regions of light and sound of god

Started by baconus66, Nov 12, 2012, 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

The single seems groovy for lack of a better word.  I'm hoping that some of the album has a little more guitar in it.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

Mr. White

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 12, 2012, 08:32 PM
The single seems groovy for lack of a better word.  I'm hoping that some of the album has a little more guitar in it.

I agree. I do like the feel of this new song from Jim, but I need to hear his guitar. I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of great songs on the new album that will let his playing shine. At least I hope so... Still, Know Til Now is a good taste for us all. This new album will be special.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Mr. White on Nov 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 12, 2012, 08:32 PM

I agree. I do like the feel of this new song from Jim, but I need to hear his guitar. I'm pretty sure there will be a couple of great songs on the new album that will let his playing shine. At least I hope so... Still, Know Til Now is a good taste for us all. This new album will be special.

Yep, agreed! I do like the new single and it is growing on me more and more.  I have lots of faith in JJ.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

sweatboard

I felt like I could follow the arch of musical influnces throughout the song...PHJB, George Harrison, Marvin Gay, etc. etc.  I just hope he doesn't abandon his music to hang out with the Dalai Lama....or stay on his cell-phone with him forever.   :smiley:
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I like the "how sweet it could be" refrence. 

No question in my mind that every single sound on this record is purely Jim....and that is so awesome....truly in the most beautiful way A SOLO ALBUM!!!

sweatboard

just the :43-:58 sec alone you get the "hey" and the falseto and the reverb.  This song really is a "tour" through Jim James land.   

The contrast of how in your lap and passionate he is live, and how distant he is in this video is intersting. 

BH

Quote from: sweatboard on Nov 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
I like the "how sweet it could be" refrence. 

No question in my mind that every single sound on this record is purely Jim....and that is so awesome....truly in the most beautiful way, A SOLO ALBUM!!!

Just listened for the first time and FINALLY another Jim production!   Right?   We've been waiting for that haven't we.   Mmmmmmmmm.    So good.    He needs to produce everything from now on.   MMJ releases and all.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

He has a knack for subtelty like no other.

sweatboard

I'm in LOVE with his SOUL it's a meaning that I Understand.....

Guitar is meaningless at this point

ManNamedTruth

Not really a surprise for me like others, we should all know by now Jim's penchant for soul and funkiness. The album will probably be all over the place. Probably will preorder just the vinyl, I can do without a Jim James keychain and bag.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

I'm hopeing for a flying V style cockring next time.....

but, I tend to like my "Merch" with the slight potential of being illegal. 

sweatboard

how do you combine the flaming lips with marvin gay?  ask this song!

sweatboard

I remember when Kut Cobain died...I always thought year after year..."what would he have had to say this year".  It kind of seems like this is Jim's song where he is coming to terms with his loss of Aaron in a new way from Don Dante.  It seems like a second stage of letting go

A healthy way of moving on. 

Thank You Jim.  I Wanna Give You a Big Hug!!!

sweatboard

Quote from: LeanneP on Nov 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Quote from: Fully on Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
On the jimjames website, I just noticed the creepy video of Jim that reminds me of the last seconds of The Blair Witch project - until it looks like he takes a phone call. I'm still haunted by those last seconds of that movie. Watch out, Jim!

Yes!  That`s incredibly creepy!  Is he talking on a cell phone or something?

I LOVED this song!  And I'm redonkulously stoked to hear the rest of the album. (Tho, I can't be the only one who has a mild allergic reaction to the "God" bit in the title, can I?)

Jim sounds like he's the kind of guy who keeps a notebook with scraps of stuff pasted in it, drawings, notes to himself, bits of lyrics, photos, etc. You know that kind of notebook? This song sounds like it's a bit like one of those kinds of notebook pages, but in aural form.

I love that he takes a handful of this sort of music, a handful of that, recreated samples of another kind and stitches them together in overlapping layers to make something new. I find those sounds so exciting. It's like collage for the ears (and the the heart and the soul). Or a pair of your favourite jeans that have been patched so many times, with so many wonderful and different coloured bits of fabric, that they really aren't jeans anymore, more a piece of art.

It doesn't bother me when Jim uses the word GOD because I know he is talking about a universal spirit that guides us all, regardless of religion.

I feel God, I have a distaste for religion. 

sweatboard

The woodblock, whether cut with a knife or engraved, develops its image by bringing details out of darkness into the light. This seems to give it an advantage over ways of working that start with an empty white area. In a sense, what is happening is already there in the darkness, and cutting the block involves letting only enough light into the field of vision to reveal what is going on. .... The measuring stick, if anyone is making a list of what is or is not a pictorial narrative, is whether the communication of what is and what is happening is accomplished entirely or predominantly in visual terms. .... It has always been a matter of some surprise to me that this process can go on for a considerable period and all take place silently. I hear no sound; there is never a word spoken.

sweatboard

It is usually assumed, and it is certainly implicit in the complaint about the subject of the young writer's first novel, that there is inevitably a close correspondence between between what happens to the character in the novel and the experiences of the young writer himself. However this may be true of writers, any comparable assumption about the experiences of the young artist in my first book and my own personal life is quite unwarranted. Every young artist knows the painful part of being a young artist, not only from what happens to himself and his friends, but also from what that encounter has been like for artists of earlier generations. And anyone who has pondered the curious and often self-defeating combinations of human qualities, or wondered at the way seeds of talent have been scattered so blindly among mankind must eventually confront the curious and inexplicable circumstance that this obscure process has repeatedly produced highly gifted individuals whose talent burns early and with a fierce light, but who seem thereby fated to give up something in return. It is almost as if they had made a bargain without reading the fine print.

sweatboard

stackjacket

I KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE DIFFERENT!!!!! its funky and if thats him on the sax, he.. has improved greatley... Cant wait !!! I think this is gona be a little ok computer for jim.

weeniebeenie

I like it. I think it will get better every time I listen. I can't wait for the album!
How loud can silence get?