Come on Irene

Started by Ruckus, Aug 25, 2011, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Yeh I don't mean to say there won't be serious implications, it's just that the worst of it will be more concentrated. Imagine 100mph for a 100 mile radius instead of a 50 mile radius. the increase in loss will be exponentially higher
I'm surrounded by assholes

ericm

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 26, 2011, 06:37 PM
Yeh I don't mean to say there won't be serious implications, it's just that the worst of it will be more concentrated. Imagine 100mph for a 100 mile radius instead of a 50 mile radius. the increase in loss will be exponentially higher

Oh, I get that, it's just I'm worried a lot of people think a cat 1 is nothing. Just trying to point out it could still do some serious damage. I'm sure the people in the 50 or so mile radius won't care what it's rating is when they're getting pounded.
"Where's Jim going?"

ynwa

i've sent txts to those that i have cell #'s for: if anyone needs an inland place to stay - let me know.  my parents place is not too far from "upstate" ny (to nyc dwellers) - like - 2 towns from suffern, near the ramapo mountains.  i'm prob heading there tomorrow to keep an eye on the place, as they are away.  there are plenty of beds.

hurricane party anyone?

but seriously - everyone BE SAFE!
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

el_chode

Quote from: ericm on Aug 26, 2011, 07:00 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Aug 26, 2011, 06:37 PM

Oh, I get that, it's just I'm worried a lot of people think a cat 1 is nothing. Just trying to point out it could still do some serious damage. I'm sure the people in the 50 or so mile radius won't care what it's rating is when they're getting pounded.

I think the real story is that an actual hurricane is hitting NYC and the rare track it's taking up the coast. The jersey shore will be sanitized a bit, and NYC will definitely get some significant water. But for the rest of us I think it might resemble a really nasty nor'easter as far as winds.

Regardless of whether it's a tropical depression or cat 5, we're boned because we're already oversaturated with water. That won't really be changing the game much.

headhunter

Wishing you all well.  Spent the day battening down the place (went to 3 home depots and not one had any flashlights or 6 volt batteries) and hoping for the best.  Hoping for the best but need to keep the basement dry (stereo and thousands of lps).  Best of luck to all you by the sea and hoping that as Bruce said, "someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny".

Thanks Liz for the kind thoughts and generous offer.  Next show, the rail's on me.  ;)
was some shakin' and some record playin'

ericm

Quote from: headhunter on Aug 26, 2011, 10:08 PM
  Best of luck to all you by the sea and hoping that as Bruce said, "someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Ahh  Rosie Baby!! Just what the doctor ordered....a little Bruce to get the juices flowing.

I'm sitting here on my deck with a nice martini on a spooky deserted street listening to some old school Genesis. They've been one of the  soundtracks of my life, and always good for the soul.

Here's something sweet if anyone wants to join me.

Firth Of Fifth : Genesis - Firth Of Fifth - Six Hours Live
"Where's Jim going?"

Randall

I've spent the past 2 days (less the couple of hours I was in the ER yesterday with an allergic reaction to the hornet stings I got) preparing for the storm. 
fueled, oiled and sharpened the chains on these today:
http://youtu.be/U8JOOS8LjiI

el_chode

Made a Hurricane Irene collaborative playlist if anyone wants to contribute:

Hurricane Irene

I hope I did this right.

I just ask you don't put on Dylan's Hurricane or the Scorpions

FiddleCastro

All the stores around here are wiped out, and I have to work a shift stocking tomorrow at my grocery store. It's going to be complete chaos.

Black Line: Projected path,
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

capt. scotty

Quote from: kotchishm on Aug 26, 2011, 11:34 AM
Is it true they are shutting down NYC public transportation?  What will people do?

Talk about over reaction to the fullest. We drove out of North Carolina at noon today, didnt hit traffic on 40-West like the news stations had been saying, and got back to the Burgh under great weather in about 12 hours.

On another note, my Moms wouldnt go to the beach this morning (I wanted to just to check out the waves, and pull a Point Break moment, but oh well). However, I introduced her to Fat Tire in NC, and she loved it. She's not a drinker, let alone a beer drinker. They dont sell it in PA, but its been 1 of my favorite brews for awhile. We hit up the Walmart around 1130am, and while everyone else was undergoing hurricane precautions, we cleared out the Fat Tire and bought five 12 packs  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ericm

Still hangin. Looks like I'll definitely get to be here most of the day into tonight. So far only some light rain and a bit of wind.

The ocean's starting to kick up a bit, but not really raging yet. Sounds louder than it looks right now. It's at low tide, so I'm sure the swells will be picking up as the day progresses.

I'll keep you posted, and be safe everyone.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

el_chode

Ok, enough with the doom and gloom, whatchy'all got to pass the time?

We have:

Bananagrams
(1) Jack-Ass Asskisser Double IPA 22oz
(1) Young's Dbl Chocolate Stout
(1) Bananabread Beer
(1) Greenflash Le Freak Belgian Double IPA 22oz
(6) Saranac Pumpkins (gross, not for me)
(6) Lagunitas Lil' Sumthin Sumthin
Misc detritus beers from all summer long
Misc whisk(e)ys
Home made italian bread dough in the bread machine scavenged from various types of flour in the apartment (4 C flour, 1/3 C water, 1.5 tsp oil/salt, .25 oz yeast, 2 TBSP brown suga)
Home made gravy to go with the bread
Home made meatballs to go with the gravy
1 Poker set
36 bottles of water

wolof7

GAME OF THRONES Season 1!!
...and a bottle of Mead that we got as a gift (where the hell do you get Mead?)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: el_chode on Aug 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ok, enough with the doom and gloom, whatchy'all got to pass the time?

We have:

Bananagrams
(1) Jack-Ass Asskisser Double IPA 22oz
(1) Young's Dbl Chocolate Stout
(1) Bananabread Beer
(1) Greenflash Le Freak Belgian Double IPA 22oz
(6) Saranac Pumpkins (gross, not for me)
(6) Lagunitas Lil' Sumthin Sumthin
Misc detritus beers from all summer long
Misc whisk(e)ys
Home made italian bread dough in the bread machine scavenged from various types of flour in the apartment (4 C flour, 1/3 C water, 1.5 tsp oil/salt, .25 oz yeast, 2 TBSP brown suga)
Home made gravy to go with the bread
Home made meatballs to go with the gravy
1 Poker set
36 bottles of water

I loaded up on a whole bunch of Oktoberfests last time I was at my local bottleshop. Might have to break some of them out tonight.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Ruckus

Truly bummed that I had to move a 14 team fantasy draft tomorrow from live to online.  It's one of the most fun days of the year.  Oh well.  Cars moved away from all my trees in the backyard above the driveway.

I have:

New Belgium - Fat Tire, Ranger, Trippel, Hoptober
Smutty Nose - Brown Ale, Porter, IPA, Pale Ale
Flying Dog - Ragin Bitch, Classic Pale Ale, IPA, and the great Simcoe Imperial IPA (brilliant)
Mendocino - Red Hawk Ale
James Boag's Tasmanian Lager

8 gallons of Starr Blu Vodka

Whole roasted chicken from last night and currently making Japanese style beef curry.

Enjoy the weekend to those that can.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjk73

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Aug 27, 2011, 02:40 AM
All the stores around here are wiped out, and I have to work a shift stocking tomorrow at my grocery store. It's going to be complete chaos.

Black Line: Projected path,
I'd pretty much would say fuck that.

headhunter

Spending the night playing scrabble, drinking wine, eating popcorn and watching Okonokos.
So far so good.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Randall

it stinks that I can't have beers.  I just have to wait until Irene hits and be ready to get called in.   :(

ericm

Here's a pic of Atlantic City, where it's looking  like Irene will hit tomorrow morning.   :(

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6410/33400423553389220461207.jpg
"Where's Jim going?"