Vegetarian Victuals!

Started by the_wizzard, Sep 27, 2011, 11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Damn I wish I was at your place tomorrow!

Louisville's vegetarian restaurant choices have gotten quite good very recently. My favorite restaurant ever's (Zen Garden - vegetarian Asian food) owner opened two more in the past couple months. Roots is a vegetarian/vegan restaurant that's somewhat fancy and DELICIOUS. Heart and Soy is in the same building, and is vegetarian/vegan "street food". It's cheap, healthy, and fucking tasty. You can't beat that. They make their own soy milk and tofu in house. Occasionally they have frozen pizzas, desserts, and other goods you can buy and take home. It definitely helps that is literally less than 60 seconds from my house walking.

Also, a Maddio's pizza opened near my house. It's a fast food pizza joint that lets you chose from 60 or so different toppings. They even have gluten-free crust, tofu, and vegan cheese! Its one restaurant that I actually eat the meat though, because it's all humane. Free range, grass diet, hormone free, small farms, the whole nine yards. It was founded by the guys who founded moe's. moe's also has humane meat, gluten free stuff, locally grown vegi's.

ALSO, we just got a trader joes. Now I can afford the food I always wanted from whole foods!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

woodnymph

Come on over!!   :)

I ate at someplace on Bardstown last August when I pulled through.... (or August 2010, rather) it supposedly used to be an Indian restaurant, then maybe the ownership changed or some-such.... then it was a new place... had a really cool name, but my memory is sometimes for crap... (Something like "___ Nirvana?"  or "___ Karma?")  OH I just remembered that  they had a really good Margherita pizza, and it was before I committed to gluten-free, so I devoured it in probably 7 seconds, it was great  8)  Or maybe it WAS gluten-free.... wow brain....... Anyway, I really wanted Indian food and had quite a mission trying to find it!  The first place my gps took me to had burnt down previously... then the second spot was closed on whatever day of the week I'd been there.... then the third place was the one with the name-change... and some awesome dreadie guy playing his guitar on his porch explained that all to me hahah

But I loved the exploration, I walked up and down Bardstown and saw Cumberland Brews which made me smile for at least 20 minutes at the clever Dead theme, and some really cool little shops and such. Maddio's sounds awesome!!  Wish I'd have known about it, but my trip through was pretty spontaneous!  Love their food ethics though, amen to them!

Glad you finally got a Trader Joe's!  They waited for me to move, then they put one up 15 minutes from my parents' house back home yay!  :-\  But whatever, at least visiting will be a bit easier!  8)  And that's sweet that you've got the option now for some good grub!

I gotta get outta this thread I'm starving now!!   :bath:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

e_wind

Karma Cafe? I only went there a time or two before it got replaced (recently) by Dragon Kings Daughter, which is amazing Japanese-ish food. The building that burnt down recently was Cafe Mimosa

woodnymph

Dragon King's Daughter, that's it!!  It was a really cool spot, and they played AWESOME music.....

Well the pies turned out WONDERFULLY today!!  And the veggie gluten-free stuffing I made was a hit!  (It was so good it was actually hard to distinguish from regular stuffing!)  And I've got soup for dayyyyysss, which will be nice  :)

Hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving, and thank you all for all the amazing times we've shared and the great connections and everything!!!  So grateful for all of you!!  :-*

Ruckus

One of my favorite comfort foods I grew up with is natto maki (fermented soybean rolls).  Just heated fermented soybean with hot asian yellow mustard, wasabi and soy sauce rolled in Japanese rice with scallion and wrapped in roasted seaweed.  For those that haven't tried natto I say go for it though most Westerners find the smell and taste offensive.  Additionally, after heated, it has the slimy, sticky texture associated with okra.  I love it! 

Some I made the other day.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ALady

Every time I order the natto maki I get the "are you sure?".  ;D. Looks good Ruckus!

Made a roasted beet and wheatberry salad for Thanksgiving.  Woody, your dishes sound delish!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

woodnymph

That natto maki looks fantastic!  I've been on a huge seaweed kick lately....... there's an apple-smoked dulse at the local co-op sometimes, and mmmmmmm

Toasted nori is always a crunchy tasty treat!  Looks great!  :thumbsup:

And thanks Maggie!  I just finished the last of my gluten-free pie tonight  :-X  I'm leaving the last slice of the raw pie for my housemate who couldn't eat the other pie...  And still eatin' on the squash soup :-D

e_wind

I'm making Hue-ish soup tonight. I know Hue is almost defined by the meat, but I'm making it with tofu. So basically it'll be Spicy Vietnamese Noodle Soup w/ tofu. And spinach filled steamed wontons. I'm excited and i haven't even eaten breakfast yet.