Tell Me Springsteen Sucks...

Started by KY_Kid, Feb 01, 2009, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

No offense to you faithfuls, but I really, really dislike this guy and his music.  Alright, I'll take my licks now...

mjkoehler

Really are not going to get much argument from me. I was never a fan.....I tried to be many times and the Boss just never spoke to me.

joey_rogo

i saw him at gmen stadium in july. he came on 2.5 hours late (apparently cause of an accident on the highway). the delay caused me to run out of tailgating beer and thus i was not happy. beer at the stadium was $8 (not his fault). his show was energetic, but every song literally sounds the same. did those songs sound different just now? no. the show went for 3 hours, i had to drive home for 4 hours leaving at 1. the 4 hours did not include stadium traffic. the crowd around us sat the whole time and yawned. it was a completely lame experience. the only highlight was when one of the guitarists did a flip while he played a solo. he did a flip. a fuckign flip. other than that, i was super not happy. i had more fun watching him just now during halftime, with a delish beer in my hand, than i did when i saw him live. i dont know what that means. im still pissed about that pick. and yay, now i get to listen to john madden.

red

Remember that time I posted about making eye contact with the Boss?  I felt like f*cking Courtney Cox.  Anyways, his first six or eight albums are all excellent.  And 'The Seeger Sessions' is a gem as well.

He doesn't suck and in the words of a man wiser than me: "Fuck all y'all!"  ;)

dragonboy

QuoteNo offense to you faithfuls, but I really, really dislike this guy and his music.  Alright, I'll take my licks now...
Fair enough, you may not like him or his music but I don't think anyone can deny his contribution to music.

I like all sorts of funk/soul etc but can't get into Prince & don't like some of the things I've read about his ego. That said, I appreciate his contribution to music & wouldn't dream of starting a "Tell Me Prince Sucks" thread...not unless I wanted to look like an idiot.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

jones

QuoteNo offense to you faithfuls, but I really, really dislike this guy and his music.  Alright, I'll take my licks now...
Fair enough, you may not like him or his music but I don't think anyone can deny his contribution to music.

I like all sorts but funk/soul etc but can't get into Prince & don't like some of the things I've read about his ego. That said, I appreciate his contribution to music & wouldn't dream of starting a "Tell Me Prince Sucks" thread...not unless I wanted to look like an idiot.

'Fair enough', that's my opinion. Even an 'idiot' deserves that...

dragonboy

I like all sorts but funk/soul etc but can't get into Prince & don't like some of the things I've read about his ego. That said, I appreciate his contribution to music & wouldn't dream of starting a "Tell Me Prince Sucks" thread...not unless I wanted to look like an idiot.

Ouch.  Did I just deny the Boss of his contributions to music by my keystrokes?  I just don't dig it.  No need to start in with the idiot talk...

Ghosts, did you get this much heat for your DMB thread?
C'mon...Springsteen Sucks!  :-/

Had you started the thread with something like 'I don't like Springsteen' or 'I can't get into Springsteen' then you would have opened the floor for a valid and possibly interesting debate but Springsteen Sucks? That's just juvenile IMO.

Nevermind, let's try again. Have you heard anything from Nebraska or Ghost Of Tom Joad?

And you need to go back & look at Ghosts' DMB thread again, he was trying to show people that they don't suck.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

jones

Maybe DMB and the Boss should tour?!  Count me in.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteMaybe DMB and the Boss should tour?!  Count me in.

I'd be down.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Dudley

Yeah I don't have much against the Boss besides his political agenda... But that halftime show sucked... 4 guitars?? Come on Bruce... And was the church group necessary for 30 seconds of singing?? I don't know....

Janet

My personal favorite was the opening when he "posed" with his guitar then handed it off without playing a lick.

I am neutral (Switzerland or is that Sweden?) on the subject of The Boss, however, I did not enjoy having to wait 45+ minutes both times I saw him live (different tours) - and both times he did not bother to give us house music through the arena sound system.  Just uncomfortable silence whilst waiting.....

el_chode

Born in raised in Jersey, I prefer Bruce only in spite of the Jovi since Sinatra is irrelevant and claimed by New York. Sure, we have the Misfits and Blues Traveler and the Spin Doctors and Tom Verlaine and Yo La Tengo and NICOLE ATKINS and Silver Jews, but no one cares about that.

I see why people like him, I like a lot of his songs, but I think locally the appreciation is "because he's from Jersey" more than "OMG he makes good music"
I'm surrounded by assholes

aMillionDreams

I love the Boss, I don't care if he is cheesy.  That power slide into the camera was great.  He pulled off all the stops but keep it fun.  And the band sounded good.  I'm with K
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

dragonboy

So he didn't use his half-time slot to "protest against the bloodshed in the Middle East"?

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/?date=2009-01-31

Outspoken comedienne Roseanne Barr is urging Bruce Springsteen to use his upcoming appearance at the Super Bowl to protest against the bloodshed in the Middle East. The Jewish actress has publicly condemned Israel's role in the recent attacks on the Palestinian-held Gaza strip.

And Barr wants the rocker to do the same by making a political protest when he performs at the big game, between Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers, on Sunday.

She writes on her website, "The Boss oughta demand during his half-time appearance this Sunday that Obama stop bombing Pakistan . . . and stop funding the Israeli war machine! Tell Obama to . . . make Israel stop bombing Gaza!!!!"

dragonboy

charps

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6TuZ6lSWI

At first I thought this youtube was of this song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NltljcANCFs&feature=related,

probably my favorite Bruce song ever (the intro to that youtube was this song).  The problem a lot of people have with Bruce, in my opinion, is that they've heard mostly his popular stuff.  I mean some of it is great like Born to Run and Thunder Road, but a lot of people know Bruce for stuff like Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, and Caddilac Ranch.  If you have listened to The Wild, The Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, or Nebraska and still dislike him, well then you just dislike him.  But if you haven't listened to these albums then you haven't heard the best of the Boss.

Ghosts_on_TV

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qM6TuZ6lSWI

At first I thought this youtube was of this song,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NltljcANCFs&feature=related,

probably my favorite Bruce song ever (the intro to that youtube was this song).  The problem a lot of people have with Bruce, in my opinion, is that they've heard mostly his popular stuff.  I mean some of it is great like Born to Run and Thunder Road, but a lot of people know Bruce for stuff like Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, and Caddilac Ranch.  If you have listened to The Wild, The Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, or Nebraska and still dislike him, well then you just dislike him.  But if you haven't listened to these albums then you haven't heard the best of the Boss.

I agree. But don't forget Greetings....
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Penny Lane

i am torn about the boss. i like a couple early albums but since moving to jersey, i've come to dislike him more BECAUSE it gets forced down your throat. he can do no wrong around here and chode is right, the other jersey acts get ignored. weird.

last night's show was cheesy, sorry but it was. but it's the superbowl, not NYE at MSG, whatta ya want? LOL
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ycartrob

Springsteen's music is part of the soundtrack of my life.

KY, who cares? I mean, it's OK if his music doesn't appeal to you; ALL music doesn't appeal to everyone.

Should I roll out my brother in law (again), the jazz pianist, who now has released 10 CDs, who thinks my Morning Jacket sux? Do you want him to write you a letter explaining to you how novice they are with their cord progressions? Do you want me to get him to tell you how small your mind is when it comes to grasping music and how he can play any MMJ song after about 2 listens?

Or, do you want to become enlightened to the fact that not all music speaks to everyone on the same level and perhaps you should just respect other people's tastes and differences?

think about it