Best MMJ Album(s)?

Started by yellowbirddd, Jan 01, 2006, 12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowbirddd

Hi there,

i'm a big bright eyes fan and i've seen jim james perform with conor a few times and i think he's really amazing. i want to pick up some MMJ cds and i was looking for some suggestions as to which cds are your favorites. i'm sure all of them are great, i dont know if some of them are more stripped down instrumentally as compared to others? i really dig that song "golden". soooo good. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Liam

fitzcarraldo

Hey yellowbirddd, word.  My personal opinion get It Still Moves first, then At Dawn and Z....after that you should be rightfully addicted and get the rest of the enormous MMJ catalog. Cheers, Sean  

loper

Hi there Liam,

if you like stripped down music, then you might think of approaching MMJ's catalogue in released sequence.

The Tennesee Fire is their 1st and most stripped down full album.

At Dawn sees MMJ getting very sophisticated in their arrangements without losing any of the Americana freshness of TTF.

It Still Moves takes MMJ to another level. It rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!  hard!!!!!  yet it is very complex in its writing and instrumentation.  It really takes time to get into.  But you must give it time. Your patience will be rewarded a 100 times over.  It will be a surprise if the guys will ever again match this classic.

Z, the latest release is a major disappointment (personally).  If you like stripped down then you'll find this overproduced and contrived.

A better choice for you than Z would be the live acoustic mini album, Acoustic Citsuoca, which includes a beautiful version of Golden.

This is a very personal view, 99% forum members wont have a word said against  Z.

Good luck with your exciting journey into MMJ! :)

Coltrane

"contrived" ??????? in what way exactly is Z contrived?

is Roxy Music contrived??

is Led Zeppelin contrived?

why does production value equal contrived???

explain yourself!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

ycartrob

Quote"contrived" ??????? in what way exactly is Z contrived?

is Roxy Music contrived??

is Led Zeppelin contrived?

why does production value equal contrived???

explain yourself!

you know, contrived. They spent a lot of time on production and layering sounds and effects. Like Sgt Peppers or Pet Sounds or Dark Side of the Moon or OK Computer or Achtung Baby.

to some people, these things are bad. My taste is diverse, I love it all.

ycartrob

QuoteHi there,

i'm a big bright eyes fan and i've seen jim james perform with conor a few times and i think he's really amazing. i want to pick up some MMJ cds and i was looking for some suggestions as to which cds are your favorites. i'm sure all of them are great, i dont know if some of them are more stripped down instrumentally as compared to others? i really dig that song "golden". soooo good. any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Liam

Liam,

I'd go with   At Dawn . One of my all time favorite albums. Really moved me when I first got into it and still really hits hard today.

The best is seeing them live; their live energy cannot be translated to CD or album.

Chills

QuoteHi there Liam,

then you might think of approaching MMJ's catalogue in released sequence.

I think that's the best way as well.

Easy Morning Rebel

I think At Dawn is my favorite, then It Still Moves and Z both at second place.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

SplatSplatSplat

well since we now know which album is everyone's favorite...

man, based on your initial post, go and get Tennessee Fire. i think that's what your looking for. And if you like it you can always get the next one and watch MMJ's creative progression. And so on...and so on...
You need it.  That's for sure.