Main Menu

Futurebirds

Started by Ruckus, Mar 30, 2011, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on Apr 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
And Tom looks a lot like Michael Anthony here :grin:

Watching your vids you posted and the one BH posted, I just can't get used to Tom without that big 'ol beard!  And I do see the resemblance as well...  :tongue:

parkervb

they are opening for Band of Horses right now.  Might be the main reason I go see BoH again.  I've seen BoH plenty, they're solid but never really offer any surprises. 
Don't you ever turn it off

EverythingChanges

Where should I start? Hampton's Lullaby or Baba Yaga?  Which has a little less country twang? 
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Fully

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 09, 2013, 01:07 PM
Where should I start? Hampton's Lullaby or Baba Yaga?  Which has a little less country twang?

Both are excellent albums, but if you don't want the "twang", I.cant help. I don't find anything they do be too twangy. I might classify it as Americana music. When I first started listening to them someone told me that it reminded them of early MMJ and they were correct. However, you may have different tastes.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Jun 09, 2013, 01:51 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jun 09, 2013, 01:07 PM

Both are excellent albums, but if you don't want the "twang", I.cant help. I don't find anything they do be too twangy. I might classify it as Americana music. When I first started listening to them someone told me that it reminded them of early MMJ and they were correct. However, you may have different tastes.

Most of what I have heard isn't too twangy.  I was just wondering which of the two albums possessed less of it. 

From what I can tell by the small clips on iTunes, I'm leaning towards Baba Yaga.  The songs appear to be more expansive and complex, is this correct?  I want something juicy like Rollin' Back, or Steam Engine. 

Fully

Maybe you would be better served to go to a streaming service and listen to both of them. Music is so subjective. I don't think you are going to find anything like Steam Engine or Rolling Back, but We may be thinking along different lines. You should listen and judge for yourself.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Jun 09, 2013, 07:04 PM
Maybe you would be better served to go to a streaming service and listen to both of them. Music is so subjective. I don't think you are going to find anything like Steam Engine or Rolling Back, but We may be thinking along different lines. You should listen and judge for yourself.

I grabbed their new one, and I'm digging it.

I don't necessarily mean something that sounds like those two songs, but something that has the reverby sound of Rollin Back, or the progressive layered build similar to Steam.

I'm aware that there is nothing else out there that sounds like steam engine.

walterfredo

Not familiar with their music at all, other than watching some of the clips in this thread.  They're playing in my town this Friday night, $8 and a 5 minute bike ride from my house.  Fired up to see them...love their sound. 

Fully

You'll enjoy it, WalterFredo!

Ruckus

Quote from: walterfredo on Jul 15, 2013, 04:29 PM
Not familiar with their music at all, other than watching some of the clips in this thread.  They're playing in my town this Friday night, $8 and a 5 minute bike ride from my house.  Fired up to see them...love their sound.
Have a great time man!  Bring your friends.  Sounds like they've had some trouble attracting attention on the left coast.  At $8, even if they play only a 60 minute set, truly a bargain.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

zanjam

They played a good two hours in SF last night.  And everyone in our group was completely blown away, jaws on the floor, totally bowled over by the awesomeness of what we had just witnessed.  I have been desperately trying to find a running pardner to come down to the Visalia show, but no luck so far.  Jaye should really go with me!!  I would even consider coming solo if the ac in my car hadn't broken last week!!  Walterfredo, you are going to love.  I've seen them three times and each time I am in disbelief afterwards.  It's really quite something.  They're magical.  They give it 1000% and rock it like it's nobody's business.
anything + reverb always = better

zanjam

Went to the show in Visalia and hung out with Walterfredo and his wife.  Great peeps!  Barely anyone there but had an awesome time nonetheless.  LOVE this band!
anything + reverb always = better

justbcuzido

Any Roll Callers going to their show @ The Parish in Austin on Aug 1st?

This will be my first time seeing them and I am really excited as I have missed them several times.

For people who have seen them, how are their shows? Their music is very chill on album but I feel like their energy is high on stage, is that true?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

walterfredo

They definitely have great stage energy.  I thoroughly enjoyed their sound and their songs.  And they did a great cover of Neal Young's Unknown Legend.  Good times. 

ItBeats4Jew

thanks for taking care of my sis, walterfredo. 
what Madonna said really helped

Ruckus

In case some of you haven't checked some of these out, here's the recent NYC show from May this year.

EDIT:  Lol!  Gotta run and I forgot how to properly link archive urls.  The NYC recording on archive from May this year is excellent. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
In case some of you haven't checked some of these out, here's the recent NYC show from May this year.

EDIT:  Lol!  Gotta run and I forgot how to properly link archive urls.  The NYC recording on archive from May this year is excellent.

"http://archive.org/details/futurebirds2013-05-31.nyctaper.flac16"    :beer:
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

vadermaul

Just wanted to add how awesome this band is!

Drove up from San Antonio to catch them in Austin and they lived up to the hype.  Great stage presence, great sound, & great songs, really enjoyed the show.  They even played a cover of 'Dead Flowers' by the Rolling Stones in the encore.

After the show I told the rhythm guitar player my 2.5 yr old sings 'Sam Jones' and he thought that was the greatest thing.   :thumbsup:

justbcuzido

Quote from: vadermaul on Aug 02, 2013, 09:25 AM

Drove up from San Antonio to catch them in Austin and they lived up to the hype.  Great stage presence, great sound, & great songs, really enjoyed the show.  They even played a cover of 'Dead Flowers' by the Rolling Stones in the encore.

After the show I told the rhythm guitar player my 2.5 yr old sings 'Sam Jones' and he thought that was the greatest thing.   :thumbsup:

Yeah it was a really great show. The opening band, Diarrhea Planet was really fun too. They started a slight "mellow mosh" during their set.

The "Dead Flowers" Cover was awesome. Though Ski Chalet, with its jam in the middle and then when they went back into the chorus minutes later was the best part of the show for me.

I can't wait to see these guys again. I hope a taping surfaces of "Dead Flowers" at some point.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

vadermaul

Quote from: justbcuzido on Aug 02, 2013, 10:24 AM
Quote from: vadermaul on Aug 02, 2013, 09:25 AM

Yeah it was a really great show. The opening band, Diarrhea Planet was really fun too. They started a slight "mellow mosh" during their set.

The "Dead Flowers" Cover was awesome. Though Ski Chalet, with its jam in the middle and then when they went back into the chorus minutes later was the best part of the show for me.

I can't wait to see these guys again. I hope a taping surfaces of "Dead Flowers" at some point.

justbcuzido did you find the crowd kind of lame?  At one point it felt like half the crowd left.  Starting to notice Austin crowds are not what they use to be.  I don't go to many shows in Austin anymore but I'm starting to notice this trend. 

Yeah that Ski Chalet was epic!!  Was hoping for 'American Cowboy' but they played everything else I wanted to hear.