Top 10 Favorite songs

Started by the_other_sun, Mar 26, 2012, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MamaKel

So...It was impossible to do ten...and this is just the way I feel right now...tomorrow may be, and likely will be a different story...can we start doing "top 3" of the day...that would be easier...

1)I Will Be There When You Die
2)Strangulation
3)Hopefully
4)Honest Man
5)Cobra
6)Phone Went West
7)Magheetah
8)Golden
9)Master Plan
10)Steam Engine
11)Just One Thing
12)Knot Comes Loose
13)Dondante
14)Touch Me I'm Going To Scream pt.2
15)Thank You Too
16)Librarian
17)Smokin' from Shooting
18)Circuital
19)Wonderful
20)Holding on to Black Metal

MamaKel

P.S. Johnny Yac, we've got the same ear, buddy...well played sir :thumbsup:

Northern Neighbour

It's hard to pick 10 and then to rank them.  Anyway, my top 10 but not in any particular order:

• Gideon
  • Magheetah
  • Smokin' from Shootin'
  • Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
  • The Bear
  • Steam Engine
  • O is the One
  • Anytime
  • One Big Holiday
  • Phone Went West

headhunter

certainly in no particular order, and with apologies for all the great tunes I am leaving out ...

1. Steam Engine
2. Dondante
3. At Dawn
4. Phone Went West
5. I will be there when you die
6. xmas Curtain
7. One Big Holiday
8. Strangulation
9. Hopefully or Bermuda Highway
10. The Way That He Sings

ok and there are also 10 other mmj songs that make my top 10.  this is too hard.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

johnnYYac

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Mar 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
It's hard to pick 10 and then to rank them.  Anyway, my top 10 but not in any particular order:

• Gideon
  • Magheetah
  • Smokin' from Shootin'
  • Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt. 2
  • The Bear
  • Steam Engine
  • O is the One
  • Anytime
  • One Big Holiday
  • Phone Went West

Ooh.  I forgot about Smokin' and... hey, shouldn't you be down under, NN?  Or have you not left yet?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Northern Neighbour

We leave Friday evening!

johnnYYac

mahg33ta

surprised how few people list Golden.   3 out of 21 by my quick count.

It's the most or 2nd most played MMJ song live (BH? where are you?)  People just tired of it or is the band wasting their time?

johnnYYac

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 PM

It's the most or 2nd most played MMJ song live (BH? where are you?)  People just tired of it or is the band wasting their time?
Its a great song, but when Jim comes out with his acoustic, I'd prefer something rare.  I've always liked Bermuda Highway more, and I think the fact that Golden is probably second only to OBH in frequency is a likely reason it didn't make these lists.

headhunter

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 30, 2012, 12:27 PM

I kinda agree with Johnny but I never get tired of hearing Golden.  There are at least 20 songs that make my top 10 for mmj.  Golden deserves to be in there and it pained me not to include Anytime.  I love that tune and it's effect on my calf muscles during a show.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

hohomanofsteel

Phone Went West
Steam Engine
Dondante
Victory Dance
Touch Me Pt. 2
I Will Sing You Songs
Rollin' Back
Off the Record
Slow Slow Tune
One in the Same

SplatSplatSplat

Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
No question, I also belive that we would get along, I've never met an mmj fan I didn't like.  Oxen is a great song, I believe it used to be called "How Do You Know".  I could be wrong.   :bath:

Oxen was released on the Off The Record single as "How Could I Know" and sounds great being recorded all nice and fancy.  "How Do You Know" is off the Split EP. 

In the link below, there's a great little chat by JJ before they launch into Oxen where he specifically talks about how confusing it can be to have  two songs with similar titles.

Not sure if it's the same show you linked to...my browser said there was an error or the link was faulty.

Link here.
http://www.archive.org/download/http://archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16

EDIT - Link doesn't work well with archive.org.  It's the 05/28/04 show at The Opera House if you're interested.  Great show, great recording.  Highly recommended.
You need it.  That's for sure.

johnnYYac

Quote from: SplatSplatSplat on Apr 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
Quote from: sweatboard on Mar 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
No question, I also belive that we would get along, I've never met an mmj fan I didn't like.  Oxen is a great song, I believe it used to be called "How Do You Know".  I could be wrong.   :bath:

Oxen was released on the Off The Record single as "How Could I Know" and sounds great being recorded all nice and fancy.  "How Do You Know" is off the Split EP. 

In the link below, there's a great little chat by JJ before they launch into Oxen where he specifically talks about how confusing it can be to have  two songs with similar titles.

Not sure if it's the same show you linked to...my browser said there was an error or the link was faulty.

Link here.
http://www.archive.org/download/http://archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16
Teaching America... one person at a time!

You have to put Archive links in quotes, or else it (for some unknown, f-ed up reason) adds shit to the URL, which brings up the error.

So...

"http://archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16"

Pass it on.  Oh, and thanks for the link!  LMA is now  blocked at work, a recent phenomenon possibly brought on by me!   :thumbsup:

scosby2

i seriously dont even know where to start on this...i do know that my favorite three songs for whatever reasons are mahgeetah, dancefloors, and where to begin...followed closely by "holy", guilty pleasure i guess...and about golden, i think everyone here enjoys the song...just not a favorite. we do get to hear it an awful lot and i am like john, the first time he grabs the acoustic at shows we always know what he is gonna do so that may take a little off of the grandeur that is the song golden...i must say that it was one of the first three songs i did hear by them though and it is part of what got me into the band in the first place so that has to say something about how good of a song it is

Darkstarflashes

My top 10 would probably have to be 1, 2, & 3 with the rest in no particular order. Steam Engine, Dondante, & Phone Went West (live and the longer the better) will always be my favorites! Every time I download a new show from Internet Archives or from The Steam Engine, I always test it for its audio quality by playing one of those 3 songs first (usually Steam Engine). The drawn out jams are where I make my deepest connections.

1. Steam Engine
2. Dondante
3. Phone Went West
Master Plan
Magheetah
Smokin' From Shootin'
Death Is The Easy Way
I Will Be There When You Die
The Way That He Sings
Wordless Chorus

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 29, 2012, 10:38 AM
saw this thread and decided to figure it out last night... for the record, I did mine without seeing Ruckus's, but we are awfully close!!

1.  Where to Begin
2.  Steam Engine
3.  At Dawn
4.  Phone Went West
5.  Mahgeetah
6.  Gideon
7.  Smokin From Shootin
8.  Dancefloors
9.  Way that He Sings
10.  Bermuda Highway

on another day, might make the list:  Wonderful Man, Sooner, O is the One, Rollin Back
Just like the Tick eh? :thumbsup:

More Reverb!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

YungYave

In no particular order:
-The Bear
-It's About Twilight Now
-War Begun
-Death Is The Easy Way
-Phone Went West
-Dondante
-Master Plan
-Steam Engine
-Just One Thing
-Lay Low

Just missed the cut: Where To Begin, IWSYS, If All Else Fails, I Needed It Most, Remnants, Touch Me Pt. 1, Off The Record
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

HardNightConformist

1.) Dondante
2.) Steam Engine
3.) Circuital
4.) Victory Dance
5.) One In The Same
6.) Run Thru
7.) Smokin' From Shootin'
8.) By My Car
9.) Hopefully
10.) Dancefloors/Phone Went West/Wonderful/Golden/Gideon/Butch Cassidy/Easy Morning Rebel/Mahgeetah/Bermuda Highway/Death Is My Sleezy Pay

youreveningcoat19

Very new to the band but so far:

1. Phone Went West
2. Mahgeetah
3. One Big Holiday
4. Anytime
5. Lay Low
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Run Thru
8. Golden
9. Off The Record
10. It Beats For You

johnnYYac

Quote from: youreveningcoat19 on Jul 24, 2013, 10:11 PM
Very new to the band but so far:

1. Phone Went West
2. Mahgeetah
3. One Big Holiday
4. Anytime
5. Lay Low
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Run Thru
8. Golden
9. Off The Record
10. It Beats For You
You're off to a good start!