Tell Me Springsteen Sucks...

Started by KY_Kid, Feb 01, 2009, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI just kind of remembered I think I actually saw a Springsteen show around 2000 or so, but totally forgot about it. I remember it being fairly entertaining, but not much else, and I wasnt drunk because I was 16 and with my pops.

I think the energy of shows and NJ/NY fanaticism is a big reason why he's 'the Boss'. That and probably most music in the late 70's/80's mostly sucked. He definitely had that going for him

There was a lot of good music in the late 70's/ early 80's.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

QuoteI just kind of remembered I think I actually saw a Springsteen show around 2000 or so, but totally forgot about it. I remember it being fairly entertaining, but not much else, and I wasnt drunk because I was 16 and with my pops.

I think the energy of shows and NJ/NY fanaticism is a big reason why he's 'the Boss'. That and probably most music in the late 70's/80's mostly sucked. He definitely had that going for him

Like....
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCVHAjTBb1U

capt. scotty

Talking Heads are honestly the only band whose prime/started from 76-85 I listen to fairly often.

I figured Joy Division would be a given, as would The Police, The Cure, The Smiths, and maybe another band or 2.

Outiside of that, not so sure there was too much good music in that period. And certainly, none of them had a throwback sound like Springsteen.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteTalking Heads are honestly the only band whose prime/started from 76-85 I listen to.

I figured Joy Division would be a given, as would The Cure, The Smiths, and maybe another band or 2.

Outiside of that, not so sure there was too much good music in that period. And certainly, none of them had a throwback sound like Springsteen.

Ha. Beat me to it. Watch those videos though.

capt. scotty

Whaddaya know, 1 of the 5 givens I figured would come up  :D

red

QuoteTalking Heads are honestly the only band whose prime/started from 76-85 I listen to fairly often.

I figured Joy Division would be a given, as would The Police, The Cure, The Smiths, and maybe another band or 2.

Dude, you've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do.   ;)

capt. scotty

QuoteTalking Heads are honestly the only band whose prime/started from 76-85 I listen to fairly often.

Dude, you've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do.   :)

You could be right

The main era of music I listen to from pre-birth is certainly not 77-87

Ghosts_on_TV

red

QuoteYou could be right

I'm a huge Talking Heads fan, but this album is better than any of their releases.  Jaimoe will back me in saying it's a masterpiece (and he'd recommend 'Adventure' too)

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteYou could be right

I'm a huge Talking Heads fan, but this album is better than any of their releases.  Jaimoe will back me in saying it's a masterpiece (and he'd recommend 'Adventure' too)

Marquee Moon is awesome, but I personally don't think it's better than Remain in Light. That album is just too perfect. ANd to think it came out in 1980!?!

Ghosts_on_TV

I remember when I was younger I had the best idea...to start a band that was like a punk/jamband hybrid, at the time I was thinking like, wow, no one has ever done that before, how fucking awesome would that be...and then I heard Television. Only had me beat by like 25 years. Ha.

capt. scotty

I own Marquee Moon, so I have that taken care of.

Dont think Ive listened to it in about 3-4 years though  ::)

red

QuoteMarquee Moon is awesome, but I personally don't think it's better than Remain in Light. That album is just too perfect. ANd to think it came out in 1980!?!
Yeah, I think MM and RiL are pretty much a toss up.  Tonight I went with MM, tomorrow I'd probably say RiL.  "The Overload" man.  Damn.  

capt. scotty

QuoteYou could be right

Marquee Moon is awesome, but I personally don't think it's better than Remain in Light. That album is just too perfect. ANd to think it came out in 1980!?!

I agree Remain In Light is definitely better than MM.

I also think Fear of Music is. Id probably say '77 and More Songs About Buildings and Food are better too, but that probably gets to favoritism.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteYou could be right

I agree Remain In Light is definitely better than MM.

I also think Fear of Music is. Id probably say '77 and More Songs About Buildings and Food are better too, but that probably gets to favoritism.

Yeah, Fear of Music and RiL are my two favorite heads albums. RiL wins in that situation though. Thats one of my favorite albums ever.

ycartrob

heady, I don't know if you've ever heard of The Clash or The Replacements or Husker Du or The Pixies or The Police or REM or Pylon or Flat Duo Jets or Stevie Ray Vaughan or Metallica or Black Flag or X or The Pretenders or New Order or Violent Femes or Camper Van Beethoven or The Cult (to name a few), but I suggest you check them out.

You should stop writing silly little statements like the one above and expand your musical horizons.

red

Hey Tracy, what are good X and Pretenders albums to get start with?  Man I love that Pylon record ('Gyrate').

ycartrob

QuoteHey Tracy, what are good X and Pretenders albums to get start with?  Man I love that Pylon record ('Gyrate').

I think X would be either Los Angeles or Under the Big Black Sun

Pretenders would be either of the first 2 (even though Learning to Crawl is a classic pop music album, I love)