Best beginner's MMJ album??  Please give input!!

Started by david6591, Aug 04, 2008, 06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B.

So I'm just getting into MMJ's music and I only have 4 songs (I'm Amazed, One Big Holiday, Wordless Chorus, and Off the Record) but I love what I hear and I want to buy a MMJ album before I go on vacation tomorrow?  So I wanted to know what you guys think is the best MMJ album for a beginning listener like me?  I was initially thinking Z, but from what I've previewed Evil Urges on itunes, I was really intruiged.   Thanks for the input!!

ycartrob

At Dawn is 1 of my all time favorite albums of all time; right up there with the best of all time, IMO.

At Dawn, my final answer.

welcome

TGMC421

I second that, Tracy!

A tad different than Z or Evil Urges, but the essential, IMO.

Croweyes1121

bold99

for a beginner I'd go with Tennesse Fire...start from the beginning.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

Okonokos is the best way to get into their music, I have found.

Also, Z is an absolute classic and the reason I got into them.
In another time, in another place, in another face

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

thatswhatshesaid

my first album was it still moves.  but, i think all their albums are great, so you can't really go wrong with any of them.

nice thread by the way!

Erik26

go with Okonokos and branch off. It won't matter after long you will be lost and hooked
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Grateful Chabo

i would go with okonokos, you can hear songs from at dawn, ism, and z...plus live is where the magic happens
"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

Love Dogg

QuoteAt Dawn is 1 of my all time favorite albums of all time; right up there with the best of all time, IMO.

welcome

I say At Dawn, too!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

blueskyink

I started with Z, I was a late bloomer, but really any place is a great start.  Just dive right in, I always enjoy going chronological with bands but I definitely didn't with MMJ, I believe mine went:

Z-It Still Moves-Tennessee Fire-At Dawn-Okonokos-Various EP's-The Early Recordings Comp 1 & 2-Evil Urges

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Penny Lane

you shouldn't rush this process--that's like chugging fine wine
buy Tennesee Fire first and then proceed to buy and listen to them in chronological order--very important...do NOT buy the live album first!!!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

marino13

Based on the path you have started down, get Okonokos.  It will give you a good introduction to many albums and you get the live experience.  It is also the longest album (2 discs) for you to enjoy on vacation.  

These threads are a pet peeve for me, because many people don't listen to the original poster and instead want them to get into the band the same way they did.  You have started with and connected with the newer material.  If you jump head first into At Dawn or Tennessee Fire, it could stunt your growth because it is way different than the MMJ you have grown to like so far.  Okonokos will give you a heavy dose of the newer material that you like, but it will also give you an introduction to the first two albums.  Some people don't have the time or the funds to gobble up all of the records and become a superfan overnight.  Buy Okonokos and you won't be disappointed.  

thatswhatshesaid

awesome. another thread where someone asks for an opinion, we give them, and they apparently aren't good enough for others.

and i agree with penny. i wouldn't recommend okonokos first, but it is a good "greatest hits" album. it might not be a bad idea to buy them in order to get the feel of progression the band has been through to get to the point they are in now, but regardless, they are all spectacular albums. you can't go wrong with any of them. i got it still moves first when it was released, then worked my way backwards (and forwards when Z came out). i really didn't listen to TTF until last summer/fall.

ycartrob

At Dawn is 1 of my all time favorite albums of all time; right up there with the best of all time, IMO.

welcome

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?