Crate Diggin' Redux

Started by Ruckus, Jan 09, 2011, 12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

I hate to restart this thread with Das Racist, a group that rejects all convention of what I grew up on and deem to be hip hop.  Random ironic lyrics, smarm, name droppin' for the sake of name droppin', no soul, no heart, hipster hop.  Think I'm hatin' too much.  Well damn if I dig these guys.  Sick production and clever flow keeps me ignoring the fad that they are and I keep listening to Sit Down Man.

Going to see them on Thursday hipster hoppin'.  Fuck it.  I'm gonna be waving em like I just don't care by myself.  Call and response.  Peace.

Das Racist - Chicken And Meat [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO]

Das Racist - Ek Shaneesh [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO]
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2011, 12:16 PM
I hate to restart this thread with Das Racist, a group that rejects all convention of what I grew up on and deem to be hip hop.  Random ironic lyrics, smarm, name droppin' for the sake of name droppin', no soul, no heart, hipster hop.  Think I'm hatin' too much.  Well damn if I dig these guys.  Sick production and clever flow keeps me ignoring the fad that they are and I keep listening to Sit Down Man.

Going to see them on Thursday hipster hoppin'.  Fuck it.  I'm gonna be waving em like I just don't care by myself.  Call and response.  Peace.

2nd video is off the hook

The rich poor brandy
What do the poor pour?
Why we at the candy store for?
Why we at the Mandy Moore tour?
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 09, 2011, 12:25 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 09, 2011, 12:16 PM

2nd video is off the hook

The rich poor brandy
What do the poor pour?
Why we at the candy store for?
Why we at the Mandy Moore tour?

It is funny.  If you're interested, they don't have an official album release but both their big mixtapes, Shut Up Dude and Sit Down Man are available for free download at your local interweb.

capt. scotty

What Ive heard of Kweli's new album is bomb, better than Eardrum which I thought was a great comeback album for him (althought Right About Now was much better than Beautiful Struggle as well but not considered an official release).

Looking at Wikipedia, he has 9 mixtapes in the last 5 years...Where does one get these at??
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 27, 2011, 07:29 PM
What Ive heard of Kweli's new album is bomb, better than Eardrum which I thought was a great comeback album for him (althought Right About Now was much better than Beautiful Struggle as well but not considered an official release).

Looking at Wikipedia, he has 9 mixtapes in the last 5 years...Where does one get these at??
If you just search for the names of the mixtapes, they pop up no problem.

Dude, I had no idea Gutter Rainbows was a whole new album.  Quite the quick turnaround after the last Reflection Eternal.  Gonna have to check this one out.  It's been quite a while since I was blown away by Kweli.

Shall see

Ruckus

I've listened to Gutter Rainbows a few times now and it's just sitting in neutral.  I wanna love Kweli so much but it's just not what it used to be for me.  Maybe it has to do with the numerous different producers but the album never seems to flow from track to track.  Still a very good album that will remain in rotation.  I just need to clean out about 4 or 5 tracks from it and I think I'll enjoy it more.  Well my love for Jean Grae is validated on this track for sure!  The last woman I met that made me straight blush  :-*

Talib Kweli - Uh Oh (feat. Jean Grae) (produced by Oh No) (2011)

dragonboy

Hello everybody, recording live from somewhere...(I gotz mine!)

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ruckus

Quote from: dragonboy on Mar 07, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hello everybody, recording live from somewhere...(I gotz mine!)

8). That's sick right there.  Man, Kweli is down here performing at least twice a year but I need a Black Star show!  What a great card!

Speaking of stars, I was surprised to hear that Binary Star was performing at SXSW.  I thought they were done.  I don't know if they had already reunited or if this is a one off thing.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
Speaking of stars, I was surprised to hear that Binary Star was performing at SXSW.  I thought they were done.  I don't know if they had already reunited or if this is a one off thing.

I havent kept up with news too much in the last year or so, but theyve definitely played a dozen or so shows since Senim Silla got out of jail and released his solo album.

Funny you bring up Binary Star, because I just finished up a best of the 00's album draft on aonther site last week, and somebody sniped me on Masters of the Universe in the 21st round.  >:(....Its still arguably my favorite hip hop album
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

In other news, RIP Nate Dogg. Next stop is the Eastside Moteeeeelll  :beer:

regulate warren g featuring nate dogg

Ruckus

Since I just posted this in another thread, the new Pharoahe Monch is SICK!  Check it out and I hope I'm not alive in 2023. ;)

The beats and the guests are great (check Vernon Reids extended solo on W.A.R.) but in the end its all Monch.  His lyrics, flow, and rhymes...mmm... the trifecta 8)

capt. scotty

I mentioned Earl Sweatshirt in some thread around here, but I just want to bring him up again because another Odd Future crew rapper is releasing an album soon, Tyler the Creator...Most of the DITC crew in the forum probably wont dig them I have a feeling, but they have a bit of Gravediggaz vibe combined with mainstream sensitive beats and a dash of "I dont give a fuck if u dont like my style"...I'll always love old school hip hop the most, but I'll be damned if this crew doesnt grab my attention and make me want to hear what they say next. They interest me much more that anything Ive heard out of rap recently....I hear Mos Def gives them the thumps up as well, which kind of surprises me.

Earl Sweatshirt - EARL

Tyler The Creator - Yonkers

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

The new Jay-Z & Kanye single (I believe the whole album is a collabo) is the best mainstream song Ive heard in awhile. Youtube seems to be hardcore shutting down this song, but this link is good for now at least

Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis (Ft Otis Redding)

dragonboy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 22, 2011, 10:49 PM
The new Jay-Z & Kanye single (I believe the whole album is a collabo) is the best mainstream song Ive heard in awhile. Youtube seems to be hardcore shutting down this song, but this link is good for now at least

Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis (Ft Otis Redding)
Excellent Otis sample!

Can't get enough of this classic right now...

The Pharcyde - Runnin'

capt. scotty

I'll admit, but embarassed to say, I dont have any Pharcyde (although what do they have, 2 albums?)...like everything Ive heard, just when I was in hip hop heaven a few years ago, I had to prioritize.

Now, I need to get me some Pharcyde.

Ruckus

I'm listening to the new Swollen Members album, Monsters II (love you spotify), and it is pretty solid.  If it continues this way, it might overtake Pharoahe Monche as my favorite hip hop album of the year.  I think there are couple of rereleases mixed with new tracks.

Here's a brief review
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.1729/title.swollen-members-monsters-ii

and there aren't too many tracks up on the tube yet but here is a track with Souls of Mischief off the new one
Swollen Members - Mean Streets ft. Souls of Mischief

dragonboy

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Aug 04, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm listening to the new Swollen Members album, Monsters II (love you spotify), and it is pretty solid.  If it continues this way, it might overtake Pharoahe Monche as my favorite hip hop album of the year.  I think there are couple of rereleases mixed with new tracks.

Here's a brief review
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.1729/title.swollen-members-monsters-ii

and there aren't too many tracks up on the tube yet but here is a track with Souls of Mischief off the new one
Swollen Members - Mean Streets ft. Souls of Mischief

Like the song you posted, will have to look further. Man, I havent thought about these guys for awhile, theyve definitely improved. Loved this song backinna day

Swollen members - Fuel injected

Any other hip hop recommendations Ruckus or DB?? Ive really slacked on looking for hip hop the last couple years.

capt. scotty

I did listen to the new Wu-Tang album a couple times. Suprisingly good album although short. Has a surprising amount of guest appearances for Wu, but they chose well - AZ, MOP, Sean Price, Roc Marciano, Termanology, etc. Ghostface kills his verses, but my boy GZA isnt on the album at all  :o

Wu-Tang Clan - 06 - Legendary Weapons (Ghostface, AZ, M.O.P.) [HD] (2011)

2. Wu Tang Clan Laced Cheeba (ft Ghostface, Sean Price, and Trife Diesel) - Legendary Weapons