Newport Folk Festival, July 30 & 31, 2011

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 28, 2011, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrB

I just made a little post to my blog, a flashback to one year ago.
My first Jacket show(ok, Yim solo), but still...............

Love the version of Wonderful Man on omnichord!

http://mysummerjacket.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/newport-2010-revisited/

Penny Lane

What a beautiful day there. Logistically, the festival is a nightmare unless everything is planned to a tee, but oh well. Got to see Delta Spirit and Felice Brothers, and heard Gillian and Dave as I sat on the pier with the beer tent (being that I'm a lush).

Highlight was the small club show last night with Deer Tick, Felice Bros sat in with them, they did a Bruce cover and a bunch of others..Delta Spirit guy showed up, too. It was incredible. Felice Bros are definitely becoming my favorite live act, (other than the obvious). Sorry Mahgeeta, you would have loved it, sorry it didn't work out for ya.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mahg33ta

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 31, 2011, 11:40 PM
What a beautiful day there. Logistically, the festival is a nightmare unless everything is planned to a tee, but oh well. Got to see Delta Spirit and Felice Brothers, and heard Gillian and Dave as I sat on the pier with the beer tent (being that I'm a lush).

Highlight was the small club show last night with Deer Tick, Felice Bros sat in with them, they did a Bruce cover and a bunch of others..Delta Spirit guy showed up, too. It was incredible. Felice Bros are definitely becoming my favorite live act, (other than the obvious). Sorry Mahgeeta, you would have loved it, sorry it didn't work out for ya.

I am having bad luck w/ shows this year.   Mrs Mahg33ta says that it's because I'm trying to do too much, which I didn't used to do.    Maybe she's right, since I actually missed two concerts on Saturday lol - (ate the Deer tick tickets)

FYI on the NPR page, they have audio archives of all of the sets (except Middle Brother - cmon already).   Of course it's hard to tell without being there, but Delta Spirit sounds like they KILLED it.   What a great band and I so wish they were opening for the Boys on the East Coast.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 01, 2011, 10:47 AM

I am having bad luck w/ shows this year.   Mrs Mahg33ta says that it's because I'm trying to do too much, which I didn't used to do.    Maybe she's right, since I actually missed two concerts on Saturday lol - (ate the Deer tick tickets)

FYI on the NPR page, they have audio archives of all of the sets (except Middle Brother - cmon already).   Of course it's hard to tell without being there, but Delta Spirit sounds like they KILLED it.   What a great band and I so wish they were opening for the Boys on the East Coast.

I was getting text messages from the club show LAST night and i guess Middle Brother, Joe Fletcher, AND M Ward were all up on stage. I guess M joined them for La Bamba. ha ha....people were crowd surfing; I guess Yim has owned Newport the past few years, gotta say that the torch was probably passed this year to this Middle Brother crew. They were everywhere.

mahg33ta

Dawes - When My Time Comes

this would have been the highlight of my weekend, I'd guess.... love that song and to See McCauley, Vasquez, and Corndawg jumping around having the fun they were so obviously having - WOW  :D :D :D

Ruckus

Truly jealous of all that got to go and I'm sorry you couldn't stay for Sunday which sounded just as amazing!  Tick and Felice Brothers have shared the same stage before right??
It's just been fun to see so many of the bands I love start gigging together.  Now with J Roddy playing with Futurebirds and Delta Spirit in Austin, I can see that being a killer touring bill for a while.  Wishful thinking!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Penny I am wondering what your assessment was of Deertick considering your former impression...sounds like MaCauley was all over the place.

Also super jealous of the tick/felice brothers/m. ward/joe fletcher combos at the Blues cafe over the weekend...wish we were there for those.

G33ta, looks like Middle Brother set has been posted!
http://www.npr.org/2011/08/01/137183988/newport-folk-2011-middle-brother-live-in-concert

Anyone catch sets by M.Ward (any new stuff?), Low Anthem, or Justin Townes Earle? These sets are not up on NPR...so excited to listen to this stuff!!! Also it's awesome Brown Bird is up on there....all should take a listen: http://www.npr.org/2011/07/31/137184250/newport-folk-2011-brown-bird-live-in-concert

Ruckus, I believe that Deertick and the Felice Bros toured together through the midwest 2 summers ago. PS I am becoming more forgiving of Celebration FL
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

wolof-you're right-they did tour together..as for my new opinion--the club show was incredible, he was really awesome, but the highlight for me were the felice brothers, their energy just blows me away...but after this, i definitely would go see Deer Tick again...i also watched a bunch of incredible mcauley youtubes tonight--i love their albums, that's why i was bummed they underachieved live...my opinion's changed completely..

i caught a short Low Anthem (surprise) set at the Kids Tent, good stuff, didn't see Brown Bird but i have their album, i really like them..

Middle Brother's set on NPR: (sorry if this is posted somewhere)
http://www.wnyc.org/npr_articles/2011/aug/01/newport-folk-2011-middle-brother-live-in-concert/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wnyc_home+%28WNYC+New+York+Public+Radio%29

oh and wolof---it took a while for Celebration FL to catch on with me...but then it just did...

mjk73

Did you catch any of Pokey LaFarge? If not, you missed out. Such an amazing band.

Ruckus

Glad both of you guys are enjoying Celebration, Fla now.  Still one of my favorite albums of the year and yes Penny, the Bros are pretty sick live.  I agree with Wolof's statement from the Felice Bros thread, still the worst album cover of the year.  I leave the vinyl out of the the cover. ;D

Here's a quiet little folk song ;)

Felice Tick/Deer Brothers - Helen Fry - End Of The Road 2010
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

bold992006

Folk fest was a great time....I thought Brown Bird's set was the breakout set/band of the festival..they got the biggest ovation I saw at the fest..and then closed with "Jackson" which was amazing.  My other favorite sets were the Devil Makes Three, M Ward, Justin Townes Earl and Middle Brother.

but what went down in the Blue Cafe late night was just incredible.  Surprise sets from Trampled by Turtles, Felice Brothers, Middle Brother, Johnny Corndawg, Sallie Ford, Dawes..guest appearances by Joe Fletcher and M Ward....it was just madness.  Sunday night was insane...Matt Vasquez from Delta Spirit started singing these punk covers and the next thing you know there is crowed surfing, beers going all over the place.  Deer Tick hosted one hell of a party..and they are just such an incredible band.  Ending with La Bamba with a guest appearance by M. Ward...and all of this going down in a tiny little bar...don't know if I'll ever see something like that again.

wolof7

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee