Stan The Man

Started by rincon2, Jan 20, 2013, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Stan Musial died today, as did the great manager of the Baltimore Orioles, Earl Weaver. Stan was the keystone player of the golden age. He was a contemporary of Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams, but equally a contemporary of Mantle, Mays, and Aaron. He is less known than all of these icons, but in many peoples minds he is equal, if not better, than them. A true ICON has passed, and by all accounts, one of, if not the, greatest individual human being in the Hall Of Fame. :beer:

YimYodd

Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 20, 2013, 02:01 AM
Stan Musial, by all accounts, one of, if not the, greatest individual human being in the Hall Of Fame. :beer:

Well said,rincon2.
I grew up a huge STL fan, starting in late '60s by following back to back WS teams featuring great future HOFs Bob Gibson & Lou Brock. I would hear of this 'Stan the Man' constantly on Cardinal broadcasts and saw him on a tv interview. Little 'old' guy, balding, restuarant owner who would play the harmonica ( I think he owned a Budweiser distributorship also) - he didn't impress me as much of an athlete compared  to my 2 heroes mentioned above.
As I got older and started going to games at Busch Stadium I learned of the true greatness of the Man, on and off the field. He played the game w such grace and class. Great defensively, hit for average and power, RBI guy, AllStar at multiple positions.
Consistantly great - 1815 carreer hits @ home, 1815 on the road , totalling 4th
highest hit total in MLB history!
First ballot HOFamer!
Wonderful community leader for all these years after that  fabulous career - doing charity work along w his beloved wife, interacting w fans @ his restaurant, ambassador for the game worldwide.

RIP Stan the Man - This Bud's for You :beer:
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

ManNamedTruth

He was born in my mother's hometown of Donora, PA, R.I.P. Stan.  :beer:
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

RIP Stan.   AN amazing baseball player and an even better human being.

I've had pretty good success with Stan (Musial) by throwing him my best pitch and backing up third."
- Carl Erskine

"He could have hit .300 with a fountain pen."
- Joe Garagiola
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.