What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

eddie vedder last night.   Lots of fun.   Bruins game seven made it a lively vibe in the house (with EV providing score updates throughout the night).   Great songs, sounded great, and he's always entertaining to just listen to tell stories.   It could have gone 4 hours and I'd have been happy.

Eweezy

The Avett Brothers @ Sunfest in West Palm Beach on 4-27-11
My Chemical Romance @ House of Blues Orlando 5-18-11
Deftones @ Sunset Cove in Boca Raton, Fl on 5-22-11
Yikes!

FiddleCastro

Ben Sollee at Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight, great show  :)
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

nuggets

Packed house for Pulse last night. Hard to keep the vid steady with the whole place bouncing. People were even gigging while standing in line for beer. Great show.

King James Version
Steel Pulse 6/30/11 Hampton Beach, NH
Oh shit, run!

Eweezy

Taking Back Sunday last night @ Revolution in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Great show, great energy, and great to see the original lineup back, again.
Yikes!

Sidus

Twilight Singers some weeks ago. Was my first Greg Dulli experience. He was much more a party person than I thought he would be. Most songs of them are not that positive or something ;). Good, energetic show, tempo was very high! Setlist of ~100 minutes or something, played a lot of new material and some covers I can't remind (should have taken a setlist, but I was too late) :-X. Unfortunately no Mark Lanegan appearance as I hoped for (he's also in Europe) ;)

ManNamedTruth

311 and Sublime with Rome last night at Stage AE. Mainly went for nostalgic purposes, and because many of my friends were going. Solid show, chilled on the lawn all night. Rome sounds a lot like Brad.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 13, 2011, 03:52 PM
311 and Sublime with Rome last night at Stage AE. Mainly went for nostalgic purposes, and because many of my friends were going. Solid show, chilled on the lawn all night. Rome sounds a lot like Brad.

Im not currently in the Burgh, otherwise I may have attended despite the $50+ tickets and thinking 311 was mediocre the 1 time I had seen them. Mostly wanted to go to see Sublime, and Rome definitely sounds a lot like Bradley, much moreso than any other replacement like Alice In Chains and another band I cant think of at the moment.

I also looked at whats coming to the Burgh yesterday and couldnt believe there wasnt 1 show that interested me until MMJ a month from now.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 14, 2011, 08:08 PM

Im not currently in the Burgh, otherwise I may have attended despite the $50+ tickets and thinking 311 was mediocre the 1 time I had seen them. Mostly wanted to go to see Sublime, and Rome definitely sounds a lot like Bradley, much moreso than any other replacement like Alice In Chains and another band I cant think of at the moment.

I also looked at whats coming to the Burgh yesterday and couldnt believe there wasnt 1 show that interested me until MMJ a month from now.

Tix were $47 after fees. 311 was better the other time i saw them but that was way back in 2003. They played way too many of their hits this time around and could've varied it a bit. Yeah thought there'd at least be a few more Stage AE shows or something but kinda dissapointed with that outside of MMJ. I'm going to see Black Francis of the Pixies play solo at tiny Club Cafe next week.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 14, 2011, 09:03 PM

Tix were $47 after fees. 311 was better the other time i saw them but that was way back in 2003. They played way too many of their hits this time around and could've varied it a bit. Yeah thought there'd at least be a few more Stage AE shows or something but kinda dissapointed with that outside of MMJ. I'm going to see Black Francis of the Pixies play solo at tiny Club Cafe next week.

Whenever I first saw the show, I couldve swore tix were $45+fees, but either way, $55 or $47 is a lot of loot for 2 bands past their prime, playing on name recognition, and not from the 70's

How was Sublime?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

weeniebeenie

Alexander Gow and Dan Sultan at The Basement. They're both from Melbourne (I think).
Good stuff. We left after Alex's set though.
How loud can silence get?

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 14, 2011, 10:16 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jul 14, 2011, 09:03 PM

Whenever I first saw the show, I couldve swore tix were $45+fees, but either way, $55 or $47 is a lot of loot for 2 bands past their prime, playing on name recognition, and not from the 70's

How was Sublime?

I thought they sounded pretty good, Rome messed up the lyrics once but sounded good. The crowd was into it, I think they were there more for Sublime than 311.

IHL

Saw Jonathan Wilson with Dawes at the Borderline (London) last night.

Dawes opend but were also JW's band for his set.

Jackson Browne came on for the last part of the show and the place went crazy.

Dawes get better each time I see them and JW is well worth checking out - debut album 'Gentle Spirit' out next month. Jackson Browne, well, just amazing... 

dragonboy

Quote from: IHL on Jul 21, 2011, 12:41 PM

Saw Jonathan Wilson with Dawes at the Borderline (London) last night.

Dawes opend but were also JW's band for his set.

Jackson Browne came on for the last part of the show and the place went crazy.

Dawes get better each time I see them and JW is well worth checking out - debut album 'Gentle Spirit' out next month. Jackson Browne, well, just amazing...
F*ck, I was going to go to that!

Just saw Willy & Dan from Richmond Fontaine perform a painfully short 30min set previewing songs from their new album due Sept 5th. We got front row seats & got to meet both of the guys & the whole thing was just about perfect (except for the length of the set)
Can't wait to see them again performing Post To Wire & the new album in their entirety in Sept & another regular show in Oct.
I'm reading Lean On Pete right now & have been listening to We Used To Think...a lot. If Richmond Fontaine weren't my current fav band they sure as hell are now after last night  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

IHL

Thought Willy was kinda nervous last night although he relaxed when he introduced the film and spoke about the Pacific NW and his hometown o/s of Portland. Interestingly, much of 'Blue Vevet' was shot on location in North Carolina. Dodgy opening vid though (sorry).

ManNamedTruth

Saw Black Francis tonight. I didn't really know what to expect from a solo show from him, but turned out decent. I've only had a small amount of time to listen to his solo stuff witch I wasn't familiar with. He had just one other person playing with him, who switched from bass and keyboard. I was surprised that he didn't play anything on an acoustic guitar, witch I think would've worked better. The keyboard/guitar combo worked better than the bass. Hopefully I get to see the Pixies one day, because judging by their live DVD from 2004 this show doesn't touch a Pixies show.

Don't know the set list, but he played these Pixies songs:
Cactus
Nimrod's Son
Planet Of Sound
Where is My Mind?

Notable solo songs that I recognized:
Los Angeles
I Heard Ramona Sing
I Want To Live on an Abstract Plain
The Black Rider (best performance of the set)

dragonboy

Mogwai were quite simply mind blowing again last night! Their gig in Feburary was one of the best I've ever been to & I told myself afterwards that I had to see them again as soon as possible anyway I could so winning tickets to see the itunes festival was an unbelievable piece of luck. Mogwai fear Satan brought tears to my eyes again & hearing New Paths To Helicon live for the first time was amazing.

Mogwai: New Paths To Helicon part 1

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mogwai/2011/roundhouse-london-england-73d0b2ed.html
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjk73

Quote from: dragonboy on Jul 24, 2011, 05:51 AM
Mogwai were quite simply mind blowing again last night! Their gig in Feburary was one of the best I've ever been to & I told myself afterwards that I had to see them again as soon as possible anyway I could so winning tickets to see the itunes festival was an unbelievable piece of luck. Mogwai fear Satan brought tears to my eyes again & hearing New Paths To Helicon live for the first time was amazing.

Mogwai: New Paths To Helicon part 1

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mogwai/2011/roundhouse-london-england-73d0b2ed.html
Quite dissapointed that I didn't get to see them when they toured the US a few months ago. The closest they came was actually my home town. Alas, couldn't make it happen.

capt. scotty

saw Tedeschi Trucks Band on Saturday...I mean, what can I say. Susan T has some of the best pipes on the planet, and Derek Trucks is probably the greatest living guitarist inhabiting earth. His sound is so clean, yet so smooth. Nice set, with some great cover choices - Ive Got A Feeling, Manic Depression, Sing A Simple Song > I Wanna Take You Higher, and probably a couple more Im forgetting.

First time seeing Trucks not playing with the Allmans. Dude is just so good its crazy, and when he's not within the constraints of Elizabeth Reed or Statesboro Blues, you can see how great he really is.

lucylew

Steve Miller Band with Dave Mason opening - at Lake Tahoe.  A summer evening doesn't get much better than this.