Main Menu

Rival Sons

Started by Ruckus, Jun 01, 2011, 10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

So their new record, "Pressure and Time" drops on June 20th and the 1st single of the same name is everything I expected as a follow up to their killer debut album.  I know some of the forum folks know my love of this band.  Hell as proof, I left the Flaming Lips early at Hangout and skipped a chance at more Motorhead to catch the last two songs of their set.

For those not familiar, they are a hard driving bluesy, psychedelic throwback band that remind many of Zeppelin.  I call it the Black Keys with balls. ;D  As evidenced by my love of J Roddy , I've been on a rock n' roll revival kick and the movement seems to be picking up quite a head of steam with bands such as the Rival Sons making huge strides.

Here's the video and title track to their upcoming album.  I mean, you can't beat a singer that looks like Jim Morrison and Steve Zahn's lovechild. ;D  Seriously this band is so talented top to bottom.

Rival Sons - Pressure And Time
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

Looking forward to this. I've enjoyed all of your rec's so far.   :beer:

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Jun 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
As evidenced by my love of J Roddy , I've been on a rock n' roll revival kick and the movement seems to be picking up quite a head of steam with bands such as the Rival Sons making huge strides.
Rival Sons - Pressure And Time

likewise my man J rod, sheepdogs, black keys, it's all good for that movement, keep the revival suggestions coming. Really love their first album, will definitely be checking this one out.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

TheBigChicken

HOLY SHIT ! THAT ROCKED !
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

dude said James Jamerson the motown bassist who called his bass the "funk-machine"        :-*  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Ruckus

new album is pretty good :o :o :o :o :thumbsup:

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

im hooked. right in my wheelhouse. Theyre no JRoddy, but they aint far off either. I definitely think they sound more like Zeppelin/Black Crowes/Free more than "Black Keys with Balls", but lets not split hairs.

I didnt know that song from the Jeremiah Weed commercials was their's. Its decent enough, and maybe I watch too much PTI, but thats the only song Ive skipped everytime after a few listens.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

TheBigChicken

MarkW

Pressure and Time arrived yesterday.  It's fucking brilliant - cheers Ruckus!  :beer:
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

CC

Been a fan of Jay Buchanan for years.
Rival sons is alright but still prefer his early stuff.
Check these out...

Jay Buchanan - The Wilderness

Beauty Everywhere

CC

Ah man, Rival Sons are playing Amsterdam 11/14, exact same time as MMJ, across the street! I'm gonna have to ask Jay to busk in the afternoon or something.

Jay Buchanan Live on the Streets of Long Beach

MarkW

Quote from: CC Baxter on Sep 09, 2011, 08:13 AM
Ah man, Rival Sons are playing Amsterdam 11/14, exact same time as MMJ, across the street! I'm gonna have to ask Jay to busk in the afternoon or something.

Same story in Manchester on 6 November.  MMJ are at the Academy, and Rival Sons are at the Academy 3 (about 100 yards away) at exactly the same time!  Are they sharing a bus or something?
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Shug

Starting to hear Rival Sons on the radio in Phoenix...Finally!  Maybe they'll actually do a proper tour in the States for once.  Seems like they live in Europe, great for you that live over there, you deserve it for all the bands you have to wait years to tour there, but goddammit, I want to see Rival Sons live!!

And call it weird, but I'm happy to have a band (besides MMJ) that Ruckus and me are on the same page about (even tho' we've never even met, but I hope to some day...) There are probably others, I don't know...
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Ruckus

Quote from: Shug on May 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Starting to hear Rival Sons on the radio in Phoenix...Finally!  Maybe they'll actually do a proper tour in the States for once.  Seems like they live in Europe, great for you that live over there, you deserve it for all the bands you have to wait years to tour there, but goddammit, I want to see Rival Sons live!!

And call it weird, but I'm happy to have a band (besides MMJ) that Ruckus and me are on the same page about (even tho' we've never even met, but I hope to some day...) There are probably others, I don't know...
Oh I think we have more in common than you think.  I'm still a big fan of the Dead, the Who, Petty, Mofro etc. and former fan of the Crowes and Wilco. :wink:  I also typically refrain from seeing the big rock acts because of the price tag.  MMJ is the priciest show I'll see and they are becoming almost too costly for me.

I only saw the Rival Sons once, and it was for three songs at Hangout Fest but they sounded great.  I hope I get the chance to see a proper set as well.

Shug

The Dead and Petty and all that?  Awesome, Ruckus!  I was confused by all the rap and metal and bands I've never heard of, it formed a cloud around my mind!  :evil:

The new Rival Sons album Head Down just came in the mail, we listened last night and all we could say is "We GOTTA see this band live!"

MarkW

Saw these guys for the first time last night in a small, sweaty club.  They were fucking awesome!  The new songs came across well, and they did some older ones, but the main thing was the intensity of the performance.  Took the roof off.

Set list;

Electric Man
Good Luck
Secret
Play the Fool
Good Things
Torture
Gypsy Heart
Jordan
Rich and the Poor
Open My Eyes

Encore:
Manifest Destiny, Part 1
Pressure and Time
Drum Solo
Keep On Swinging
Face of Light

And just for you, Ruckus; I think I was the only one there rocking an Arbouretum t-shirt.  :thumbsup:

Shug

Forgot about this thread.  Thanks for the reminder MarkW.  We saw Rival Sons in Vegas last December in the small room (Vinyl) at the Hard Rock.  Shitty Vegas poseur crowd, but Jay and Rival Sons kicked ass, of course.  I really love them for their hard rock, but I'm also a softie for some power soulfulness and Jay's singing on Only One slayed me.  He's got a range of influences, clearly.

I can't find a way to purchase a physical disc of their new album Great Western Valkyrie except as an import.  I don't want to buy it on iTunes, I want the physical disc.  If anybody figures this out, let me know, thanks!

Good to hear glowing show reports.  Tater, you hear that?!  :wink:

Can't wait to see them again.