What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedgin

Found a stash of The New Lost City Ramblers LPs, so I bought 'em all!

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

I work with a guy named Ben Nichols, wonder if it's THE Ben Nichols  ;)  Seriously, never heard of him though.  But I do like the cover.  Will investigate.

Edit:  Purchased.

Edit 2:  I just have to say that every time I play this, I'm going to think of this Ben Nichols guy that I work with.  He's a character:

1)  He golfs like Happy Gilmore:  as in, he steps into his golf swing.  He seriously thinks he golfs better this way (he doesn't)

2)  He played football in 8th grade, and from this experience alone, he thinks he could honestly be an NFL player, because he has "good hands" and his "size is comparable to Hines Ward" (false).  I mentioned that NFL players are almost always blazingly fast, especially at the receiver position, and he thought he could overcome this by precise route running (he couldn't).   ::)
We could.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Hawkeye on Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
I work with a guy named Ben Nichols, wonder if it's THE Ben Nichols  ;)  Seriously, never heard of him though.  But I do like the cover.  Will investigate.

He's the frontman and songwriter for Lucero. He wrote that book based on the Cormac McCarthy novel Blood Meridian. Each song is a different character..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
I got Cortney Tidwell's Stars EP on vinyl, which I figure is a hell of a find, and I got this out-of-print gem from GEMM:

I think it probably is an epic find. I love it when I come across something that hard to find.  :thumbsup:

Also, I just want to mention that even though I have THE CRAPPIEST record player (and it is a record player, not a turntable) the sound from that thing is still so much better than when I listen to mp3s. If anyone is interested, I'm currently listening at school on a portable record player from the 1950's that has shorts in the volume knob and sometimes the turntable quits turning for no apparent reason. It was covered in dust when I dug it out of a book storage room. I really need to purchase a real turntable for home. I just really need one less thing to spend money on and right now that turntable it is.

jones

This arrived yesterday and the fidelity is pretty darn good:

ManNamedTruth

record store day reissue, I've been eyeing it up for awhile and finally gave in.

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

johnnYYac

Truth, that George Harrison box is one of my favorite vinyl purchases.

More recently...

I could not resist (photo courtesy of jones)

pre-ordered reissue, due May 5

pre-ordered new album, out April 10

I'm holding out on the New Multitudes vinyl, thinking I might buy it at their show and try to get it signed.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ManNamedTruth

Listening now, it sounds awesome!

woodnymph

Hey True!  I just got that box set down here in Asheville a few weeks ago!!  Poster and all!  Want to frame it now  :)  Good find!!   :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 27, 2012, 11:18 PM
Hey True!  I just got that box set down here in Asheville a few weeks ago!!  Poster and all!  Want to frame it now  :)  Good find!!   :thumbsup:

Well worth the $50 (most i've spent on an album yet). I need some headphones for my record player, I can hear backup vocals and stuff I haven't noticed before as it is.

blucas

I am a vinyl noob (actually a retread if you count Zeppelin and AC/DC records in the early  80's).  My son wanted the Beetlejuice dvd, so we went to a record store and I couldn't resist taking the plunge- MMJ- Circuital and the Black Angels- Phosphene Dream are now in my possession and I am very manic  :D :D.  I do however need, want, covet, must have At Dawn immediately.  A 1985 Onkyo amp will power my analog bliss but no turntable yet (will get something vintage off of Craig's List thanks to the guidance offered in the turntable thread in this here forum)...patience grasshopper...patience  :-\
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

FiddleCastro

I got this in early February:

and it came with this:

and I have also picked up these:

and finally picked up, after never actually owning it....
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

Quote from: blucas on Mar 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
I am a vinyl noob (actually a retread if you count Zeppelin and AC/DC records in the early  80's).  My son wanted the Beetlejuice dvd, so we went to a record store and I couldn't resist taking the plunge- MMJ- Circuital and the Black Angels- Phosphene Dream are now in my possession and I am very manic  :D :D.  I do however need, want, covet, must have At Dawn immediately.  A 1985 Onkyo amp will power my analog bliss but no turntable yet (will get something vintage off of Craig's List thanks to the guidance offered in the turntable thread in this here forum)...patience grasshopper...patience  :-\
PM sent.

Here's a direct link to the At Dawn reissue, slated to release on May 22, 2012.  $20 w/download code included.

Jellyfish

I bought one of the blue vinyl Acoustic Citsuoca Lp's as well.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

blucas

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Quote from: blucas on Mar 03, 2012, 03:30 PM
PM sent.

Here's a direct link to the At Dawn reissue, slated to release on May 22, 2012.  $20 w/download code included.

Moochas gracias JohnnYYac!   :dankk2:
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Ruckus

Quote from: Hawkeye on Jan 01, 2012, 04:31 PM

Have you listened to this much Hawkeye?  I listened to it right when it came out and haven't listened to it again until today.  I want to love it but I think it falls just a little short.  Still an awesome 3rd outing.   :)

EDIT:  I haven't heard their first record yet
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Hawkeye

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 05, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quote from: Hawkeye on Jan 01, 2012, 04:31 PM

Have you listened to this much Hawkeye?  I listened to it right when it came out and haven't listened to it again until today.  I want to love it but I think it falls just a little short.  Still an awesome 3rd outing.   :)

EDIT:  I haven't heard their first record yet

I've only listened to it twice so far.  Pretty much concur...like it, don't love it yet.  Might grow on me, who knows.  I like their last one better so far, but probably just because I'm more familiar with it...I'm like that.  If I can sing along and know the melody, I tend to play it more, so new records usually take a bit to catch.  Need to give it a few more spins.
We could.

johnnYYac