That thing where you hit shuffle and list your first 10 songs...

Started by Tracy 2112, Nov 14, 2012, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Stormtroopin' - Nugent

Nice to see another Nuge fan. Back in the day, when musicians just played and didn't spout of their political beliefs, he was one of my conduits for teen angst. Love me some Stormtroopin'

I agree. I wore out Disc 2's Side 4 of Double Live Gonzo, and I didn't even own a copy (I wore out my best friend's double-LP). Actually, we rarely listened to the other sides. That is fucked up now that I think of it (after 30 odd years).

Tracy, I can't play this game. I don't like shuffle, and I still own the original 5-disc Sony CD player.

BTW Tracy, I hope when you hit shuffle again, some other Canuck tunes that you probably listened to back in your angst-filled youth are cued up by the likes of Max Webster, Triumph, April Wine, and Saga? If you got Trooper in there, I'll give you extra bonus points!

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 25, 2015, 07:50 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Nov 14, 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Stormtroopin' - Nugent

Nice to see another Nuge fan. Back in the day, when musicians just played and didn't spout of their political beliefs, he was one of my conduits for teen angst. Love me some Stormtroopin'

I agree. I wore out Disc 2's Side 4 of Double Live Gonzo, and I didn't even own a copy (I wore out my best friend's double-LP). Actually, we rarely listened to the other sides. That is fucked up now that I think of it (after 30 odd years).

Tracy, I can't play this game. I don't like shuffle, and I still own the original 5-disc Sony CD player.

BTW Tracy, I hope when you hit shuffle again, some other Canuck tunes that you probably listened to back in your angst-filled youth are cued up by the likes of Max Webster, Triumph, April Wine, and Saga? If you got Trooper in there, I'll give you extra bonus points!

Only Triumph and April Wine survived  :undecided:
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

gardenparty

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows
is there actually a song by this name?  if so I want to hear it.  Love the album

Notwist - One Step Inside
Beck - Modern Guilt
::thinkstandard:: - If you are the one to take me home
Gomez - We Haven't Turned Around
Eels - Wooden Nickels
Radiohead - MK1
Herbie Hancock - Watermelon Man
Blueneck - the Last Refuge
Arms & Sleepers - Rire Jaune
Beastie Boys - Transitions

buaawwww

J Roddy & The Business - "Caroline"
Tom Waits - "2:19"
Anders Osborne & NMA - "Away, Way Too Long"
Lucero - "On The Way Back Home"
Trampled By Turtles - "Whiskey"
Faith No More "Sol Invictus"
The Kills - "Pots & Pans"
Clutch - "Pigtown Blues"
Black Pistol Fire - "Hipster Shakes"
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "Let The Day Begin"

dookie shoot bandit

Johnny Cash - just one more
Mmj - el Caporal
Mmj- PWW (obh 2)
Pearl Jam - mind your manners
Bright Eyes - lover I don't have to love
Kanye - I'm in it
SpongeBob - my tighty whiteys (hahaha yes my kids invade my iPod)
Foxygen - oh no
Bob Dylan - moonshiner
Lcd Soundsystem - daft punk is playing at my house

sillyboob

MMJ – Tyrone  live from OBH1
Ride – Nowhere  live
MMJ – O Is The One That Is Real
INXS – Beautiful Girl
The Antlers – Two
MMJ – I Will Be There When You Die  live from OBH2
Siouxsie & The Banshees – Scarecrow
Dead Kennedys – Kill The Poor
Pulp – Lipgloss
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers – American Girl
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

dondante24

Band of Horses - No Ones Gonna Love You
Coldplay - Yellow
Wilco - Jesus, etc
DMB - Time Bomb
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Umphrey's McGee - Miami Virtue
DMB - Joyride
MMJ - Into the Woods
Sublime - Santeria
Radiohead - House of Cards

rincon2

Springsteen- I'll work for our love
Uncle Tupelo-Take My Word
Pearl Jam- Betterman live at state college Pa.
R.E.M.- Walters Theme
Jean Luc Ponty- N FAN Mot
Freedy Johnson-If It's True
Crowded House- World Where You Live
Big Audio Dynamite- James Brown
Elton John- Better Off Dead live 1976
Death Cab For Cutie- A Movie Script Ending

No MMJ until #13, and I have 45 files between albums and shows. Biggest coincidence is my first album ever was Honkey Chateau by Elton John, and Jean Luc Ponty was on that, and the first I ever heard of him.

ffghtrs

The Avett Brothers.  The Perfect Space
Smashing Pumpkins,  That's The Way (My Love Is)
Mumford and Sons, Timshel
Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings, Money
Bob Dylan, Working Man Blues #2
M. Ward, Rave On
Jimi Hendrix,  Hey Baby, In From The Storm [LIVE]
Bob Marley, No Water
Phish, AC/DC Bag
Elliot Smith, New Monkey

but i have to continue for a few more because of how great a ride into work i had.

Bruce Springsteen, You're Missing so excellent
Portugal, The Man, Holy Roller (Hallelujah)
Leonard Cohen, Hey, that's no was to say goodbye
Jessica Lea Mayfield, Anything You Want
and finally
Mudcrutch, Lover of The Bayou

so that Jimi tune blew my mind.  the boss i'm a not a big fan of but i love that song now that i just heard it can't wait to tell my friend who gave me that album that i love that song.  and well it was just a great fifteen tracks and i felt like everyone should know how good i feel right now!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

rincon2

I think the real thing about this is this question. And it is more relevant the larger your digital music collection is. "Do these 10 random shuffled songs represent your musical tastes?" I have 744 albums according to iTunes, on my computer. About 20 are compilations. I would guess, having complete collections of bands like The Who, MMJ, Springsteen, The Jayhawks, and almost complete Beatles, Stones, Neil, Floyd, etc. there must me at least 350 artists in that 744 albums. Does your random playlist represent your musical tastes in YOUR OWN MIND? To me, mine simply indicates I am a bit eclectic, and not a big fan of corporate 70's rock, which was the mainstream music of my teen years.

P.S. On second thought, no one I know has near complete Neil Young, as he has released more albums in 50 years than that amount of years. But I got me a bunch.

SouthernBelle

Sorry but I can't do this because I never listen to shuffle... I only listen to full albums all way through, without even shuffling, only repeating.  :cheesy:
It's funny how your lights are off but your music's on.

sillyboob

Quote from: SouthernBelle on Jun 04, 2015, 11:07 AM
Sorry but I can't do this because I never listen to shuffle... I only listen to full albums all way through, without even shuffling, only repeating.  :cheesy:

That's some impressive discipline.  I could never do that, I have the attention span of - oh look - a squirrel!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Mr. White

Quote from: SouthernBelle on Jun 04, 2015, 11:07 AM

Me too! I don't think I have ever used shuffle before...I don't think...

The closest I've come to doing that is to create a homemade greatest hits or a mix tape/CD.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

I'm an album guy, too, but shuffle is pretty great and reminds me of gems I'd forgotten were on my phone or PC.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

rincon2

Shuffle is best utilized wham you know you are listening to a particular artist way too much, you need to get back into the rest of your digital collection, and are just too lazy to make a choice. Don't do it often, but it sometimes serves a real purpose.

johnnYYac

Quote from: rincon2 on Jun 05, 2015, 03:10 PM
Shuffle is best utilized when you know you are listening to a particular artist way too much, you need to get back into the rest of your digital collection, and are just too lazy to make a choice. Don't do it often, but it sometimes serves a real purpose.
Who could that apply to?  :rolleyes:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 04, 2015, 09:13 PM
I'm an album guy, too, but shuffle is pretty great and reminds me of gems I'd forgotten were on my phone or PC.

I do both as well.  I have an 80Gig Ipod so I can load that thing up with a few songs (I think I'm over 20K now) so it's pretty nice to just put that on shuffle when we're hanging out with friends or if I'm going on walks with my dogs or on brew days...  :beer:

Jaimoe

I must say that I did my own manual shuffle while walking 30-minutes to the gym the other day. I shuffled through cuts from The Stooges's Fun House and Raw Power, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre's Take It From the Man!.

parkervb

Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 08, 2015, 09:16 AM
I must say that I did my own manual shuffle while walking 30-minutes to the gym the other day. I shuffled through cuts from The Stooges's Fun House and Raw Power, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre's Take It From the Man!.

Stooges make for great gym music.
Don't you ever turn it off

Jaimoe

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 08, 2015, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Jun 08, 2015, 09:16 AM

Stooges make for great gym music.

And power-walking pre-gym music. So do TBJM.