MMJ Shel Silverstein Tribute

Started by that_girl, Aug 17, 2008, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

megalicious

From this article in The Tennessean:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Dato=20080815&Kategori=TUNEIN&Lopenr=808150305&Ref=AR

Though most of the band members reside in Louisville, Ky., they frequently find themselves in Nashville to work on various musical projects. Their last Bonnaroo performance required a two-day rehearsal in town. James recently recorded a duet with Nashville singer-songwriter Cortney Tidwell for her forthcoming album. Broemel is particularly excited about the band's upcoming contribution to a Shel Silverstein tribute organized by Nashville rocker Bobby Bare Jr.

"We're going to get to go to RCA Studio B, which will be a really awesome day, just to knock out a song or two," he says. "Nashville's awesome for that. I have friends that are recording engineers. I got to pop in when my friend was working at Quad Studios, where they recorded (Neil Young's) Harvest. It's a secret, awesome, really important music town."

whaaaaat? how awesome is this going to be?
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

getinthevan

It definitely has my attention.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

ms. yvon

"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

mjkoehler

easy way

Ha! This is bitchin'. The boys are always bringing it back home. Makin' me feel like a kiddie.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Love Dogg

Do you think they put music to "We're A Rock n Roll Band" from A Light In The Attic?  I have been working on that one, but I would rather hear them do it!!!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

The Drake

I hope they do "I Got Stoned and I Missed It".  I love Shel's adult and kid work so I am definitely anticipating this release.

If you haven't heard Bobby Bare Sr and Jr sing "Daddy What If" yet, go get it now!  It's well worth the 99 cent itunes DL.  Bobby jr won a Grammy for it when he was 5 or 6 years old.

j_rud

Could you imagine them doing A Boy Named Sue?
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

LEATHER KID

My band got to record there about a month ago.  It was fucking awesome.  You can really feel the history inside those walls.  Everything's recorded on tape and they've got some really cool old instruments like a piano that Elvis played.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

shockadow

Don't forget,
Shel was the main writer for Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show.  That opens up the catalog to Captn' Goodies for trax like:

Freakin' @ the Freaker's Ball
Queen of the Silver Dollar<-- (My Fav.)
Roland the Roadie
Get my Rocks Off
Acapulco Goldie
Sylvia's Mother<--  (awesome song)
Makin' it Natural
Penicillin Penny
&
Cover of the Rolling Stone

Any of these would be better than a poem set to music...
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.