Thoughts for our friend John

Started by Crispy, Apr 05, 2014, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterfredo

wow, that is beyond moving JY.  And some good humor as well.

Hang in there man, having lost my mother a few months back after a relatively short, but hard fight with cancer, I know how hard it can be.  Very awesome that you were able to be there with in the end.  The circle of life can be intense.   

parkervb

thanks for sharing that story...definitely got dusty in here.  All the best...
Don't you ever turn it off

Jaimoe

My sincere condolences John, to you and your family.

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 09, 2014, 05:47 PM
I am so very touched by this thread.  Its been a tough week, with another to follow after Easter, when we'll do the funeral thing.  My Dad was a great guy.  His passing was a blessing, though, as he never fully recovered from the surgery and treatments that, ironically, cured his pancreatic cancer.

I will share a MMJ-related story from this last week, cut and pasted from Facebook, so some of you have read this already...

I arrived at my Dad's, straight from the airport, at 1:30am Friday. I sent my Mom, brother, and sister away to get some sleep. Dad wouldn't wake up, but I told him I was there and that I loved him. I then played the YouTube video of "I Will Be There When You Die" from Red Rocks as I sat on the edge of his bed. He stirred at the sound of the song's rising volume, yet still remained asleep. After the song ended, I kissed his forehead and watched him draw his last breath.

I called my sister to let them know Dad was gone. I also told her about playing the song. Later, when she arrived to see him before the funeral home got there, she told me my brother (who likes to give me grief for my love of MMJ) said, "So, John killed Dad with My Morning Jacket!" We laughed and laughed. It was not meant to be anything but humorous. I know he meant it that way and hope you all do as well.

Its times like these when you really appreciate the friends you have, and that includes the folks on this forum.  Thanks for the kind words while I took some time away.  It really meant a lot.

-John

Hey John,

I never come to this section of the Forum but did today and saw this thread.  My heartfelt condolences on your Father's passing.

The story of your last moments with him bedside was very touching.  I stayed by my Father's side for several days last June when he was unresponsive and finally passed.  Many people, including medical professionals, told me that an unresponsive patient can, in fact, hear what is going on around them and hopefully that was the case with your Dad.  I'm sure that song will forever bring you back to memories of your Dad when you hear it.

I hope you and your family are doing well and are together for Easter.  Best of luck with the upcoming funeral.

capt. scotty

If I didnt send my regards on FB, theyre here now. Touching story JY. Your dad sounded like an an awesome guy, which is assured because youre here now.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons