ROLL CALL- AmericanaramA ona river - Nashvile, TN 6/30/13

Started by yakeroo, Apr 30, 2013, 11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scosby2

After watching Dylan for two nights, I must say I agree with Jim's comment of it being a romantic experience but past that I look at it as more if a comedown from the MMJ show...I usually feel like I've been ran over by a truck after an mmj show and after an MMJ+Wilco show it feels more like a semi...it's kinda nice to sit back and relax after our guys get done...2 great very different shows this weekend by our boys, can't wait to see what they have in store for us in T-town...I tweeted Tom to make sure Pooch has his houndstooth hat on like he did in 2011...

ericm

Quote from: scosby2 on Jul 01, 2013, 05:13 PM
After watching Dylan for two nights, I must say I agree with Jim's comment of it being a romantic experience but past that I look at it as more if a comedown from the MMJ show...I usually feel like I've been ran over by a truck after an mmj show and after an MMJ+Wilco show it feels more like a semi...it's kinda nice to sit back and relax after our guys get done...2 great very different shows this weekend by our boys, can't wait to see what they have in store for us in T-town...I tweeted Tom to make sure Pooch has his houndstooth hat on like he did in 2011...

That's a great way of looking at the shows, Seth. It's pretty much how I was going to take them in also.  :thumbsup: Especially since there's no rotating of the bands. With Jacket going on before Wilco, and Dylan, it's pedal to the metal from the get go for me. Hit a nice cruising pace for Wilco, and then drop it into neutral and let it coast a little while during Dylan.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Sheets Of Clay

TheThird

[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

Sheets Of Clay

Fully

Quote from: TheThird on Jul 01, 2013, 06:23 PM
Quote from: Sheets Of Clay on Jul 01, 2013, 05:43 PM
Did anybody see this poster at the venue?

Was this for sale?!
He might be selling them but they were not being sold inside the venue. Try did have merch people walking up to the people waiting at the rail and sold the shitty tour poster they have. MMJ does have a new shirt that's gray and doesn't have so much crappy vinyl iron on design on it so it's cooler temp wise and it looks really nice.

APR

MASTERPLAN...so lucky! On one hand I love that it is played only on occasion because it makes it that much more special when they do play it.  On the other hand, it's one of my favorite songs, and I wish they would play it more often. 

Anu

I know photography is frowned at on this tour, but I am not a 'professional' per se but did bring a decent smaller camera in & will post some pics later.

The Grateful Jacket was one of my greatest concert experiences ever, just those two songs. It was like it was destined to happen since before our MMJ boys were even born. During some of the jammier moments, the way the rest of the Jacket focused attention & intuition on Weir was just chill-bump inducing. The almost acapella harmonies at the end of Rider with Bob, Carl, & Jim singing to the center of my gut, that was so phenomenal I just want to cry thinking I actually got to see it!

AmericanaJamma is more like it if you ask me. Wow, just wow!

This Nashville Scene article did a good job capturing the spirit of the night.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2013/07/01/americanarama-at-the-lawn-at-riverfront-park-63013

Mr. White

Here is a short review of the show in The Tennessean. There are 15 pro-shot photos showing the long, slow line to get in the park, a few of MMJ, Wilco, and Dylan, and several of the audience from various view points.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/06/30/bob-dylans-music-soars-over-nashville-skyline-again/
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

rincon2

Quote from: ericm on Jul 01, 2013, 07:12 AM
Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jul 01, 2013, 12:05 AM
Quote from: ericm on Jun 30, 2013, 11:24 PM
Quote from: Colfax on Jun 30, 2013, 10:47 PM
i can't believe there are no tapers. Suck it Dylan!

:huh:    Not sure we'd be getting this tour if it weren't for Dylan.

Still doesn't change the fact that Dylan needs to get his panties out of a bunch.

Says you. He's the headliner of the tour and calls the shots. Dylan deserves the respect he's earned after 50 years of putting out music! I don't think I've read one quote from anyone who's been to a show who's complaining about seeing MMJ or Wilco live this summer. Not one about the shows, or about how many cell phones and cameras they had to peer through to see.

Would it be great if there were some recordings floating around for those of us not at one of these shows? Sure, but it's not going to get me upset if there's not.

In what was supposed to be an "off" year, we're getting to see some live Jacket shows.
If not getting recordings is the price to pay for getting some live MMJ this summer, then I'll gladly pay it.

I'll finish up with this Jason Isbell quote I found, ( that I totally agree with, btw) and posted in the other bands thread.

Great quote from the NYTimes article :

Isbell reserves special scorn for people who record his shows on cellphones and post clips to YouTube. "It's an intrusion because I'm not performing for documentation's sake, I'm performing for people's ears and their eyeballs," he said. "I don't mind the scrutiny of it. We're good every night. I just feel like people aren't participating in the community of the room when they're behaving that way."

He shook his head. "My favorite thing about going to concerts has always been looking around and thinking that there's a lot of people in here that are very much like me, a lot of people in here I could have a full conversation with. I might even get laid in this room. You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cellphone."
Well, Jason has certainly earned the right to express his opinion. I feel it is a far from black and white issue. When I go on you tube and see all these amazing performances made from a fricken phone, I feel like I have experienced something I otherwise never would have a chance to experience. I can relive a performance I was at, on my HDTV. I am guilty of being that asshole on occasion. I did 2 songs at a Jim James show that was only about 8% or less of the show, but I think one in particular is pretty good, and will treasure it the rest of my life. I don't get in anyones way, and am very selective. So, when a guy who makes his living doing the same thing night after night dismisses a fan who wants to capture a moment, I think his perception is a bit skewed. Fuckers who do the whole show, and are intrusive, deserve his scorn.Just not clear where the line is.

rjlemons

Quote from: Anu on Jul 01, 2013, 08:12 PM
The Grateful Jacket was one of my greatest concert experiences ever, just those two songs. It was like it was destined to happen since before our MMJ boys were even born. During some of the jammier moments, the way the rest of the Jacket focused attention & intuition on Weir was just chill-bump inducing. The almost acapella harmonies at the end of Rider with Bob, Carl, & Jim singing to the center of my gut, that was so phenomenal I just want to cry thinking I actually got to see it!

AmericanaJamma is more like it if you ask me. Wow, just wow!
^^This, exactly.  :thumbsup:  I've wanted to post a review but I've been speechlessly in awe. I just feel like my life is now complete after experiencing this! Such pure bliss it was. I'll miss Mr. Weir at the Memphis show tonight.

Mr. White

Bob Weir

Carl

Jim and Bo

Band Shots

The Band With Bob Weir

Wilco

No Bob Dylan

(except for the few in this link I posted earlier)

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2013/07/01/review-bob-dylan-in-nashville-lives-up-to-fans-expectations/

Mr. White

Anu

Thanks Mr. White for all the pics & linkage!

Here is my photoset. Forgive (& enjoy) the fun I had editing a couple of these.

I have all my FB set to public, so I hope everyone can see this.

https://www.facebook.com/andrewwilliamsmith/media_set?set=a.10151701381945673.1073741844.622405672&type=3

Mr. White

After recently re-listening to the taper audio I have of this show, I realized I had some footage I never uploaded because it was too loud from my cheap camera. I have now matched the taper audio with my video of "I Know You Rider" with Bob Weir. I also have footage of "War Begun" but will have to do some creative editing before uploading it.

My Morning Jacket
"I Know You Rider" (with Bob Weir)
Americanarama Tour
Nashville, Tennessee
June 30, 2013
(My photos first half & my video second half)

Varitek

"Did he just put on a cape?"

Mr. White

My Morning Jacket
"War Begun"
Americanarama Tour
Nashville, Tennessee
June 30, 2013

(Taper Audio - My full Video with poster image at the beginning and end with edits to zoom in avoiding the backs of heads and such in the original video.)