Main Menu

Octoplasm

Started by ChronicHunger, Apr 12, 2011, 01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyRyder

Quote from: Seeker on Apr 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
I thought the "Instant Preorder Download" was for the whole CD on May 31. It's a zip file (for only one song?) which I don't have the software to unzip.

I use WinRAR and have never had problems, I highly recommend it (and it's free :thumbsup:):

http://www.win-rar.com/download.html
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

EasyRyder

Quote from: Bigsky on Apr 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
Did anybody see the image in the "Get Info" on iTunes? It looks like a guini pig behind a piece of glass, and on the glass it says "BREAK GLASS."  ???

Is there any way that anyone could post the album art for this? I'm a Zune dude/iTunes incapable and I can't find the album art. I'd sure like to see this guinea pig thang

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: br00ke on Apr 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 14, 2011, 12:07 AMit's kinda boring

agreed and your right, it'd probably be better live. i'm a big jerry/GD fan and i get where you all are coming from on the likeness but ..... not so much. more so in spirit i guess.

you hit the nail on the head br00ke.  it's like an homage to the dead type of jam mixed with what I'd consider a classic funk style riff.  Funkadelic meets Grateful Dead meets the obvious vibrato of MMJ.  the jerry tone is used for the soloing like just before the one minute mark or right around the 3minute mark  and eventually towards the end sprinkled in.   to be honest I'm the most impressed with Tom on this track.  his bass line is straight bad ass for the majority of the song.  and then it turns angelic and he shines even more.   I don't think the main riff guitar reminds me of the dead I think only the lead does.  the riff is where I'm getting the funkadelic vibe from probably. 

bottom line, if this makes them improv more live I'm all for it. 

EasyRyder

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
Quote from: br00ke on Apr 14, 2011, 01:26 PM
Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Apr 14, 2011, 12:07 AMit's kinda boring

agreed and your right, it'd probably be better live. i'm a big jerry/GD fan and i get where you all are coming from on the likeness but ..... not so much. more so in spirit i guess.

you hit the nail on the head br00ke.  it's like an homage to the dead type of jam mixed with what I'd consider a classic funk style riff.  Funkadelic meets Grateful Dead meets the obvious vibrato of MMJ.  the jerry tone is used for the soloing like just before the one minute mark or right around the 3minute mark  and eventually towards the end sprinkled in.   to be honest I'm the most impressed with Tom on this track.  his bass line is straight bad ass for the majority of the song.  and then it turns angelic and he shines even more.   I don't think the main riff guitar reminds me of the dead I think only the lead does.  the riff is where I'm getting the funkadelic vibe from probably. 

bottom line, if this makes them improv more live I'm all for it.

As am I, sticky. They're more than capable of upping the amount of improvisation in their shows IMO, and one would think it'd be refreshing for them to do so with so many shows in heavy tour years.

I would really love to see some form of this enter the live repertoire, even if it ends up being brief moments of awesomeness like what they did with the Good Intentions>Lay Low Jam or Eminence Front Intro. I'm respectfully surprised that some peeps wouldn't want live improvisation or Octoplasmic jamming in a show!

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

trippin from shroomin

Does anyone else get hints of Pink Floyd's money sprinkled throughout the song?

rincon

I thought the "Instant Preorder Download" was for the whole CD on May 31. It's a zip file (for only one song?) which I don't have the software to unzip.
Do I know You?

Seeker

Quote from: rincon on Apr 14, 2011, 10:05 PM
Do I know You?

I believe our Avatars used to be acquainted.  :)

Seeker

By the way the description given for this self-hypnosis thingy kinda sorta reminds me of Pete Townshend's Lifehouse Method which, like many Pete projects, never really came to fruition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lifehouse_Method

"The Lifehouse Method was an Internet site where applicants could sit for an electronic musical portrait made up from data they enter into the website. This website was the result of a collaboration between The Who's principal songwriter and composer Pete Townshend, composer Lawrence Ball and software developer Dave Snowdon."

"Townshend hoped to link the audience in a way that would reflect the personalities of the audience members. To do this, he adapted VCS3 and ARP synthesizers and a quadraphonic PA to create a machine capable of generating and combining personal music themes written from computerized biographical data. He expected these thematic components would merge to form a "One Note" or "universal chord" representing the audience, and by extrapolation, all of humanity."

capt. scotty

Love the track, probably more appropriate for this "hypnosis series" deal than the album, but if they need to create their own psychotherapy songs outside of albums and theyre gonna sound like this, Im all for it.

The guitar is definitely JG reminiscent, and maybe this is the Phish phan in me, but what gives it even more of a Dead vibe IMO is because the song is entirely rhythm section driven, and the guitar complements the drums and bass for basically the whole song.

From first listen, this feels like the song that replaces the 2nd half of Run Thru from last tour, or ends up being a late set staple regardless...I dont see how they pass up playing this live, so many segue options as well
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

the_wizzard

I hear a full-on Jerry Garcia vibe to the guitar, but not really a Grateful Dead sound. Anyone else here familiar with Jerry & Howard Wale's work together (Hooteroll)? Very similar sound to Octoplasm....

woodnymph

Quote from: Ive got an EVIL plan babe on Apr 14, 2011, 08:30 PM
Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Apr 13, 2011, 12:44 AM
So is there any way to hear this without signing up for the fan club?

Yes!
http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2011/04/my-morning-jacket-octoplasm-mp3/

I signed up for the gold ulti platinum box set but did so at such a bizarre pace that I failed to add the Roll Call feature on to my order.....guess I might could call or contact the company and see about adding it on, but I was sorely missing hearing this due to my lackadaisical nature..... and I wanna be on the roll call dangitttt
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Quote from: mgriff73 on Apr 13, 2011, 08:04 AM
It reminds me of a jam from the beatie boys check your head album.

Absolutely.... a cross between a few of those instrumental gems for sure, love that album, and instrumental beasties in general
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Seeker on Apr 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
Do I know You?

Oh god, more Who Fans.  ;D
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

rincon

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Apr 17, 2011, 03:16 AM
Quote from: Seeker on Apr 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
Do I know You?

In what universe could that  be a bad thing?

Seeker

The first song I ever heard and saw MMJ play was  A Quick One on the Bonnaroo Web cast in 2006, when I was tuning in for Tom Petty. Then I was blown away by the rest of their set featuring their own songs.  Loved MMJ ever since. Fortuitous timing I would say.

oistheone

Really enjoy this track. For me, it accomplishes exactly what it is advertised to do -- self-hypnotize. Kinda brilliant, really. All four times I've sat down to listen to this, I just get lost in that groove and actually do just start thinking about random shit. Can't wait for installment number two.

Dont' mean to be negative, but I am doubting that we will hear this live. Sounds like it was just a jam that happened to be recorded. As amazing a band as they are, I doubt they could (or would want to) duplicate what happened in the confines of a free-form jam session.

CTdeadhead

in just the first few seconds I found a strong resemblance in the sound patterns that instantly reminded me of the Hamza Al Din jam from the 9-16-78 in Egypt (maybe its just me), always loved that jam, and I also love this.  Check out this footage, starting a 1:46 or so. 

GRATEFUL DEAD JAM - EGYPT 78

JaneCool

Quote from: T5 wizzard on Apr 16, 2011, 12:37 PM
I hear a full-on Jerry Garcia vibe to the guitar, but not really a Grateful Dead sound. Anyone else here familiar with Jerry & Howard Wale's work together (Hooteroll)? Very similar sound to Octoplasm....

I am not, but I too got a Dead vibe from it. I love it!
So, I do believe.....

Yimyames

Quote from: capt. scotty on Apr 16, 2011, 03:59 AM
Love the track, probably more appropriate for this "hypnosis series" deal than the album, but if they need to create their own psychotherapy songs outside of albums and theyre gonna sound like this, Im all for it.

The guitar is definitely JG reminiscent, and maybe this is the Phish phan in me, but what gives it even more of a Dead vibe IMO is because the song is entirely rhythm section driven, and the guitar complements the drums and bass for basically the whole song.

From first listen, this feels like the song that replaces the 2nd half of Run Thru from last tour, or ends up being a late set staple regardless...I dont see how they pass up playing this live, so many segue options as well

this