quote from: ALady on Mar 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
Your first mistake was expecting more from CoS...   ;)

Fair enough thought it was still the worst 'album' review I've ever read.  Did you read it?  I hope the next Circuital review talks about Neil Young and the Flaming Lips the whole time.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

Yeah.  Well, I tried to read it.   :P  Par for the course for that site, unfortunately.  I think it's great they've grown so much - but they have noooo quality control.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires