2011 Circuital Tour Posters

Started by walterfredo, Jun 16, 2011, 11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WSS2

definitely burwell - in line with all his recent prints / styles

CountSA

subinai

how does the artist commission process work for show posters like this? personal relationship with the band?

ryno11111

Quote from: subinai on Jun 23, 2011, 11:23 AM
how does the artist commission process work for show posters like this? personal relationship with the band?

From what I can gather it seems like every band/tour/artist/promoter has a different process for contracting/creating/printing/selling/promoting gigposter artwork.  I think a lot of times a band will contact an artist directly, & sometimes it works in reverse.  Some artists are printers & designers, whereas some artists choose to focus only on the design aspect and will subcontract the printing phase to someone else.   Many occasions you will see multiple posters for a single event...perhaps one commissioned by the band and one commissioned by the venue and/or promoter.  It just doesn't really seem that there is a 'one size fits all' method for producing & selling concert posters. 

subinai

Quote from: ryno11111 on Jun 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
Quote from: subinai on Jun 23, 2011, 11:23 AM

From what I can gather it seems like every band/tour/artist/promoter has a different process for contracting/creating/printing/selling/promoting gigposter artwork.  I think a lot of times a band will contact an artist directly, & sometimes it works in reverse.  Some artists are printers & designers, whereas some artists choose to focus only on the design aspect and will subcontract the printing phase to someone else.   Many occasions you will see multiple posters for a single event...perhaps one commissioned by the band and one commissioned by the venue and/or promoter.  It just doesn't really seem that there is a 'one size fits all' method for producing & selling concert posters.

thank you!

Sangban

hope oakland is on par with the burwell.

can't see them not serving up tubes for that beauty.  it's a travesty if they didn't.

e_wind

so far all 3 posters this tour have been pretty awesome.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

e_wind

oh sorry, all 4. i forgot about that amazing bonnaroo poster.

mahg33ta

There are festival posters for specific bands, such as the bonnaroo pictured above or Burwell's famous 08 Bonnaroo.   There are also general festival posters that I try to also collect if MMJ is mentioned by name.   By that measure there are also 4 more - 2 hangout and 2 wakarusa.

If you expand the list to all 2011 MMJ posters, we're up to 12.   Roll Call, 4/17 Lexington, 5 festival posters, Circuital Unstaged premiere, and the 4 june shows.  I'd agree that so far the quality is very high this year.

guybur

been a long time since i chimed in here. thanks for all of the nice nice comments etc, of course. working for MMJ is always a pleasure. to answer a question above, the band contacts artists directly and asks them about doing posters for shows or specific dates. some times we can choose a date and sometimes that has been done for us. ideally i would love to do a local show like Edgefield here in Portland, but alas, not this time.

once upon a time i bought a Darla split 7" featuring The Photon Band, Those Bastard Souls, both of whom I loved, and a band I hadn't heard of called My Morning Jacket and was blown away by that single. I wrote an email, back in the fledgling days of email, and said how much I liked that recording and a fellow named Jim wrote back to me and thus started a 'relationship' with the band that carried through the first four or five posters, the Z album art contribution, and on and on. The organization has gotten bigger and more complex, but I am happy to be contributing to the efforts even after all this time and have had lots of pleasant interactions with the band over the years. a solid bunch of kids made good.

vespachick

^^^ Guy, you are TOP NOTCH!! :thumbsup: :beer:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

e_wind

You are an awesome artist man. I emailed you about the possibilty of extra posters up on the website... I know there are several people here who would fork cash over for it instantly

subinai

walterfredo

Quote from: vespachick on Jun 23, 2011, 07:50 PM
^^^ Guy, you are TOP NOTCH!! :thumbsup: :beer:

indeed, and always a pleasure to deal with.  It's artists like GW that make you feel good about paying money for art.  Love it. 

tdb810

Quote from: guybur on Jun 23, 2011, 07:40 PM
been a long time since i chimed in here. thanks for all of the nice nice comments etc, of course. working for MMJ is always a pleasure. to answer a question above, the band contacts artists directly and asks them about doing posters for shows or specific dates. some times we can choose a date and sometimes that has been done for us. ideally i would love to do a local show like Edgefield here in Portland, but alas, not this time.

once upon a time i bought a Darla split 7" featuring The Photon Band, Those Bastard Souls, both of whom I loved, and a band I hadn't heard of called My Morning Jacket and was blown away by that single. I wrote an email, back in the fledgling days of email, and said how much I liked that recording and a fellow named Jim wrote back to me and thus started a 'relationship' with the band that carried through the first four or five posters, the Z album art contribution, and on and on. The organization has gotten bigger and more complex, but I am happy to be contributing to the efforts even after all this time and have had lots of pleasant interactions with the band over the years. a solid bunch of kids made good.

WOW, thanks for sharing this story! good stuff!  beautiful work!
.....Back at the Model Home

Randall

darkglow

dear mr. guy,

i would give my left pinky toe for a print of the "At Dawn" T5 poster for a reasonable price..

your friend,
darkglow

guybur

For everyone interested in things related directly or indirectly to posters and mmj posters, there will be a selection of things in a new gallery show in Portland, which will also be available for viewing and 'purchase' online, put on by the good fellow Jason Goodfoot, he who curates and creates The Art of Musical Maintenance show here in P-Town each year.

Send a note to him at jbrown @ thegoodfoot . com and ask for information regarding the show, any announcements, or to be alerted when the show will be active. Original art, sketches, prints etc... will be featured covering the whole of our 'poster career' thus far.

See the NEWS area of our website for a bit more information to read.

Sorry to make this poster forum a huckster event, but some folk might be interested. The mod can delete this, of course, if it crosses content boundaries.

xo gb.c

tdb810

W-O-W, thanks for the scoop!
.....Back at the Model Home