Main Menu

CONAN

Started by doeslittle, Oct 13, 2005, 11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratsprayer

QuoteWowee.  I loved that Conan performance.  I think Patrick looks like Animal with that mask on.  That is a wicked mask.  I thought Anytime was a great choice for Conan.  As far as pre-recorded harmonies, I guess sometimes you don't know why people would choose to do that...  But I'm sure there's a reason.

Seriously, though, Patrick's mask is kick ass.   [smiley=rock.gif]

the more and more i hear anytime in a live setting, the more i like it, and now even like the Z version more than ever.  

still why accept the pre-recording as is?  debate, people!  you know carl can rip it up since he does at least 'how do you know'.  sure what they do already works as is, but why not discuss wot other options there are?  i say, lets hear bo and carl harmonizing away!  at least try it!

EC

ratsprayer, I like your picture.

dragonboy

I was thinking the same thing - where's it from?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

Quoteratsprayer, I like your picture.

thanks, its a captain beefheart painting called CAT'S GOT HIS TAIL.  

http://beefheart.com/runpaint/picindex.htm

dragonboy

Some creepy paintings!
I like Crepe & Black Lamps & Check Bif...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

& Fur On The Trellis & Just Up Into The Air...

EC

Van Vliet...  why is that name familiar?  

ratsprayer

QuoteSome creepy paintings!
I like Crepe & Black Lamps & Check Bif...

hehe...creepy.  youve not heard his music, have you??   ;D

really, i wouldnt call the music creepy, just really really really fucked up.  he was a big influence on zappa, they were friends actually.  he makes zappa look quite normal, lets just say that.

dragonboy

Do you know what, I really don't think I've ever heard a single song?

Of course, I know that his music is 'out there' & am familar with the famous trout/mask - what's it called? if only for the cover.

Can't get into Zapppa.

ratsprayer

QuoteDo you know what, I really don't think I've ever heard a single song?

Of course, I know that his music is 'out there' & am familar with the famous trout/mask - what's it called? if only for the cover.

Can't get into Zapppa.

one of the best albums ever, i think.

corey

Listen to "Peaches en regalia" and tell me that Zappa's not a genius. I dare you.  :)
Music genius at it's finest.
I'm not big on his songs with lyrics, but he wrote the hell out of some instrumental stuff.

mackhazel

Quotejust saw them in boston...those people talk too much...there was an annoying din when they played something acoustic...maybe thats why they didnt...jim made reference to their idle chatter just before anytime...they couldnt talk over that...

ChiefOKONO

CONAN ruled!!! thanks to whoever posted it online!!!

CC

QuoteVan Vliet...  why is that name familiar?  

I think that's O's last name.
maybe they're related.

Gripe

one of the best albums ever, i think.

THE best. I cannot believe that there's a Beefheart fan on this list. I... I...have to go clear my head. This is too much to handle at this time of night.

SplatSplatSplat

i know you guys aren't talking about this, but did anyone else here think they maybe should have played "gideon" on conan? i could've missed a post or two but...i don't know.

i love 'anytime' and it rocked my ass here recently in knoxville and nashville...loved it! but, honestly, my first impression of that song was underwhelming; it just sounded generic...at first.

and i'm worried the casual listener may've thought the same thing. i think 'gideon' has that whole u2, pearl jam type epicness to it and peeps would absorb it.

oh well. they played what they played for the reasons they thought they should and i still love 'em for it.

zappa's the shit
You need it.  That's for sure.

Coyote

first time i ever heard of MMJ was on conan - THANK YOU CONAN! :D

ycartrob

I'm not up enough to know how to post a picture, but this here is my fav Capt. beefheart painting:

http://www.beefheart.com/runpaint/boat.htm