Main Menu

Daniel Johnston!!!

Started by aMD, Apr 24, 2007, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

dragonboy

QuoteEDIT: Discovered/Covered seems to be currently out of print  :(
Found a Japanese copy in the store today!!!  :D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

corey

Clem Snide's version of "Don't let the sun go down on your grievances" is fucking awesome.

aMD

Score, db!  Let me know what you think of it.  I'm going to pop my copy in this morning. Cheers!

dragonboy

Score, db!  Let me know what you think of it.  I'm going to pop my copy in this morning. Cheers!
Played it yesterday (Daniel's disc, not the covers) & was completely blown away.
I knew that his songs were Lo-Fi but didn't realise that they were quite that Lo-Fi so that was a bit of a surprise but I think this adds to their charm.
My Life Is Starting Over Again, Don't Let The Sun...,Sorry Entertainer, Devil Town, Like A  Monkey In The Zoo etc are all classics.
King Kong made me laugh out loud the whole way through  ;D

Having played the disc a few times I had to watch The Devil And..., which was also excellent, one of the best music documentaries I've seen.

Which full albums do I need to buy now?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMD

Played it yesterday (Daniel's disc, not the covers) & was completely blown away.
I knew that his songs were Lo-Fi but didn't realise that they were quite that Lo-Fi so that was a bit of a surprise but I think this adds to their charm.
My Life Is Starting Over Again, Don't Let The Sun...,Sorry Entertainer, Devil Town, Like A  Monkey In The Zoo etc are all classics.
King Kong made me laugh out loud the whole way through  ;D

Having played the disc a few times I had to watch The Devil And..., which was also excellent, one of the best music documentaries I've seen.

Which full albums do I need to buy now?

I'm glad you dig daniel!  the covered disc is great but i really much prefer discovered.
Here are the big three:

Hi How are You? (there's a double cassette of this and Continued Story that is excellent)
Yip/Jump Music

If you haven't noticed Daniel has a huge body of work.  He has 36 albums tons of EPs, singles, and comp tracks.  The director of the doc said he has at least as many unreleased songs as he has released songs.  So there's a lot to take in, but those three are the must-haves.

dragonboy

Thanks for the info aMD, I was just looking at his discography over at allmusic.com
Daniel Johnston & His Hyperjinx Tricycle has to be one of the coolest album titles ever  ;D

Chills

Here's M. Ward covering Daniel Johnston. Ignore the video, just listen to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GOoccNI6pM

red

I think it's time for me to move on from just my copy of Welcome to My World.  Suggestions?

Tom Waits' cover of "King Kong" is f*cking terrifying (in the best possible way imaginable).

aMD

well, there's early daniel and late daniel which are both great in their own ways.

Early stuff:
Hi, How are You
Continued Story
Yip/Jump Music

Later stuff:
Fear yourself
Fun
1990 (his demons with religion are on full display here)

And if you missed one of my earlier posts :
he has a great fan site that has free mp3s, some of his art work, and a lot of other shit.  Here's the link:
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/
(if you go to the bottom of the screen and click the word "bottom" it will take you to the members only section with a ton more free mp3s and other cool shit)

also, hi how are you and yip.jump music are being rereleased in November on vinyl which include a freee digital download with purchase.  His latest album will be released in Nov as well.  I can't wait!

LizKing531

Quotewell, there's early daniel and late daniel which are both great in their own ways.

Early stuff:
Hi, How are You
Continued Story
Yip/Jump Music

Later stuff:
Fear yourself
Fun
1990 (his demons with religion are on full display here)

And if you missed one of my earlier posts :
he has a great fan site that has free mp3s, some of his art work, and a lot of other shit.  Here's the link:
http://www.rejectedunknown.com/
(if you go to the bottom of the screen and click the word "bottom" it will take you to the members only section with a ton more free mp3s and other cool shit)

also, hi how are you and yip.jump music are being rereleased in November on vinyl which include a freee digital download with purchase.  His latest album will be released in Nov as well.  I can't wait!
Now how in the hell am I supposed to read that tiny ass type?   ;D

aMD

cut and paste is a beautiful thing (as is adjusting font size)

aMD

Daniel's online digital download store is open for business. A dream come true for me, thought some of you may be interested.  Many out-of-print/rare albums are available.  Prices are very reasonable. Discovered/Covered which is two discs and include tracks by tom waits, beck, flaming lips, etc. is 10.50USD!

http://www.yipeyetunes.com/shop/digital_music/

aMillionDreams

Daniel Johnston is playing in da ville tomorrow!  Can't wait!

It's at the Mellwood Arts Center for the Good Folk Festival. He goes on at 2:00.  Maybe I'll see you there.  I'll be the one having a religious experience.

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

LizKing531

God it's great to be alive!!