"Live at Preservation Hall: Louisiana Fairytale" premiere @ SXSW 2011

Started by LowdownCheatin, Feb 03, 2011, 12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

The PHB and Jim paraded up the street and into the paramount where they performed unplugged. Pretty sweet.

bluesky

EasyRyder

Quote from: Cameron on Mar 17, 2011, 03:29 PM
The PHB and Jim paraded up the street and into the paramount where they performed unplugged. Pretty sweet.

Sounds like what happened that night in NOLA!!! What a splendid re-enactment  :thumbsup: Can't wait to hear about all the details!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Cameron

I forgot my camera but there were plenty of peeps taking pics and video. They stayed and watched the movie, which is great. I shook Jim's hand and he told me he was playing with PHJB for their ACL taping tonight and leaving tomorrow morning.

Will Johnson was there too. Got to talk to him for a few minutes as well. Such a sweet guy.

EasyRyder

Did the movie show the entire performance like a typical concert film, or was it all broken up into interviews and snippets more like a documentary?

Oh and does Jim moisturize??
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Dillsnufus

note for all the fans... if you see jim james tell him to make sure they release the t5 shows! (for japan relief of course)

also  jim is there bo is there and isn't carl there?
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

logan5ive

mmj tweet:
"RT @mspark: YO MMJ fans.. if you're in austin you should, you know, head down to ACL tonight for the @PresHall set. #sxsw #surprise"
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

Dillsnufus

damn i wish i was there. make sure everyone there takes videos of this surprise. especially if it's mmj playing new songs
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

johnnYYac

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hey, there's Maggie!  :D  Hi Maggie!
Good eye!  I didn't think to look for her.  Lucky lady.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 17, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hey, there's Maggie!  :D  Hi Maggie!

i see her, too! nice! can someone forward those pics to her in text? she's asking to see them, but i don't follow the guy tweeting.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Cameron

the movie is just over an hour.  it has interviews and a few whole songs from the show (mother in law, don dante, at dawn).  there was a Q and A afterwards and they said someday a soundtrack would be released but it will be awhile.

the movie really makes you feel like you're there.

Dillsnufus

Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Cameron

johnnYYac

Cameron, thanks for the info.  I would hope if a DVD comes out, it would contain some extra footage from that show at Pres. Hall, preferably the whole thing.  Did the film only have those 3 tunes, or those plus PHJB w/YY (Louisiana Fairytale, St. James Infirmary, etc.)?  I'm thinking LF would be in as it is the title of the film.

2010-04-24 Preservation Hall - New Orleans, LA     
1 At Dawn
2. Golden
3. The Way That He Sings
4. Knot Comes Loose
5. Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
6. Dondante
7. Smokin From Shootin
8. Mother In Law (Allen Toussaint) *
9. Highly Suspicious *
10. Carnival Time (Al Johnson) *
11. Move On Up (Curtis Mayfield) *

* w/ Preservation Hall Jazz Band

ALady

Highly Suspicious was in it too, and maybe Carnival Time?  I'll confer with my friends and see if we can remember.

The film is gorgeous looking and so heartfelt.  I hope you all get to see it.  I spoke to Danny Clinch afterward and he said it would be available on DVD at some point but had no idea when.  He was incredibly gracious - it was a real thrill to meet him as I've been a fan of his work for a long time.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Erik26

Quote from: ALady on Mar 19, 2011, 01:19 AM
Highly Suspicious was in it too, and maybe Carnival Time?  I'll confer with my friends and see if we can remember.

The film is gorgeous looking and so heartfelt.  I hope you all get to see it.  I spoke to Danny Clinch afterward and he said it would be available on DVD at some point but had no idea when.  He was incredibly gracious - it was a real thrill to meet him as I've been a fan of his work for a long time.

I hope sooner rather than later. Thanks for doing some investigatory journalism!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Camp

There's a cool little interview Danny Clinch did over at http://www.ifc.com/sxsw/video/ where he says that the film currently doesn't have anyone to distribute it, but if someone does buy the film he has some great ideas about the release including a special packaged dvd with a photo book and he said he would love to release the full concert on vinyl.  Also the original idea was that someone like IFC would turn it into a series where different bands play with Preservation Hall Jazz Band at Preservation Hall.

bluesky

Thanks for posting the interview link. It was great what Danny said about Charlie the clarinet player, that guy has a lot of magnetism on stage!