Evil Urges Commercial...

Started by g-con, Oct 26, 2008, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g-con

Weird...I'm not an excessive TV watcher, I'd say average, but today, sunday morning, I just saw a 15 second AD for Evil Urges on ESPN? Im not sure if this is old news for others or if its a regional thing, but I'm in NJ and I've NEVER seen any MMJ commericals. I find it kinda strange that now, like 4 months after the release, I get my first taste of MMJ advertising on ESPN. No complaints obviously! Just kinda random...
"Any book is a children's book if the kid can read."  -  Mitch Hedberg

capt. scotty

Saw the same thing

I first saw it a week or two ago when watching the college football game on saturday night (I believe it was on ABC, but it was either ABC or ESPN)

Then today when I was watching NFL Countdown, saw it. And I didnt start watching it as early as you, so they must of played it multiple times during Countdown.

I found it odd as well that it seemed they just started airing this advertisement 4+ months after EU was released, and its affiliated with Best Buy too  :-?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

easy way

Yeah, I usually see that promo while watching college football...I rewind and pause on the shot of the guys standing in front of the bear wall.

***I'm an Auburn fan, so that's usually the best part of my Saturday's this season.  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

xmascriminal

What song or songs do they play during the commercial? I haven't had a TV for a long time.

capt. scotty

QuoteWhat song or songs do they play during the commercial? I haven't had a TV for a long time.

They play Im Amazed..kinda like the 2nd half of the chorus before the solo and into the solo for the commercial
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

xmascriminal

purvis9876

Just saw it on [adult swim].
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

DaFunkyPrecedent

some program on NPR yesterday was:
"brought to you by My Morning Jackets Evil Urges, available now at Barns and Nobel"
God damn those shaky knees.

bold99

yeah I posted this somewhere else but I saw an Evil Urges commercial during the Penn St game last week.  Crazy
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Ruckus

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

getinthevan

QuoteLame lame lame  >:(

What's lame?  The fact that there's a commercial for the album and its exposing a whole new audience to the band?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Shepardspy

I believe ATO Records is promoting this record.  They tend to put the word out when the album drops and then 6 months later really put resources into promoting the record.  Most people will get a little taste of an artist and not get around to checking them out for months after the first listen.  Especially since it's MMJ.  You can't throw this band at the average person all at once.  They won't accept it.

capt. scotty

What's lame?  The fact that there's a commercial for the album and its exposing a whole new audience to the band?

honestly, I could never see MMJ getting more "commercial" than this album, and this album isnt commercial at all. Just because theres an advertisement for it, doesnt take away from the music.

easy way

honestly, I could never see MMJ getting more "commercial" than this album, and this album isnt commercial at all. Just because theres an advertisement for it, doesnt take away from the music.

heaven forbid they sell a record or two in a world full of free music.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Ruckus

heaven forbid they sell a record or two in a world full of free music.

While I do agree with much that has been said above, I've never particularly enjoyed any music being advertised on TV.  Clearly the market research shows that this targeted approach to the 18-29, sports viewing, male audience can be effective although I do not see how.

As for "commerciality" of a band, I could care less so long as the music is good.

To be honest, the only music that should be marketed is either Warner/Time Life's Hair Bands of the 80s, Love Songs of the 70s, or the Best of John Tesh.   :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

AMightyCaporal

let them sell the records- there is nothing commercial about this album- they have taken their music to a new level and to be honest, a lot of people unfamiliar with the band probably won't get too into it.  Yes there are catchy tracks on this album that may get them more into the band and yes there are people who will love the album immediately.  But i think in both cases it will inspire a deeper look into MMJs long list of music and will create more FANS- just because they heard about them on TV does not mean they aren't real fans
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

C-Bear

Its still strange  to know that they or the record company is selling them so hard now. With Kings doing car commercials,  playing on K-rock in NYC & being on E! entertainment channel, its kind of telling of what's to come for MMJ. I'd like them to stay more underground as they were but, hell god bless if they want to make money who's to stop them. I just can't believe I was at the Container store in NJ on Friday on the music loop they played "Look at you". Never A. Have I been in a Container store before & B. Heard MMJ as a soundtrack to a box store.

mtngurl

QuoteIts still strange  to know that they or the record company is selling them so hard now. With Kings doing car commercials,  playing on K-rock in NYC & being on E! entertainment channel, its kind of telling of what's to come for MMJ. I'd like them to stay more underground as they were but, hell god bless if they want to make money who's to stop them. I just can't believe I was at the Container store in NJ on Friday on the music loop they played "Look at you". Never A. Have I been in a Container store before & B. Heard MMJ as a soundtrack to a box store.

A few years ago they had OBH on the rotation at Old Navy and Anchor Blue. I was pretty shocked the first time I heard it out in public.

As far as why they play the commercial during college football, just look at the threads on off-topic ramblings. Plenty of football fans are MMJ fans.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

AMightyCaporal

Its hard to see your favorite band become more commercial- because of how other commercial artists are...  You better believe that MMJ will not remain still long enough to be like them though.  They have talked about how they don't want to be one of those bands that finds a sound that works and stays with it- they don't want to remain stagnant but progress.  You can take comfort in knowing that they know that they'll have fans who will always be there and love any new fan that comes to see them but will not change their ideals to fit anyone else but themselves... IMO
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

buymycar

QuoteIts still strange  to know that they or the record company is selling them so hard now. With Kings doing car commercials,  playing on K-rock in NYC & being on E! entertainment channel, its kind of telling of what's to come for MMJ. I'd like them to stay more underground as they were but, hell god bless if they want to make money who's to stop them. I just can't believe I was at the Container store in NJ on Friday on the music loop they played "Look at you". Never A. Have I been in a Container store before & B. Heard MMJ as a soundtrack to a box store.

Kings of Leon have always done stuff like that.  The first time I heard them was on a commercial.  The song was Molly Chambers.