Main Menu

Phish

Started by capt. scotty, Dec 24, 2010, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

set the gearshifts of your soul to jam mode
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

walterfredo

ALady

Yeah.

That looks like fun.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

I liked Phish from the early '90s through to the beginning of the middle of the last decade. But I've lost interest in them nowadays and rarely if ever want to listen to their classic stuff. I never thought they were a "phase band", but I think they are one for me. I wish them well though, but I think most of the magic is gone.

wolof7

I hear ya Jaimoe, they are no longer a priority for me. I still have 3 friends who I was deep into the travelling phish circuit with who still chide and berate me for not attending shows anymore. However, I have began to feel like those friends are idiots who cling onto this one band and are ignorant to any musical suggestion beyond Phish, i.e. MMJ.

I bet I would still enjoy the shows if I went (last one was 2 yrs ago and it was good) but I find I really need to be in the mood to listen to and enjoy the novelty of songs like Meatstick,  Gotta Jibboo or Run Like an Antelope anymore. I started losing my obsessive love with them after the awfulness of Coventry and our 38hr traffic wait and 12 mile walk into the gates. It's kinda sad bc that's what I used to live for (pre-MMJ).

Plus I don't care what any fan says, their studio output is pretty pitiful. I tried listening to that last one which, like all other releases, have some enjoyable songs I'd rather hear live, or utter crap. imho

Don't mean to sound like a hater(I'm not), but I'm really sick of my Phish friends telling me listening to anything beyond Phish is pointless. I definitely give them credit for being a better band than most people like to pigeonhole them as
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

walterfredo

I've never been a fan of any of their studio stuff but still really enjoy seeing them live.  Things were getting pretty bad musically in 04 before they called it off.  Coventry was an embarrassment.  I think I've seen about 25 shows in 09-10 and have really enjoyed myself at all of them.  But...I keep my expectations in check, I think that's essential.  Nothing will be like the summer of 1998 for me.  (but I don't expect them to be).

I won't be at this festival....instead I'll be frolicking in the trees at High Sierra listening to MMJ, Ween, and others that weekend. 

Jaimoe

I think they are a good, if not erratic, studio band. I like some of their albums, or used to, quite a bit. Their early stuff meanders too much (eg. A Picture of Nectar), but I think Billy Breathes and Farmhouse are excellent. I'm no fan of their last three efforts, Round Room, Undermind or Joy. Regardless, I still won't be slapping BB or Farmhouse on while I work out or host a party. I'm also tiring fast of all second/third generation jam bands such as Phish, moe. (I actually think they suck), Gov't Mule (which pains me since I'm still a staunch Allmans fan), Galactic (see moe.), Umphrey's McGee etc... I'll never tire of the ABB or Dead though.

jones

I disliked Phish before Vermont was a state and Burlington had ice cream.

Can we pull the old thread back?!

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

ALady

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 31, 2011, 11:07 PM

For serious...   ;D

Yay Phish!  Announce the Alpine dates, please! 

I'd like to do Super Ball just because I've never done one of their fests.  But we'll see.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Jaimoe on Mar 31, 2011, 10:52 PM
I think they are a good, if not erratic, studio band. I like some of their albums, or used to, quite a bit. Their early stuff meanders too much (eg. A Picture of Nectar), but I think Billy Breathes and Farmhouse are excellent. I'm no fan of their last three efforts, Round Room, Undermind or Joy. Regardless, I still won't be slapping BB or Farmhouse on while I work out or host a party. I'm also tiring fast of all second/third generation jam bands such as Phish, moe. (I actually think they suck), Gov't Mule (which pains me since I'm still a staunch Allmans fan), Galactic (see moe.), Umphrey's McGee etc... I'll never tire of the ABB or Dead though.

I don't think of Galactic as a jam band, and at least they do something different on every album. Great live band too!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: walterfredo on Mar 31, 2011, 04:05 PM
I've never been a fan of any of their studio stuff but still really enjoy seeing them live.  Things were getting pretty bad musically in 04 before they called it off.  Coventry was an embarrassment.  I think I've seen about 25 shows in 09-10 and have really enjoyed myself at all of them.  But...I keep my expectations in check, I think that's essential.  Nothing will be like the summer of 1998 for me.  (but I don't expect them to be).

I have similar feelings but haven't had an opportunity to see them, only their solo incarnations at festival.  which were all really fun, gordo killed it w/the duo at bonnaroo in 05.  it was the best set of the festival in my opinion that year.   thankfully I finally get a chance to see them at DTE this year.  I was too young to understand what they were doing and then when I figured it out they lost their souls to heroin and broke up.  not until phish 3.0 do I get to see them.  Listening to the tapes from 94-98 and then listening to the 03ish stuff, it's night and day really.  unrehearsed, drugged out bullshit.  so many flubs.  I'm glad they seem to have a bit of new life in them.  a bit of clarity or something. 

I'll give the haters the fact that some of their lyrics are flat out retarded but musically all four of them are INSANE at what they do.  Not to mention they can emulate any style perfectly on the fly.  they're a force to be reckoned with.  but I agree with you Jaime about all the derivative phish wanna be bands.   those bands usually only have one solid musician in them unlike phish or the dead who is solid all around.  that's the difference I see.. and the fact that the phish and grateful dead do not suck at music. 

I hear the DTE show is on Mike's Birthday, truly have no idea what to expect.  Get to go with some really great friends too who actually know the band well, it'll be a good time without a doubt.  hope everybody has fun this tour.

and for the record Fishman as a founding father is fucking hilarious.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 02, 2011, 12:24 AM
unlike phish or the dead who is solid all around.  that's the difference I see.. and the fact that the phish and grateful dead do not suck at music. 

This is where a lot of the "hate" comes from: people comparing phish with the dead, or saying phish in the same sentence with the dead. phish isn't in the same league with the dead. neither is widespread panic, who I don't really like either, but I do like better than phish.

argue all day until the cows come home about your favorite hippy-dead-wannabe-jam- band, but please, for the love of god, leave the grateful dead out of that discussion.

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 02, 2011, 12:45 AM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 02, 2011, 12:24 AM
unlike phish or the dead who is solid all around.  that's the difference I see.. and the fact that the phish and grateful dead do not suck at music. 

This is where a lot of the "hate" comes from: people comparing phish with the dead, or saying phish in the same sentence with the dead. phish isn't in the same league with the dead. neither is widespread panic, who I don't really like either, but I do like better than phish.

argue all day until the cows come home about your favorite hippy-dead-wannabe-jam- band, but please, for the love of god, leave the grateful dead out of that discussion.

I fucking hate widespread panic. 

here's what I'll say

The Grateful Dead w/Jerry >> Phish
Phish > The Dead w/o Jerry

I've seen the dead, rat dog, and phil lesh and friends a couple times and to me it felt nostalgic at best.  depending on the line up, the shows the members of the dead put out these days are not only predictable but kinda boring.  maybe that's just me and my love of distortion guitar and pages outrageous piano skill. 

jones

Quote from: ALady on Apr 01, 2011, 05:19 PM
Quote from: flyguy on Mar 31, 2011, 11:07 PM

For serious...   ;D

Yay Phish!  Announce the Alpine dates, please! 

I'd like to do Super Ball just because I've never done one of their fests.  But we'll see.
Yes on the Alpine dates (since Deer Creek will be right before)!

Watch out how you throw that Super Ball term around:
http://www.jambands.com/news/2011/04/01/vivid-entertainment-sues-phish-for-trademark-infringement-over-super-ball-ix/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d9643d95c492353%2C0

Jaimoe

I totally forgot to include Widespread Panic into jambands I can't stand. Boring boring boring, even with Jimmy Herring.

As for Galactic, I've seen them 3 times live and each time was a borefest. I'm getting rid of the albums I own at a local music store, for free.

johnnYYac

I'm not sure why, but I've never seen Phish live, in person, via video, even audio recordings.  I own one Phish album, Joy, which I haven't listened to much.  I just can't get excited about 'em.  Sounds like many of you would say I lack proper experience or exposure to their music, especially having not seen them on stage.  Fair enough.  I wouldn't say no if they showed up locally and it was convenient, but I haven't caught the Phish bug. :-\
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 02, 2011, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure why, but I've never seen Phish live, in person, via video, even audio recordings.  I own one Phish album, Joy, which I haven't listened to much.  I just can't get excited about 'em.  Sounds like many of you would say I lack proper experience or exposure to their music, especially having not seen them on stage.  Fair enough.  I wouldn't say no if they showed up locally and it was convenient, but I haven't caught the Phish bug. :-\

joy blows in my opinion. 

Phish - October 20, 1998 - Story of the Ghost

jones

I won't try and talk anyone into liking Phish, but starting with the most recent albums is definitely the wrong approach.  If I had heard any of their last five releases prior to anything earlier I would have run the other way.  I don't listen to any studio stuff after Farmhouse (and it's borderline for me).

It seems more logical to start a new thread about how and why people don't like this band.