evolution of the band?

Started by TheLink, Aug 09, 2005, 02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLink

Hey everyone.  Well, like most of you on here, I have been a fan for a while now and started listening back in 2002 after hearing At Dawn in a jukebox at The new World Brewery in Ibor City, FL.  Man, it is one of those memories you can never forget.  I have been thinking lately about what drw me in as the 1st song I ever heard was "at dawn," an amazing song that just brought my intoxication up a few notches.  Anyways, I must say that the band is evolving and it is great.  I am wondering though, if you guys think that with success, comes less sadness and therefore less pain in songs. I haven't heard much of "Z", but it certainly is not like either of the early albums.  And, of course Jim has taken something more from each bandmemeber thus becoming a more complete band than before.  So, do you think that Jim may do some solo albums eventually?  Don't get me wrong, I love the new stuff too.  I just miss that sad feeling I used to get and wonder if the band has moved on a bit from that.  Or, could Jim be holding some of it inside for an upcoming MMJ album or solo project?  Just some thoughts I thought I would share with you Jacket folks.  Peace.

EC

Hmmm...  I doubt that success and sadness have anything to do with each other.  This is just my opinion, of course.  :)

It's funny that you say that, because I've noticed the total opposite with the songs that I've heard.  I think there's a lot of emotion in Off The Record, and definitely with Dondante.  But I've only heard the live versions (except for OTR, which apparently isn't there anymore...)

aMillionDreams

I'm sure that the lack of sadness in the new record is not due to a lack of sadness because of their recent success.  I think success might even be driving Jim a little crazy. The new style is just Jim's new way to express his sadness.  And I think the band's evolution does have a lot to do with the new band members.  Pat's interview with Pitchfork could offer some good insight on this topic.

I would love it if Jim did a solo project next.  Don't forget that the Chocolate and Ice EP was a solo project.  And it's one of my favorite discs!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

sweatboard

I have to agree with Megan.  I think there is plenty of sadness on this record.  Actually I think there is an underlying sadness with a message of hope if you can manage to start with yourself.  Anyway that's just the way I see it.  I also think Jim will eventually release a solo album or a stripped down acoustic type record.  The band is amazing right now and I think Jim is probably taking full advantage of that on this record.  I would rather Jim just realease a live solo record where he just performes the songs stripped down.  I don't like the idea of a Solo record at this point.  The band is to amazing and I think they can make just about any song better even slower more moody numbers like "Knot Comes Loose" benefit from steel guitar and piano.  There is something about just Words and Guitar though.  Just release the Solo show in London as an official bootleg please, then everyone will be happy. ;D

SERIOUSLY!!!
There's Still Time.........

TheLink

maybe the lyrics are just as sad, but the song structures just aren't as haunting to me.  i don't know.  maybe you guys are right.  one cannot just lose all sadness because of success. rock on crazy peeps.

realdeal

you're absolutely correct. from what i've heard of the new record (60% of it), they're obviously experimenting with electronic beats and more upbeat guitar riffs, a whole lot less reverb and haunting vocals. I can't even bear the thought of them going pop! Lord nooooooo!!!

EC

Quoteyou're absolutely correct. from what i've heard of the new record (60% of it), they're obviously experimenting with electronic beats and more upbeat guitar riffs, a whole lot less reverb and haunting vocals. I can't even bear the thought of them going pop! Lord nooooooo!!!

Maybe they're not going "pop", maybe they're just trying out new stuff.  Jim's been experimenting with electronic beats for years, and there's a lot of early stuff that isn't as reverb-heavy as At Dawn or It Still Moves.

I don't even know what pop means anymore.  Unless we're talking Fanta.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI don't even know what pop means anymore.  Unless we're talking Fanta

MUWAHAHAHAHAH!  That's hilarious.  Does anyone else here know what Fanta is?!

Back to the topic.  Of course the band is evolving, always has, probably always will.  The new records always sound like an evolution compared to the previous record.  That's the magic bullet of MMJ.  

Sure, Jim probably could have rested on his creative laurels and mindlessly reproduced AD or TF for 34 albums or so, but why?  Jim is an artist, always trying to express himself in new ways.  Whether this record is more "pop" than the previous efforts remains to be seen.  I think that all MMJ songs have the potential to be huge pop hits-Jim can really dig your brain with a melody.  

Now Meg, if you compare Jim's melodies with say, Gwar, you might understand "pop" music per se.    ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

MMmmmmm Gwar.  I have always regretted not getting sprayed by giant cocks and big splashes of blood.

Maybe one day...  ;)

(Well said, by the way.)

realdeal

I was refering to the whole band experimenting with electro beats, we've all heard chocolate & ice. this is the first time they've incorporated a drum machine and other random beats into any previous albums. what did they put out earlier than At Dawn and ISM that wasn't "reverb-heavy"??

EC

QuoteI was refering to the whole band experimenting with electro beats, we've all heard chocolate & ice. this is the first time they've incorporated a drum machine and other random beats into any previous albums. what did they put out earlier than At Dawn and ISM that wasn't "reverb-heavy"??

I'm talking about Tennessee Fire and the Learning records.

on edit: just got home and put TF on.  I hadn't listened to it in a while.  In my head, it's always been less reverby.  But I think I was wrong.

tomEisenbraun

You're not wrong, Meg.

Picture of You, War Begun, If All Else Fails, RIPVG, even Old September Blues, are not reverb heavy in the least.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Thanks dude.  I only had time to listen to the first couple.

Okay, good.  :)

realdeal

Dude..you were like 11 when the Jacket started rockin'. You were probably listening to tbe Beatles or Michael Jackson.

Chills

EC

Ha, when I was listening to the minipops, My Morning Jacket was about 15 years away from being realized.

Damn, I loved those minipops.  I wanted to be one so bad.  They don't have K-tel stuff anymore, do they?  K-tel used to have ads all over the tv when I was a kid.  And Mattel toys, too.  Hmmm. K-tel.  Mat-tel.  Hmmm....

The_Link

okay, so after hearing some of the new tracks, i have to say that i do like the new sound.  i get worked up sometimes.  sorry for the rant. :-X