Main Menu

Bonnaroo DVD

Started by Winterland, Jun 20, 2008, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winterland

Is this even a possibility? I assumed Superfly owned the rights to the music and video. I was fortunate enough to have been there and would love to see it again.

roberthunter

Try a question mark in the thread title next time.

The songwriters own the rights to the music.  This means getting clearance for all the covers stands more in the way of an official DVD than Superfly / AC Entertainment.

Winterland

Thanks for the grammar/message board decorum lesson.

Haven't remembered a single artist releasing a Bonnaroo DVD, I may be wrong but I'm sure Hunter will enlighten me.

Nikkogino

QuoteThanks for the grammar/message board decorum lesson.

Haven't remembered a single artist releasing a Bonnaroo DVD, I may be wrong but I'm sure Hunter will enlighten me.

I think he wanted you to put a "?" because your thread makes people think "sweet, they are releasing a Bonnaroo DVD!!!" instead of "do you think they will release a Bonnaroo DVD?"   False hope ain't cool.

Winterland

I understand why he requested a ?, just didn't think it was that big of a deal to actually comment on.

tomEisenbraun

Haha, agreed. Maybe if you were being an ass it'd be a slight bit more warranted? But still, you weren't. Haven't seen him around here yet, but I'd suggest not to worry too much about it?

There's been much worse thread titles with much worse content--you've offended nobody as far as I can tell. Welcome aboard!

As far as getting covers dealt with, it would seem like that might be a bit of an issue, but you really just have to settle it with ASCAP somehow. Copyright laws are getting very ridiculous nowadays, which might mean that they would leave those off? All they really need is an okay from the artists, though, and they're good. Unless they want to pull a Prince on us.

As for Roo DVDs though--I'm not sure if anyone's released a Roo DVD of just themselves. Personally, I dig the festival aesthetic of the previous DVDs where the chronicle the big important aspects off all the bands with a song that really mattered. Hell, there was a movie made for 2004 that ended with footage from the infamous "Steam Engine" -- segued from Golden right into it, footage starting as soon as the cameramen could scramble on to the stage.

It would be way cool to get footage of this show, as I'm sure it was epic as hell. There were cameras there, no?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

roberthunter

I thought I was actually pretty polite in my response.

If you truly understood why I and others would like to see a question mark in thread titles like these then you wouldn't question my comment.  You might even throw in a "my bad."

I didn't think for a second that an official DVD was already in the works, but fan-produced DVDs have been known to pop up this quickly.

Love Dogg

Tom, you are so eloquent when you write.  Very diplomatic and thoughtful.  I was playing Golden last night at a small gathering and thought of you, since you tabbed it.  We need more people like you around.  Thanks.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Angry Ewok

QuoteTom, you are so eloquent when you write.  Very diplomatic and thoughtful.  I was playing Golden last night at a small gathering and thought of you, since you tabbed it.  We need more people like you around.  Thanks.

And he's dangerously good looking.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

MyLifeISought

Radiohead is planning to release their 06 set on DVD, I know. Beyond that, the only official Bonnaroo discs have been 02, 03 (270 Miles from Graceland), and 04
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

Winterland

No sweat, simple misunderstanding.

Cameras were there all night. I'm assuming Fuse taped the whole thing. It would be cool for SuperFly and MMJ to maybe do joint release.

A nod to the fact that many are calling it THE performance of Bonnaroo's 7 year history.

shockadow

Someone obviously needs to befriend someone in the FUSE TV production Dept.  My best pal works in the Cartoon Network PD and sneaks countless gems out of there for my perusal.

Roberthunter gives Robert Hunter a bad name.  

Quit being a petty lil' snit!

Question Marks?  Here's one for ya.  Put it in your butt!!!

[size=24]?[/size]
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

tomEisenbraun

Haha, thanks Shock...

BobHunter, just a tip. I mean this in all politeness, so please don't think I'm talking down to you or anythign like that. This is the internet, and as such, our communication makes or breaks our images of each other. When you have a quick quip to say, even when it's something that really does make sense, like your initial comment about the question mark, it helps to throw in some sort of smiley or something to help transition and to signify that it was a good-natured form of constructive criticism. I definitely understand your initial sentiment, but you've got to communicate it well for it to come off right. Imagine reading that very plainly and with no inflection. It comes off more snippy than friendly, even regardless of how you were thinking it. That's why the smileys help, and often why we exaggerate the humor of things a bit here when we've got some advice on something like that--it helps to show that there's no intended edge on what we're saying, just a quick positive criticism and then on with it.

The difference between:

Try a question mark in the thread title next time.

and:

Try a question mark in the thread title next time.  ;)

is astronomical and it's really pretty ridiculous, but it's all a part of making sure you've communicated what you've meant to here. Like I said, I don't mean to sound condescending at all, just noticed you've got a low post count which means you're probably new here in one aspect of the word or another. It sucks to have what you meant to say muddled by plain text typing, so that's my thoughts to help you out. Welcome aboard, man.

(I don't, on the other hand, think he owes an apology on it. I was confused by the tone as much as he was, I think, so it's understandable that there wasn't one earlier. We don't always pick up the intended inflections, and that's okay.)

As for Brad, I decided to grow my beard out so that women wouldn't get pregnant just by looking at me. I took about 20 or so slaps int he face with the cold, hard truth of my intense virility, but I figured the only way to keep that shit under control was to carpet the heart of pine hardwood, if you understand my drift here. Currently aiming for the Leonidas...

roberthunter

Obviously I was trying to be a little snippy in my reply.  Honestly, thread titles like these irk me, even though I've seen a billion of them.  But still, it's not actually a big deal to me.

I think I just underestimated the polite factor here.  I'm used to short and sweet message boards where good natured jabs like the one I gave are to be expected.  Obviously things are a little more cordial here.  That's fine and I respect that, but still it's not like I laid into the guy or anything.

Tom, obviously I know how emoticons can affect the tone of a sentence.  I didn't include a smiley face because that's not exactly how I was feeling.  I wasn't, however, sitting here fuming behind my computer.  I meant my first sentence as more of a "Come on, dude.  Seriously?"  type thing.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteObviously I was trying to be a little snippy in my reply.  Honestly, thread titles like these irk me, even though I've seen a billion of them.  But still, it's not actually a big deal to me.

I think I just underestimated the polite factor here.  I'm used to short and sweet message boards where good natured jabs like the one I gave are to be expected.  Obviously things are a little more cordial here.  That's fine and I respect that, but still it's not like I laid into the guy or anything.

Tom, obviously I know how emoticons can affect the tone of a sentence.  I didn't include a smiley face because that's not exactly how I was feeling.  I wasn't, however, sitting here fuming behind my computer.  I meant my first sentence as more of a "Come on, dude.  Seriously?"  type thing.

Alrighty, there we go. When we don't know you too well, nobody's really quite sure how to take you.

I'd say we probably are a bit more on the cordial side here, no need to be snippy. We screw around a lot and have fun, and try to keep that attitude up. Sorry if you've seen sort of a shitty side of us lately. We're working hard to get shit straightened out and back in the right spot as you've probably seen.

As for the snippitude of your reply, I don't really get the need for it. If the post was stupid and misinformed and repetitive, sure, but the guy had a good question and was informed enough. I don't quite see your point there.

Screw it, dude, this is sort semantics. Let's blow this off. I'm Tom--nice to meet you.

ycartrob

Hi robert hunter, welcome to the board.

I am either the nicest guy in the world or the spawn of satan

depends on who you ask. I am really working on the nicest guy in the world angle, FYI b/c my self esteem is wrapped up in what people think of me here...

but, welcome, I like your name and got to see him in Nashville a couple of years ago and it was awesome

and Tom is rather attractive

roberthunter

Hi guys.  Nice to meet you.

Tracy, I actually use this screen name b/c its my first and middle names and I love the Dead!  Kind of a happy coincidence as my parents didn't really have the Dead in mind when they named me.

By the way, I like your avatar.  I've been listening to On The Beach a lot lately.

shockadow

[size=24]?[/size]

In the Butt!!!!

:o :o >:( :D :D ;D ;D :-[ :-[
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

Bigsky

There's a Bonnaroo DVD, nice...where do I get it? ;)

I got one for you shockadow....

shockadow

OUCH, that would hurt my poor lil' bunger. >:( :-[ :'( :o