Jacket Bracket Attack 2012

Started by Ruckus, Oct 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

2. The Way That He Sings v. I Will Be There When You Die

this is really impossible...IWBTWYD is the first MMJ song I ever heard!....

1. Phone
2. Sings (classic, timeless, necessity at every show..never gets old ...never ever ever ever ever)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

zanjam

I was going to go PWW/IWBTWYD, but I think I have to go with

Wordless
TWTHS

I'm tired of Wordless, I really am...but it was one of my first loves.  And I absolutely LOVE PWW, but it doesn't really convey classic MMJ, IMO.  Wordless turned Stan into an uber-fan the second he heard it, and I get that.
anything + reverb always = better

vwxg14a

Round 4 Group 4 begins.  Last group before the Elite 8.

1. Phone Went West v. Wordless Chours

PWW and Wordless beats both of the 2nd part hands down.

I can honestly say, the 2nd show I went to, RCMH in 2007, the only song I did not know was PWW and was blown away.  That said, we are, the innovators, defines this band. 

My Morning Jacket - *Phone Went West* - Red Rocks (August 4, 2012)

My Morning Jacket - Wordless Chorus (Live on Letterman)

It think the are both on Steroids and I cannot vote for either. 

After I watched both and...

1. PWW

The second I feel equal about both...

My Morning Jacket The Way That He Sings Okonokos DVD 07

My morning jacket - I will be there when you die

2. The Way That He Sings

Man it will only get harder from here.
Pops, Langerado, Lollapalooza, RCMH, Miami Beach, MSG, St Aug, T5.

EverythingChanges

Phone Went West
The Way That He Sings
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

jaye

That Red Rocks PWW is unreal.  I think I had an out of body experience hearing Jim from about 7:29 - 8:19 :shocked:

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

LeanneP

1. Wordless Chorus
2. The Way That He Sings

I prefer Phone to Wordless, but I think Wordless is a better song overall. And IWBTWYD is a really gorgeous song, but TWTHS is sort of a personal manifesto from JJ.
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

cy

Phone Went West
I Will Be There When You Die

HansAndreas

1. Phone Went West
2. The Way That He Sings

Jon T.

Haldon

exist10z

This is easily the most difficult 4 for me, and I have been holding off voting.  With some of the other difficult choices, and the past two weeks has all been difficult, I was able to come to fairly quick and concise decisions.  There was just one of the pair or group I couldn't not vote for, hence my entreaties for certain songs (Mahgeetah), it's not here - it's almost impossible to not vote for any of these and I have almost no preference.  Suffice to say, I won't be lobbying for a particular song from this group, because I can completely understand voting for the other options.

That said, even as one of my very favorite and with the amazing Red Rocks version fresh in my mind, I am going to vote against Phone.  I love the reggae vibe that outside the box aspect is what makes it one of their best.  But, Wordless was probably my first favorite Jacket song, as Z was the first album I heard.  Plus, breaking the tie, Wordless is my wife's favorite Jacket song, and she only likes maybe a half-dozen anyway, so that has to count for something.  TWHS gets the nod, only because my preference is for rockers over folkers, but I love them both.  IWBTWYD is maybe my favorite folker in the whole catalogue, but I can't get shake (thankfully) the memory of TWHS at the Wiltern.

:cry:

- Wordless Chorus
- The Way He Sings
Sisyphus - Just rollin' that rock up the hill, and hoping it doesn't crush me on the way back down..

Tutofqueens

mahg33ta

robb

1. Phone Went West
2. I Will Be There When You Die
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

woodnymph

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 06, 2012, 08:49 AM
Quote from: LeanneP on Dec 06, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 06, 2012, 08:45 AM
Round 4 Group 3 is closed.

One Big Holiday 20 - Where to Begin 8
Dondante 21 - Strangulation 16

Is that right Ruckus? 28 votes total for the first option and 37 for the second?  Do we need a recount up in here?!  (j/k - you do an awesome job running this thing)

Well, one way or another, all is right with the world with OBH and Dondante winning that round.
woodnymph abstained on the 2nd matchup and thanks for the heads up on the first.   :beer:

Had to go it the middle road man.... hahah there was no answer to that.
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Quote from: jaye on Dec 06, 2012, 02:33 PM
That Red Rocks PWW is unreal.  I think I had an out of body experience hearing Jim from about 7:29 - 8:19 :shocked:
Next time someone's at Red Rocks MMJ when I can't be there, if you have an out of body experience, please alert me so that I may take over the vessel for those couple minutes!  :lipsrsealed:

OK, I still don't know if I can make decisions... maybe I should have stayed out of the thread after all  :undecided: But, let's see....

Guess I might try

1. Phone Went West (strongly encouraging the group to do more slightly reggae riddims... or more blatant ones!) and
2. I Will Be There When You Die (Wearing a Sombrero)  The Way That He Sings was the first song that hooked me to the MMJ fishing line. I had no idea what he was singing everytime I heard it on public radio, and I never cared, I just loved it. Until one day I needed to at least find out the name of the song. Then upon finding out that it wasn't the words that he said, or the band.................... the rest is herstory. Oh, but um... I Will Be There When You Die hugs my heart and tugs all the heartstrings around, in a serious way. Figuring that I shouldn't duck out of TWO votes.... (tho I can't promise it won't happen again in the future) I'll go with IWBT.

I may not be able to keep going as we near the end picks, tho.  :embarrassed:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

CHIMMJFAN

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 AM

1. Phone Went West v. Wordless Chours

Ok, here we go:
1. Phone Went West
2. I Will Be There When You Die

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

APR

1. Phone Went West
2. The Way That He Sings

manonthemoon

1. Phone Went West