Started by yakeroo, Apr 30, 2013, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Fully on Jul 01, 2013, 07:31 AM
Quote from: ericm on Jul 01, 2013, 07:12 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jul 01, 2013, 12:05 AM
Quote from: ericm on Jun 30, 2013, 11:24 PM
Quote from: Colfax on Jun 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
i can't believe there are no tapers. Suck it Dylan!

:huh:    Not sure we'd be getting this tour if it weren't for Dylan.

Still doesn't change the fact that Dylan needs to get his panties out of a bunch.

Says you. He's the headliner of the tour and calls the shots. I don't think I've read one quote from anyone who's been to a show who's complaining about seeing MMJ or Wilco live this summer. Not one about the shows, or about how many cell phones and cameras they had to peer through to see.

In what was supposed to be an "off" year, we're getting to see some live Jacket shows. Would it be great if there were some recordings floating around for those of us not at one of these shows? Sure, but it's not going to get me upset if there's not.

If not getting recordings is the price to pay for getting some live MMJ this summer, then I'll gladly pay it.

I'll finish up with this Jason Isbell quote I found, ( that I totally agree with, btw) and posted in the other bands thread.

Great quote from the NYTimes article :

Isbell reserves special scorn for people who record his shows on cellphones and post clips to YouTube. "It's an intrusion because I'm not performing for documentation's sake, I'm performing for people's ears and their eyeballs," he said. "I don't mind the scrutiny of it. We're good every night. I just feel like people aren't participating in the community of the room when they're behaving that way."

He shook his head. "My favorite thing about going to concerts has always been looking around and thinking that there's a lot of people in here that are very much like me, a lot of people in here I could have a full conversation with. I might even get laid in this room. You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cellphone."

EricM is correct. There are quite a few Dylan fans at these shows. I sure wouldn't say anything like that to them. The man has earned the right to call the shots at his own shows. Trust me, Jim and Jeff Tweedy both know what being on this tour does for their stature as artists. Years from now this tour will be a notch on their résumé that people will mention to show what respected artists they are and it isn't because Wilco and MMJ went on tour together. It's all because a legend like Dylan thought enough of them that he invited them to be on the bill. Whether you like Dylan or his policies does not matter. M. Ward really doesn't like them either, and there see probably lots of other artists who it annoys as well. While I appreciate videos of shows, I really prefer to not take my camera out and snap lots of pics. I like to enjoy the moment while I'm there. While I appreciate watching videos of shows I didn't get to go to or ones where I was there and want to relive, it annoys the crap out of me to be beside someone who tapes the entire show. Is there really a need to get another video of Wonderful? There are millions of them on the Internet now. But mostly, it's about showing respect to someone's artistic stature who doesn't want pictures and videos taken and feels strongly enough about it to make it an important part of the show experience.

I see your point, and yes Dylan deserves to call the shots, but I still can't help but view him as a grumpy old man.

I don't record at shows, I prefer to enjoy the moment and watch from my eye not a camera lense. However, if one person records here or there it won't ruin anyone's day. Perhaps what bothers me is the lack of collaborations with Dylan. Sure he lets wilco and jacket tour with him, but he also lets tons of other acts do that as well. Last time jacket toured with him he kicked them out! Idc how much of a legend you are, it doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it. This tour screams collaborations, but Dylan isn't open-minded enough to let it happen. However, I'd love for him to surprise me.

Sure you guys can stick up for the man all you want, but from everything I hear about him, I can't help but seem him as pompous.

From the reviews it sounds like Weir is more enjoyable than Dylan. Actually, if both of them swapped places, I bet a lot of us on here wouldn't be upset.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

BigHerm

I thought it sucked when I first heard no cameras allowed and then I was like.... This is brilliant, not a million fucking cellphones everywhere.

I loved it.

Great show, great set from MMJ. War Begun :cheesy:

bartel

Fully

Quote from: BigHerm on Jul 01, 2013, 09:11 AM
I thought it sucked when I first heard no cameras allowed and then I was like.... This is brilliant, not a million fucking cellphones everywhere.

I loved it.

It was pretty brilliant if you ask me.;) takes me back to when you went to a show and there weren't cameras all over the place.

Stevie

Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Jul 01, 2013, 01:18 AM
This feels right:

Wonderful
Circuital
Masterplan
First light
Slow slow tune
War begun
It beats 4 u
Brown eyed women (w/ bob weir)
I know you rider (w/ bob weir)
Victory dance
Mahgeetah
Gideon

So was this a full War Begun or was it Slow>Ending of War Begun like the first stop on the tour?

parkervb

Quote from: Fully on Jul 01, 2013, 09:17 AM

I loved it.

It was pretty brilliant if you ask me.;) takes me back to when you went to a show and there weren't cameras all over the place.

I'm a huge fan of this. Jack White did the same thing when I saw him last year.
Don't you ever turn it off

ericm

Quote from: parkervb on Jul 01, 2013, 10:08 AM

I loved it.

Amen, and a big hallelujah to this!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Here's hoping more bands, and venues follow suit.  :cool:  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Colfax

yeah, I'll throw in my hat and sound like an old white guy complaining about cell phone videos and pictures throughout a show. I don't like it either and think it's largely silly.

I was simply lamenting the fact that there are no tapers there to capture these great once-in-a-lifetime collaborations.

I'm just happy I got to see one of these shows with Bobby.

and fwiw, the staff at Lakewood was running around doing their best to ruin everyone's show to enforce this. People who were checking what time it was or just texting or whatever were bothered by roving bands of staff. It was a little excessive.

ericm

Quote from: Colfax on Jul 01, 2013, 11:46 AM
yeah, I'll throw in my hat and sound like an old white guy complaining about cell phone videos and pictures throughout a show. I don't like it either and think it's largely silly.

I was simply lamenting the fact that there are no tapers there to capture these great once-in-a-lifetime collaborations.

I'm just happy I got to see one of these shows with Bobby.

and fwiw, the staff at Lakewood was running around doing their best to ruin everyone's show to enforce this. People who were checking what time it was or just texting or whatever were bothered by roving bands of staff. It was a little excessive.

I prefer to think of myself more a "seasoned vet" than old.  :wink:  :grin:

There were tapers at these shows from what I'm hearing.  The West Palm show is already up on archive, and I'm sure more audio will follow.

Glad you got to see Bobby, and I sure wish he was opening one of the shows I'm going to. A bit bummed he's only doing the first four, but glad for MMJ that they got to jam with him, and for all the fans that got to see it. Here's hoping it leads to something more down the road. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

bhyman

I'm not a big fan of cell phone tapers at all, so I am ok with the no videotaping rule as long as they permit real audio tapers.

Were the video screens working at the Nashville show? Was the no videotaping rule the reason why they did not have the large screens operating at Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta? That seems kind of crappy to the people that paid for a lawn ticket.

e_wind

No one has said it yet so I will... The wilco set was half amazing and half shit. Was it just where I was standing or was the sound really jacked up?

At the same time... misunderstood was the highlight of the night for me, along with MMJ/weir brown eyed women
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

bartel

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 01, 2013, 12:27 PM
No one has said it yet so I will... The wilco set was half amazing and half shit. Was it just where I was standing or was the sound really jacked up?

At the same time... misunderstood was the highlight of the night for me, along with MMJ/weir brown eyed women

can someone give me the wilco setlist from last night? the sound was shit? or the wilco songs were shit?

Shug

A fan from the Wilco board reports this with the caveat that it might not be the right sequence:

Blood of the Lamb
Airline to heaven
Mountain Bed
Side with the seeds
Misunderstood
Bird Song > Tomorrow Never Knows (with Bob Weir)
Laminated cat
Born alone
Impossible Germany
Jesus Etc.
Hoodoo Voodoo
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

bartel

thus far this tour is bringing out the best with MMJ and Wilco. this was posted on the wilco FB page.

Blood of the Lamb
Remember the Mountain Bed
Side with the Seeds
Misunderstood
Art of Almost
Jesus, Etc.
Bird Song - Grateful Dead cover, w/ Bob Weir
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles cover, w/ Bob Weir
Passenger Side
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Laminated Cat
Hoodoo Voodoo

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Shug

Quote from: bartel on Jul 01, 2013, 12:43 PM
thus far this tour is bringing out the best with MMJ and Wilco. this was posted on the wilco FB page.

Blood of the Lamb
Remember the Mountain Bed
Side with the Seeds
Misunderstood
Art of Almost
Jesus, Etc.
Bird Song - Grateful Dead cover, w/ Bob Weir
Tomorrow Never Knows - The Beatles cover, w/ Bob Weir
Passenger Side
Impossible Germany
Born Alone
Laminated Cat
Hoodoo Voodoo

The Wilco facebook page poster has been getting the setlists wrong lately.  I think they are using the written setlist, but the band is changing the set mid show.  Wilco fans can be pretty anal-rentitive about stuff, so I'd guess the setlist the fan wrote down is more accurate, but I don't know for sure.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

TheThird

Quote from: ericm on Jul 01, 2013, 10:55 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Jul 01, 2013, 10:08 AM

I loved it.

Amen, and a big hallelujah to this!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Here's hoping more bands, and venues follow suit.  :cool:  :beer:

I must say, it was really nice to not have a bunch of little screens and flashes in your face for the entire day. I'd be ok if that became the norm for shows.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

TheThird

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 01, 2013, 12:27 PM

I noticed this too. It almost sounded muddied or something. Still, for my first Wilco show, it was amazing. I'm definitely a fan now!
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Mingus Rude

I also thought that Wilco sounded like shit in Atlanta .Thought it might be the venue
That was the first time I ever thought that after seeing them 10 times .
Extended Weir Jam ate up to much of a short set.

justbcuzido

So based on the review below, Dylan had a guest appearance by the mcCrary sisters during his encore. Sad that he has other musicians play with him, but not anyone he is touring with. Maybe that's his way of warming up to collaborating with other people. Maybe by the time this tour gets to Chicago there will be collabs. Also, would've been cool if Jack White came out and played with MMJ.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2013/07/01/bob-weir-joins-wilco-and-my-morning-jacket-at-his-final-americanarama-show#.UdHaPTu1F8E
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.