The Way That He Sings

Started by ericwindmill, Sep 29, 2010, 02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackets N Pones

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Fully

APR

I love the song and the sentiment.   And as great as Jim's voice is, the last minute of the song when they're all just jamming is just incredible.... chills inducing.....I always hope they extend that outro when I heard it live.  It's just too short.

ralph

Loving all the version being posted here!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

GO4IT

I agree with all of you that this is an amazing song, especially live.  The anticipation and reality of that last minute is a killer.

They played it at my first MMJ concert - Radio City Music Hall in June of 2008 - the opening of the Evil Urges tour, and it just blew me away.  I was hooked for life after that song.

Here's my video, the first one I took of the band.  Hopefully the intensity of the moment, including Jim climbing the wall, comes through:

My Morning Jacket - The Way That He Sings

blucas

Quote from: MamaKel on Feb 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
My Morning Jacket - The Way That He Sings (incomplete)

Maybe I'm partial, but this was my favorite one from this tour...this is only part of it, but even the black and white reminds me of this concert I saw with Roy Orbison, Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello and a bunch of other people a few years back...gives it that nostalgic feel...

MamaKel...love the B&W too.  I notice that Yim doesn't have a guitar; is there a story behind that?  I thought maybe it was from Gibson Amphitheatre in December because his guitar monitor was acting up and he was naked much of the show but then I checked the setlist and no TWTHS.

Love the song and got all warm and fuzzy when Yim gave a nod to Shannon Hoon as one of the inspirational voices during VH1 Storytellers.  I think he also mentioned Marvin Gaye in that one too.
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

mahg33ta

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Feb 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
The Way That He Sings - (Mann Center)

the one from the mann center was pretty on point for me.

yeah, that middle bit was pretty awesome and a nice surprise!

MamaKel

Blucas

That version is from STL...man, that show was unbelievable. He did a lotta cool shit that night...But he didn't get naked. I knew I shoulda gone on to Dallas. Is there footage of that?!

MamaKel

Oh, and if he talked about Shannon Hoon, that's amazing. I was watching him the other day...he was something special...I hear so much of him in Jim...

blucas

Ha- not literally naked, just without his guitar :)!  Man, that thought would create quite a  uproar among the lady fans on this board though...  ::)
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

MamaKel

Damnit...I'm just waiting for the day they play naked...they can tell people that it's going to be a really "stripped down" show...but then just go balls to the wall...hahaha! (:

ralph

Was awesome last night! Play it again tonight boys.
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

smhoffmann02

Quote from: GO4IT on Feb 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
I agree with all of you that this is an amazing song, especially live.  The anticipation and reality of that last minute is a killer.

They played it at my first MMJ concert - Radio City Music Hall in June of 2008 - the opening of the Evil Urges tour, and it just blew me away.  I was hooked for life after that song.

Here's my video, the first one I took of the band.  Hopefully the intensity of the moment, including Jim climbing the wall, comes through:

My Morning Jacket - The Way That He Sings

Oh it comes through all right!  Effin chills every time...
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

APR

The genius of this song.  Listening to most MMJ songs I get totally blown away by the way that Jim sings and can't understand the words.   Then reading the lyrics you realize that what is actually sung, which just adds so much meaning and makes his songs even more meaningful.  But his soul is something MMJ die hards "get" --  the magnificent voice combined with passion and energy.

"The Way That He Sings" is almost ironic in that the actual lyrics are important in this song.   In other words, it helps to know the words particularly in this case so we can understand what Jim likes in other musicians which in turn kind of verbalizes what we like in his music therefore crystalizing why I (we) love MMJ so much.  What is important to him as a music fan is important to his fans, and everyone "gets" it. 

I'm sure a better writer could explain it better than what I just tried to do.  I guess I'm trying to say that Jim's lyrics are just as incredible making us lucky that the greatest singer and song writer working today is creating so much music for us to enjoy.