Forum Album Club #6 ~ Nick Drake - Pink Moon

Started by wolof7, Oct 05, 2011, 06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ophidiophobia

I bought this album around 5 years ago during college. When I first got this album my original thoughts were around Drake's voice. His voice is made for smoothing calm feelings. But this last week my thoughts have been on guitar work on this album. I love the simple finger-picked work on this album. I don't ever remember the guitar work before this week, but listening to this album this week I've been blown again by the guitar work.

ManNamedTruth

The guitar playing is really nice and fluid.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

favorite songs - Pink Moon, Road, Things Behind The Sun, Know, and Free Ride
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

capt. scotty

I never heard this album until a year or so ago, although I had been familiar with the name and his posthumous fame for awhile. Its been my go-to album when going to bed for the last few weeks. Odd that thats the case I randomly brought it back into rotation on its 40th anniversary as well as it being a forum album at the same time.

I need to hear his other albums still (didnt realize they had a full band), but the simplicity of this album is almost its most endearing trait and its greatness stems from what he's able to do with that. Sure, its got solid lyrics, a good vocalist, and nice songwriter guitar work, but the combination of that is greater than the sum of its parts thanks to the sparseness of it.

Considering I dont think his music was all that popular in the grand scheme of things when his albums were released, I think he is pretty well known these days, sort of like Jeff Buckley 20 years after him.

Favorite tracks: Pink Moon, From The Morning, Place To Be, Free Ride, Know
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons