Brian Eno talks about music and airports

Started by ycartrob, Feb 28, 2007, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteAmbient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror with currently my fav of all the Brian Eno CDs that I bought recently. Can anyone recommend some Harold Budd? Tracy?
I only have this & his OST for Mysterious Skin. I love them both & need some more.

I'm not down with Harold Budd knowledge...

dragonboy

QuoteAmbient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror with currently my fav of all the Brian Eno CDs that I bought recently. Can anyone recommend some Harold Budd? Tracy?
I only have this & his OST for Mysterious Skin. I love them both & need some more.

I'm not down with Harold Budd knowledge...
Thanks anyway, I shall have to do some research  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

fitzcarraldo

Hey DB! Check out The Pearl. Very purty.

tk

dragonboy

Thanks TK - consider it bought!  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

I picked up Music for Airports on Tuesday and am becoming obsessed.  The first track is just astounding.  

I absolutely love the quote inside the jacket; something like "ambient music must be as ignorable as it is interesting".  

Can't wait until those other two albums of his that I ordered arrive.

ratsprayer

Can't wait until those other two albums of his that I ordered arrive.

you are seriously in for one of the best treats of your life.  i'm jealous.  

red

Ambient 1 has become a fixture in my CD player, and I've now got the hunger for more.  Is Ambient 2 the next logical step (in the ambient direction)?

This is what my Eno collection consists of: Ambient 1, Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy), Before and After Science, and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.  I ordered Here Come the Warm Jets and Another Green World a long time ago, but they never came.   :-/

"1/1" is my homework jam.

red

Quotein other eno likings, the robert fripp solo on 'Baby's on Fire' is one of my favourite things ever.  maybe even fripp's best solo ever.
Just listened to this on YouTube for the first time ever and had my mind expanded.   :o

ycartrob

ycartrob

Quotein other eno likings, the robert fripp solo on 'Baby's on Fire' is one of my favourite things ever.  maybe even fripp's best solo ever.
Just listened to this on YouTube for the first time ever and had my mind expanded.   :o

good ol ratsprayer; wonder how Dave's doing.

red

QuoteBuilt to Spill pulled out this great Eno cover last tour...
I still hate myself for not going to see them when they came here a year or two ago.  They played that cover, too.

Have you any ambient advice for me (re: my post before the one about the brilliance of "Baby's on Fire")?  If not, I'll conclude you're slipping into Capt. Headdy territory, and urge you to step up your game.

I miss Rats, too.  Here's hoping he's doing great.  

ycartrob

QuoteBuilt to Spill pulled out this great Eno cover last tour...
I still hate myself for not going to see them when they came here a year or two ago.  They played that cover, too.

Have you any ambient advice for me (re: my post before the one about the brilliance of "Baby's on Fire")?  If not, I'll conclude you're slipping into Capt. Headdy territory, and urge you to step up your game.

I miss Rats, too.  Here's hoping he's doing great.  

I finally embraced On Land (I actually e-mailed Dave to let him know about a year ago) and I totally dig it.

Thursday Afternoons is amazing; 1 song, 1 hour.

Old school early Frippatronics; Eno/Fripp's Evening Star. The last track An Index of Metals is "high terror electronics".

Apollo Atmospheres is pretty great, too; Eno was hired to create music for a film documenting the Apollo moon missions. So, it's, of course, spacy.

If you're into the ambient, a couple of new finds for me have been>

Boast & Rothe - Quiet Latitudes  (the song Svalbard is a 38 minute treat on a very intentional acoustic giutar melody).

Then there's Stars of the Lid and Ken Borghi

ycartrob

2/2 is my doorway into meditation

red

Very cool.  And thanks for the words.  Apollo Atmospheres sounds like where my head is at these days.  On the other hand, maybe I'm ready to embrace my "pre-evolutionary reptile-like self?"

I'm spinning Taking Tiger Mountain right now.  Has a typewriter ever been incorporated into song better than in "China My China?"  The beginning of Grinderman's "No Pussy Blues," maybe, but it's a close race.

ycartrob

Very cool.  And thanks for the words.  Apollo Atmospheres sounds like where my head is at these days.  On the other hand, maybe I'm ready to embrace my "pre-evolutionary reptile-like self?"

I'm spinning Taking Tiger Mountain right now.  Has a typewriter ever been incorporated into song better than in "China My China?"  The beginning of Grinderman's "No Pussy Blues," maybe, but it's a close race.

yeah, Eno has got so much going on in those early albums that it sort of overwhelms me a bit.

Also, Wrong Way Up with John Cale is a must (a pop/rock record)

red

QuoteAlso, Wrong Way Up with John Cale is a must (a pop/rock record)
Wow, I had no idea they worked together.  Love John Cale.

I can't believe how prolific Brian Eno is.  Especially the variety of his catalog.  

This song (and Roxy Music's For Your Pleasure) was my first introduction to his genious:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzTKojybU4[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDzTKojybU4

fitzcarraldo