Main Menu

Hiatus

Started by eiseyrokker, Oct 01, 2006, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. T.

I do understand Tom. Sometimes I'll listen to a MMJ record without paying full attention to it because I know so well what is going to happen...
Afterwards, I'll regret not being able to feel the same thrill and excitement I felt the first time I heard the record.

i know nothing is going to bring back the feeling of hearing Golden for the first time. But a hiatus would certainly bring that feeling closer again.

That being said, I won't be able to avoid listening to MMj for even a week.

Live experiences are better than a hiatus, and they have the same effect!
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

Jernigan

You know, I feel pressured sometimes to give it a rest for a second too. Sometimes by myself, but mostly from some of
my co-workers, and family saying: "Jesus Christ Mike, you have had the same cd in for 6 months now" or something of that nature.

I'll put other stuff in periodically through out the day, but I always come back to the jacket.  And that's exactly it, you will always come back to the jacket for the way it makes you feel when you have it on.

On another note, works sucks....and I'm only half way through the day!

Cheers,
-MJ

tomEisenbraun

Oh and see that's just the thing. I will come back to the Jacket. There's no doubt about it. I just want to appreciate them for everything they are when I come back. Listen again and hear all the little subtleties. I realized yesterday, if I can make it october 30th, there's a good chance i'll not remember a lot fo little things. kind of forget what Jim's voice is like and all that.

and I don't know. it'll be good to sit down with it again in an atmosphere where I have nothing to pay attention to but the Jacket while watching the Okonokos movie.

But i'm excited to forget about it, if that makes sense. To not take it for granted. I'm also going to start not always having the radio on in the car, so that I can hear myself think a little more when I'm alone. I think there's a lot of good musical change coming up for me. One other thing about the car music deal, I'm realizing more and more that my music begins as imitations of others' works, and i realized this:

we who make music, make music from necessity. if i'm not constantly engulfed in it, i'll begin to need to channel my musical energy more, and by not channeling it through other peoples' music, hopefully i'll begin to start really having my own voice with my work. developing a style. hearing things in the rhythm of everyday life and developing tunes because i've never heard them before.

I'm excited about the prospects of all of this. now if i could only turn some of this discipline toward school...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ChiefOKONO

very good post. i love the idea behind this.. i do this haitus thing with most bands but i havent really been able to with the jacket yet!!

p.s. who needs school when you've got MMJ!

DuDess

It's like getting back your virginity.

I wish you good luck  :-* ;)

Crispy

I'm gonna try this too...here we go...no Jacket for a while...

I'm out!

Seriously though Tom, when you get the LP, how are you going to keep that sucker under wraps? I couldn't keep myself from getting the CD even though the vinyl is (hopefully) on the way soon. At least I got the email from Dylan at Badman telling me they'll send me one. Good luck!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

tomEisenbraun

Haha, oh trust me, I'll be all over the album art. I'll just wait until I've seen the movie to re-listen (I already have listened to it once all the way through while hosting my listening party). Hopefully, since I won't be listening until after I've seen Okonokos, all the songs will correspond with the movie, and it'll hold an even deeper awesomeness. I hope.

tomEisenbraun

Damn you aMd. i broke it for Hot Legs, and Hot Legs only.

tomEisenbraun

just to clarify, it's still on. but after waiting for hot legs this long, i kind of had to.

tomEisenbraun

okay, i forgot about Lay Low until reading my initial post. Fall is about to rock. I'm gonna finish this hiatus off right now with this nifty KCRW live set and then rock some fuckin Z. it's been too damn long.