Red Rocks - August 14

Started by e_wind, Mar 03, 2015, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Quote from: Stevie on Mar 09, 2015, 02:00 PM
Quote from: dmmjb on Mar 09, 2015, 01:02 PM
this will be my first time at red rocks....flying in from jersey for the show...super pumped for it.
with the presale, i wanted to go for reserved for the show, just cause i hate dealing with the sea of people fighting for positioning with GA...but the reserved seats were all gone so not wanting to get shutout altogether i went with GA...

i'd much rather be in a reserved section i think but it is what it is at this point.

overall, how big is red rocks?  is sitting in the GA area up top THAT bad?

LOL... there's no "sea" of GA folks to fight with.  if this were Port Chester or something i would agree with you.. i can't stand the GA floor because you leave to go to the bathroom one time and now you gotta fight for your life, endure cold stares from people who don't understand why you are trying to get in front of them, just to be back to the spot that you stood in line for 6 hours to get and that's IF your group was good about keeping the spacing right.. More likely than not someone has wedged their way in and now you are left with about half the real estate. 

Reason why Red Rocks GA is the best GA in the biz:

1.  It encompasses the first 25 rows which are the very best site lines and are optimum for sound quality.
2.  The first row and stage are on roughly the same level, and then slopes up so whether you are in row 1 or 20, you get a great view.  If you are short, then you still have a good shot at seeing over people.
3.  Each row (step) is wide enough (front to back) to easily fit two people.  However, it is commonly understood that once you claim your spot on that row (step), the space in front of you is also yours, leaving you a very substantial amount of room to move if you are the dancing type.  If you can only find one spot, and happen to be with your sig other, no problem..  The shorter one can simply go in front of the other and there is still plenty of room. 
3A.  Also having to do with row (step) width, if you need to go get beer or use the rest room, you will find it VERY easy to simply walk past people on the extra 3-4 feet of space that people aren't standing on in front of them. 
4.  Tailgating:  The early entry GA lot (yes, we get our own parking lot) will be full of people partying well before the show starts.  Instead of standing in a line by a concrete wall, you've got the mountains in the distance and you have the luxury of lawn chairs and coolers which you can return to your car when they let you know that it's almost time to walk in.
5.  Community:  we all tailgate together, we walk in together, we form bonds of varying shelf-lives, so while we are in the show we look out for each others' spots, fending off the GA drifters.  They will come, sometimes..  some not understanding why they can't occupy the space in front of you, but polite explanation will have them out of your hair very quickly.. also, the security is very adamant about the first come first serve thing so if someone is giving you a hard time you have backup.. i don't think i ever encountered this, though.

GA really does not get any better than Red Rocks to be quite honest.
Wiltern GA was pretty special. They only allow 200 people into the pit, and with early entry you are guaranteed a yellow wristband that only 199 others have. Very roomy and maneuverable, and you could always leave, only to come back with no issues.

Stevie

dmmjb

Hey guys....another question...
I re-upped for the roll call a few days ago, whenever the email came out. Are we getting a new laminate for this years shows?  I'm looking for my old ones, I think the most recent one I have is of a human body dancing (has a tiger head and a bird on its left hand).

Stevie

They will likely be shipped just before the first set of shows.  Most likely it will come down to the wire and some will not have their's for athens but they will then instruct u to bring a copy of ur roll call order confirmation or something.  All will be well.

finagler

Quote from: Derek713 on Mar 04, 2015, 09:43 AM
Quote from: gluvmiller on Mar 04, 2015, 08:21 AM
I'll be there. I live about 6 minutes from the venue. So PLEASE, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask me.

We will be staying in downtown Denver. Have you heard anything good or bad about some of the shuttles out to Red Rocks. I found Front Range Ski Bus and Bus To Show on line, and they seem pretty reasonable. I would prefer not to drive and I didn't know if one of these shuttles or a cab would be best.

There is a service here called Car2Go and they have designated spots at RR and have cars all over the downtown Denver area. I would sign up online before you make it to Denver just to clear all the checks and stuff, but it is a super convenient service for zipping around the metro area without a full blown car rental or relying on shuttles.

CHIMMJFAN

How frustrating....so I purchased 2 GA tix and the money was taken out of my account but I didn't see the order in my Roll Call Account. I called and spoke to someone at Wonderful Union who told me that it was "strange" and that he would look into it and email or call me back today. Then 7 hours later I callback and the rep who answers after 3 calls stating their hours are closed, lol, tells me it was an error from PayPal and that I dont have the tickets, lol.

I was told that even though it shows my money was taken out that it will just drop off in the next couple days and if not to call them back. So yeah a bit frustrated. He states not too many issues occurred today during presales, lol.

So it looks like I will be trying to get tix this Friday.

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

finagler

Also, something fun to think about for the Red Rocks show -- every time I have had the pleasure of seeing MMJ around Denver (a couple of nights at RR in 2012 and at Fiddler's Green with Wilco and Bob Dylan in 2013), they had John Oates come down from his home in Aspen and join them on stage for a few songs. I really hope that happens again because I love that collaboration!

Sassbox

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Mar 09, 2015, 06:51 PM
How frustrating....so I purchased 2 GA tix and the money was taken out of my account but I didn't see the order in my Roll Call Account. I called and spoke to someone at Wonderful Union who told me that it was "strange" and that he would look into it and email or call me back today. Then 7 hours later I callback and the rep who answers after 3 calls stating their hours are closed, lol, tells me it was an error from PayPal and that I dont have the tickets, lol.

I was told that even though it shows my money was taken out that it will just drop off in the next couple days and if not to call them back. So yeah a bit frustrated. He states not too many issues occurred today during presales, lol.

CHIMMJFAN
Yes, because PayPal is intimately familiar with RC presales and knew *just* what to remove from your account.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

finagler

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Mar 09, 2015, 06:51 PM

CHIMMJFAN

Did you even have the option to enter payment information or was PayPal automatically set from a previous purchase (likely your Roll Call signup/renewal transaction)? I have a buddy who got stuck in the PayPal loop and eventually got an error message and then a notice that his tickets were gone (and at that point, the whole pre-sale had sold out), so you got further in the transaction than he did. But he didn't ever have the chance to change his payment info, so that was the shittiest part.

I actually had a conversation with PayPal on Twitter and they were much more helpful and active in their customer service than Wonderful Union. But still, no tickets available to purchase for this show so either way, we were SOL. Until the public on sale...

CHIMMJFAN

Yeah I only had the option to go through PayPal....they are currently trying to contact WU and we are going to do a three way call and hopefully resolve this disputed claim that I have filed. What a great way to spend my night after work.....hopefully I'll get tix this Friday!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

layin low

So gluv/Garrett, or any other informed people, can you clear something up? We're on the fence here, think this would be a magical trip but rode the fence too much Monday and are now going to be among the public on-sale masses.

My question is: If we get GA (which is my hope) and are Roll Call members, you're saying if we get in line early, they take all the RC people and let them in first to the GA area? Has that been confirmed they're doing that again?

Also, if we get shut out on GA and have to go with reserved, is there a row I should be targeting?

Thanks in advance for your help in making dreams come true!

Crispy

I think it is highly unlikely that you won't be able to get a GA ticket on Friday. In fact, I'll bet you'll be able to get one well into July if not right on up until showtime. The place holds over 9500 people, and unless I am greatly underestimating the popularity of our boys compared to other acts playing there this summer, it's not going to sell out anytime soon. The other thing is, even if you have to get a reserved ticket, that doesn't mean you can't waltz your happy ass right down into the GA area when you go in. Nobody checks your ticket to see which type it is. Early entry is determined by your Roll Call status, that is, having the Roll Call laminate. Or any RC laminate for that matter (since they don't have years on them anymore), and the people at the venues are clueless, believe you me. Both times we've had Roll Call early entry at Red Rocks (2012 and 2011), the Red Rocks staff had no idea what we were talking about when we tried to start the line, although we got it figured out with some friendly prodding.

Yes, one line is formed that is the Roll Call Early Entry line. In 2011 we were told in various emails to line up on the north stairs, and in 2012 it was from the south lot. It was a clusterfuck in terms of communication (even more so in 2012), but it all worked out.

The best thing about Red Rocks GA nowadays is that when you get your spot down front, everyone in the first 3 or 4(?) rows is given a wristband signifying that they belong there. During the show, interlopers are given a quick heave-ho by the courteous staff, and that is awesome.

See you in the lot!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Derek713

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 10, 2015, 10:21 PM
I think it is highly unlikely that you won't be able to get a GA ticket on Friday. In fact, I'll bet you'll be able to get one well into July if not right on up until showtime. The place holds over 9500 people, and unless I am greatly underestimating the popularity of our boys compared to other acts playing there this summer, it's not going to sell out anytime soon. The other thing is, even if you have to get a reserved ticket, that doesn't mean you can't waltz your happy ass right down into the GA area. Nobody checks your ticket to see which type it is. Early entry is determined by your Roll Call status, that is, having the Roll Call laminate. Or any RC laminate for that matter (since they don't have years on them anymore), and the people at the venues are clueless, believe you me. Both times we've had Roll Call early entry at Red Rocks (2012 and 2011), the Red Rocks staff had no idea what we were talking about when we tried to start the line, although we got it figured out with some friendly prodding.

Yes, one line is formed that is the Roll Call Early Entry line. In 2011 we were told in various emails to line up on the north stairs, and in 2012 it was from the south lot. It was a clusterfuck in terms of communication (even more so in 2012), but it all worked out.

The best thing about Red Rocks GA nowadays is that when you get your spot down front, everyone in the first 3 or 4(?) rows is given a wristband signifying that they belong there. During the show, interlopers are given a quick heave-ho by the courteous staff, and that is awesome.

See you in the lot!

How early do people start lining up for the Roll Call early entry? I am just curious if I would get there early enough if I went the  http://bustoshow.org/  option.

Crispy

Quote from: Derek713 on Mar 11, 2015, 09:09 AM
How early do people start lining up for the Roll Call early entry? I am just curious if I would get there early enough if I went the  http://bustoshow.org/  option.
The line has usually gotten started in the late afternoon, and it didn't start getting longer until an hour or so before gates open. Being among the first hundred or so in line will almost surely get you in the first five rows, and better if you're a fast runner. The staff says "no running," but everybody runs.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Derek713

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 11, 2015, 09:50 AM

Quote from: Derek713 on Mar 11, 2015, 09:09 AM
The line has usually gotten started in the late afternoon, and it didn't start getting longer until an hour or so before gates open. Being among the first hundred or so in line will almost surely get you in the first five rows, and better if you're a fast runner. The staff says "no running," but everybody runs.

Thanks! Now I just have to decide if I want to get there a few hours early or be happy with my tickets in row 28.

dmmjb

if anyone is interested in trading their reserved tickets for a pair of GA's, i'd be very willing to have that conversation. 

sillyboob

Quote from: timescaper on Mar 04, 2015, 08:51 AM
Gonna make a weekend of it and stick around for Alabama Shakes/Truckers show

So are the wife and I!  Gonna be awesome!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

sillyboob

Quote from: e-stone on Mar 04, 2015, 10:33 AM
Quote from: gluvmiller on Mar 04, 2015, 09:27 AM
Quote from: KittyKy on Mar 04, 2015, 08:40 AM
Quote from: gluvmiller on Mar 04, 2015, 08:21 AM
I'll be there. I live about 6 minutes from the venue. So PLEASE, if you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask me.

Will RR be all GA seating like previous Jacket shows there. They early roll call entry was awesome. Thanks.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. All of their shows at red rocks have been GA. They usually do reserved for the old people shows like Crosby Still & Nash or Van Morrison. The rockers are almost always GA. It occasionally happens that the first 20 rows are GA, then the next 25 rows are reserved and the last rows are GA again. Plus, they have the ability to sell more tickets for GA.

i actually brought this up in the general tour thread but probably got lost in the madness of yesterday.  i'm a bit weary on the seating arrangement now as myself and many others got screwed on the Wilco pre-sale a few weeks back.  Wilco had only ever played the traditional GA-Reserved-GA set up, yet without any word before the initial pre-sale, they changed up this summers show to  first  50 Reserved-GA in the back.  Needless to say, we all instinctively went for GA.  so it would be nice to know for sure before Monday.

on another note, i guess we can pencil a PWW-Stir It Up into the setlist?

Phone West West - Stir It Up definitely.  Maybe Fade Into You (Mazzy Star cover) as well, with Sylvan Esso in tow.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Stevie

It's interesting that they declined to bring a group with them that has a horn section.  Usually that is their MO for big shows such as this.  However I definitely see why they may have picked Sylvan Esso.  For one, their brand of laid back electronic seems like a natural fit in the urban coffee houses of a place like Denver and i think it will be a good draw for the younger generation that may be interested in the Jacket but need another reason to push them over the ticket purchase threshold.  For two, her presence provides them with a myriad of cover options. 

Hard to say if we will get another stir it up medley, but i think it would be awesome and also very fitting to play a couple of cherished Marley tunes (Could You Be Loved as well) in the land where legal cannabis culture first started booming.  Speaking of.. i'm expecting that night to be pretty jam heavy for associated reasons..  HOWEVER, i would also not be surprised to see them do something completely different with the inevitable Sylvan Esso sit-in.  If she came on for wonderful i think that would be pretty neat if only for a change. 

pagerage

1- there is no such thing as a GA parking lot at red rocks.
2- tickets for any section will be a breeze if you are ready during on sale.
3- red rocks is a laid back free for all so it doesn't really matter.
4- I have no idea what the hell any of those 2 paragraphs from Stevie are supposed to mean.